PDA

View Full Version : Trunk release rod disconnected - Trunk Stuck

vcrmax
11-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Solution Found.

I figured I'd post this in case anyone else ever finds them selves in this predicament. Long story short - I replaced my trunk latch and closed the deck lid to test it before reattaching the connecting rod.

After removing the rear seat completely hoping to find additional room behind the seat to gain access i was stumped. Access on both sides of the trunk is blocked by the Roll over protection system mechanism. So zero room either side on the ski pass through.

Next idea was to completely remove the ski pass through to see if that would give me any more access. Once I removed the bag and the pass through frame I noticed that reaching the trunk lock mechanism would still be impossible, plus I could not locate the rod as it had fallen and was no longer vertical.

Sitting there stumped I took one last look before giving up again for the day and noticed that the 2 bolts that hold the pin in the body were visible from inside the trunk. BINGO!! 2 feet of socket extension and an angle socket I was able to get at the two bots and remove them. Then with a fairly firm pull I was able to get the deck lid open.

***Note*** this procedure will damage the plastic trim piece where the latch goes into but it's an easy part to get from the wrecker and replace.

Reinstalled the rod correctly, closed the trunk and it now works perfect. $10.00 for a trim piece at the wrecker is a lot better than some of the crazy idea's I had heard!!

lol.