PDA

View Full Version : Pricing the 328

spervez
11-18-2012, 12:38 PM
I am considering getting a 2013 328i. I was hoping to get some advice with pricing. I used the 'build your own' tool on the bmw website. After adding the sport line, nav, sound system, heated seats and distance control I get an MSRP of $44,720. So...what should I realistically expect to pay for this car? I have heard anywhere from 2-5K below MSRP is reasonable. And I'd like to go into the negotiation well equipped (no pun intended). Any advice will be much appreciated.

Jamesons Viggen
11-18-2012, 01:28 PM
$40-41k would be solid. Basically 0-1000 over invoice is the goal.

335xi MSport
11-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Some tips from my experience (got my car for 54000 and it MSRP'd at 59000)

1. Don't go to the dealer if you're buying new. You already know what you want and how you want it, and if you don't do the research to find out.
2. Ideally at this point you've figured out exactly what you want (model, color, trans, options, etc...) Go to a local dealer and drive the car... don't make any indication that you're planning on buying... pretend you're more shopping at this point for what you want. If you like the car proceed to #3 otherwise repeat #1
3. Email 5-6 dealers in your area (or which ever ones you're willing to go out to) with something like the following

"Hello - I'm currently looking for a new 2013 BMW 3** with the following options (list out options in bullet list). I will be buying this car by date dd/mm/yyyy and am currently searching to see who can provide me with the best deal on this car. If this is something you can help me with, please provide me with your best out the door price (tax, registration, etc...) on the car"

4. Always ask for an out the door price... i've heard of people getting too focused on the base price of the car and then getting slammed with other fees... focus on the final thing that you're paying.
5. Negotiate EVERYTHING over email, if the dealer tries to get you to come in don't. Your save zone is away from the dealership at home where you can take your time and think about each word you type and thing you commit to. Also allows you to back out SUPER easily if you're feeling pressured
6. I would not play the (well he is giving me $xx,xxxx so you should give me lower) that will not get you very far... keep the dealer feeling like they're close to making the deal... things like this help

- Wow that such a good price, but its still a bit above my budget, is there any thing else we can do?
- That's a great price, but still more than i can commit to. Can we knock off just a bit?

this helps them feel like they own the deal instead of you owning it.

7. don't get in an argument with the dealer, you'll get no where and blow the deal. Don't call the dealer or let him call you during negotiation. Again they're very well trained in putting people on the spot.
8. Do negotiate in extra stuff, floor mats, shirt, whatever... make them work for you a bit
9. Once you both agree on an out the door price, have him actually write it up to you in mail; with the FULL breakdown

- option x = $
- option y = $
- Floor mats = $(0.00 hopefully)
- Tax = $
- Registration = $
- Total Out the Door = $

Note: if you're buying from a dealer out of state, they probably can't do registration for you, so make sure you account for that in your financial planning

10. Have him order the car for you via BMW
11. Wait.... a LONG time :)
12. Once the car is close to getting in (few weeks out) start shopping for financing. Also ask BMW to try and find a good financing option for you
13. When the car comes in and you're at the dealer, make sure you look over all the paperwork! sometimes they can be sneaky and wiggle something in without you knowing. so make sure the price is what you agreed upon earlier (this is why him writing you the email is handy as it's a paper trail).
14. Do a small walk around to make sure everything is in order, but at this point the car is yours...

Enjoy!

Source: I just ordered one

JohnnyO
11-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Some tips from my experience (got my car for 54000 and it MSRP'd at 59000)

Source: I just ordered one

Excellent note. Thanks for writing that up. So much of the generic car buying advice assumes you are buying off the lot where the dealer (it would seem) has a greater incentive to deal. It is good to see some techniques for the situation where you would be ordering a car.

Did you find much resistance to getting the dealers to negotiate over email? Five to six years ago, I did not have much luck with that tactic. As I hope to be getting a car in the March 2013 timeframe, I'm trying to stack the deck in my favor a bit more this time.

John

335xi MSport
11-20-2012, 01:47 AM
Excellent note. Thanks for writing that up. So much of the generic car buying advice assumes you are buying off the lot where the dealer (it would seem) has a greater incentive to deal. It is good to see some techniques for the situation where you would be ordering a car.

Did you find much resistance to getting the dealers to negotiate over email? Five to six years ago, I did not have much luck with that tactic. As I hope to be getting a car in the March 2013 timeframe, I'm trying to stack the deck in my favor a bit more this time.

John

No resistance at all, if they give you any i would suggest moving to someone else... what happened in your previous experience? where they just like (no you have to come in or we don't do biz)???

JohnnyO
11-20-2012, 08:23 PM
what happened in your previous experience? where they just like (no you have to come in or we don't do biz)???

