PDA

View Full Version : Top Issues

alliwrench
12-09-2012, 09:42 PM
I am new to BMW ownership, so please go easy on me. I bought a 98 323 ci for my daughter, and up till now, everything as worked great.

Last night she called and said when she started the car the top started to open on its own, without rolling the windows down, then got stuck about half way open.

I have been messing with it today, and doing some searches to try and gain some knowledge.

I finally resorted to releasing the motors to try and close the top manually.

I was able to fully open it manually, but I can't close it. When I get about 3/4 of the way closed, it just gets stuck. Just the front part. the rest of the top seems to be in a closed position. I have given it some firm pressure, but I don't want to break anything, so have not tried to force it.

It does have the full auto top.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, or I will have to drive it in for service with the top down.

Thanks.

E36ic4Me
12-10-2012, 12:06 AM
I'm assuming you are using the tool to try and lower it to the windshield? If so (which is the only way of doing it), you need to crank the tool with one hand while pulling down on the top with your other hand. It will not lower itself without being pulled down by you.

iturboh
12-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Another thing that has work for me in the past is, turn the car completely off with key out, then HOLDING the top up/close button turn the car but don't start it. After about 12 seconds of waiting the top will close by itself. Btw make sure that the motors are engaged. If this does work for you, put the top completely down and use the same method once it's completely down. This will re synch the top!

Good luck

110reef
12-10-2012, 03:48 PM
As E36ic4Me said, you must manually crank that last bit down, there is a little hatch above the mirror, take that off and use the crank in your tool kit or the appropriate sized allen wrench to crank it closed. It takes a lot of cranks.

alliwrench
12-11-2012, 06:48 AM
How far is the last little bit? I would say it is at least 10 inches from closing.

I did previously try cranking it, as I saw that on another post, but I didn't try pulling down at the same time. When I get back home I will give that a try as well.

Thanks

110reef
12-11-2012, 09:59 AM
The last little bit is probably 6-10 inches.

alliwrench
12-11-2012, 12:28 PM
That sounds about right, I will give it a try when I get back home on Friday.

Thanks for all your help.

On a related note, has anyone seen the top start to open on its own like my daughter described? Without lower the windows first?

E36ic4Me
12-11-2012, 04:23 PM
I've NEVER heard of an E36 having a top that spontaneously lowers all by itself.

alliwrench
12-16-2012, 02:10 PM
thanks for all the help so far.

I got the top to raise/close manually by cranking it, but now I don't know how to latch it. Do I just have to keep cranking it, or is there some way to engage the front latches?

Thanks
Terry

E36ic4Me
12-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Do I just have to keep cranking it?

Yes, exactly!

alliwrench
12-16-2012, 10:40 PM
ok, I think I have it closed now, but the crank is still moving. Should it stop when fully closed?

Thanks
Terry

E36ic4Me
12-17-2012, 12:57 AM
As I recall, it keeps spinning. Its been a long time sine I've helped someone do this in-person though.

110reef
01-02-2013, 02:01 PM
I am pretty sure it stops cranking when closed.