Pretty much. They stopped being interested in negotiating.

335xi MSport
11-21-2012, 12:34 AM
Pretty much. They stopped being interested in negotiating.

again, this is why i don't really "negotiate" i more just tell them what i want up front and let them give me the best price.

here's what inspired me btw... link (http://bigthink.com/think-tank/how-to-buy-a-car-using-game-theory)

JohnnyO
11-21-2012, 10:21 PM
here's what inspired me btw...

That is pretty interesting. I sure wish there were more than two BMW dealerships within 75 miles.

Were you actually able to get an "out the door" price including avoiding all the hassle with them trying to sell you tire insurance, etc? I've been less annoyed by panhandlers in San Francisco that by car sales people. I really, really wish I could just click through the options, then hit the big red, BUY button online.

John

335xi MSport
11-22-2012, 03:04 AM
That is pretty interesting. I sure wish there were more than two BMW dealerships within 75 miles.

Were you actually able to get an "out the door" price including avoiding all the hassle with them trying to sell you tire insurance, etc? I've been less annoyed by panhandlers in San Francisco that by car sales people. I really, really wish I could just click through the options, then hit the big red, BUY button online.

John

Tire insurance?!? never heard of this... the short answer is yes. I copy pasted what i wanted from bmwusa.com to the dealer and said what can you get me this car for

RickVan
11-23-2012, 11:05 AM
My dealer pushed me for a wheel and tire insurance that would cover damage from hitting a large pothole, etc. Only an additional $35/month added to my lease payment - how could I lose! No thanks.

rolltidef30
11-23-2012, 03:45 PM
My dealer pushed me for a wheel and tire insurance that would cover damage from hitting a large pothole, etc. Only an additional $35/month added to my lease payment - how could I lose! No thanks.

$35 a month? What?!!

I haggled on the tire and wheel coverage and got it for $750, which was a discount from $1250 I think.

They wouldn't negotiate on the lease protection, so I passed on it.

I've tried to drive the car hard to pop a tire or two with no luck.

I read that the thinner square setup of tires on my Sportline and the fact they aren't Potenzas, makes them less likely to pop.

I won't get the tire coverage unless my next lease is the M Sport.

335xi MSport
11-23-2012, 05:49 PM
maybe it's different for lease vs ownership but i was not offered anything of the sort

rolltidef30
11-23-2012, 06:03 PM
maybe it's different for lease vs ownership but i was not offered anything of the sort

Honestly, I think it's a dealer option. My dealership is part of the behemoth Sonic Automotive.

That's why I knew I could haggle the cost of it. It was just a dealer money grab because it looks like the. Tires on my car are better than previous run flats.

jsdaly
12-04-2012, 01:09 AM
Previous posts are great if you want to wait a lot.
You may be pleasantly surprised with what the have in stock or are able to get in(redirecting in transit cars).
It pays to know what you want before you go in. I can assure you that the last week of December they will do just about anything reasonable to get your business but start talking with them know in case they have to redirect one.... Know what you are willing to finance ahead of time too. Lay it out clear and simple exactly what you want and what you want to stay under for total cost outlay (deposit/down first payment/ lease payment amount etc...)
Right now if you are a previous BMW owner and have a smart phone you can get 3300 from BMW direct in loyalty incentives (download the Ultimate drive app for an additional 500) before year end.
In addition to what BMW gave us, My dealer gave me an additional 2800.00 off my 2013 328xi including a full set of Form fit Winter Mats and the plush summer mats, a set of TPS monitors for my Winter tires (from my 2010 335xi) and matching Jackets for me and my wife.
If you are getting a lease you can decline all the additional offers like tire insurance and window insurance etc..(all icing High profit for the dealership finance department)
This is my 3rd lease and would never have collected on any of that "extra" stuff if I had purchased them. Also leasing through BMW you can likely expect them to offer to buy out your lease early. They bought mine 4 months early (just before I hit the mileage max) with no penalty or release/turn in fees.
The 328xi is a great car that has 95% of the fun factor of the 335xi for a LOT less $$
My wife is on an ECO kick now and is intrigued with how many miles she can extend each tank of gas in ECO pro mode.... (all of which I happily chew up in sport mode :-) )
I Highly recommend getting a separate set of proper Winter tires if you live anywhere with snow. Not only is it safer in the winter but may save you having to buy a set of tires when returning the lease.....

Happy car hunting...

jw30
12-16-2012, 10:46 PM
I was wondering if anyone else used this. I really like the strategy this guy uses. Glad if worked well for you and I can't wait to use it!

New Car Smell
12-17-2012, 03:19 PM
My wife is on an ECO kick now and is intrigued with how many miles she can extend each tank of gas in ECO pro modeAren't they all...