PDA

View Full Version : Weight reducing E39 touring as drifting / ice car?

MT Adam
10-22-2012, 12:47 PM
Hello!

Well, as you might understand, i like to be a bit different.. :lol But this may be my first projekt and i would realy appreciate some help from you!

As i already got a E39 which need spareparts (dented body parts) after an animal accident, what do you think about getting another E39 as a donor car, and maybe install a Quife diff and make some weigh reducing on it as i keep my old e39 for daily use?

I have looked at a 540, which unfortunately is very heavy (curb weight 1920kg) that i might buy. Is this crazy when i can get a 325 E30 for less money??

How much should i be able to lighten the car, without sacrifice to much of the comfort? I´m thinking of keep the front seats, stereo, wipers, exterior lights and the heat system (thats pretty much all luxury i need). When i think about weigh reduce this car, i can think it wont be so easy to reduce the weight at the front axle as the rear, any comments to that?

Best regards Adam!

RVAE34
10-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Getting rid of all the sound deadening, ABS system, airbags, HVAC, stereo and spare/tools etc would shave quite a bit IMO.

parkerbomar
10-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Getting rid of all the sound deadening, ABS system, airbags, HVAC, stereo and spare/tools etc would shave quite a bit IMO.

Rear and passenger seat and all carpet, pillers and headliner

MT Adam
10-22-2012, 01:23 PM

True. I can think there are plenty of sound deadening in an E39, so that would be one of the first things to do.

I've been thinking about the climate system and concluded that it is probably best to not remove it of some reasons; both of the driver's environment as well as to avoid mistin on windows. And hopefully i´ll be able to get some chicks in the car, and then of course i want them to have as little clothes as possible, instead of winter jacket, that is pretty important... :lol

I dont know how much the Audisystem weight, but maybe the best thing is to get an aftermarket HU with some speakers if the stock audio is heavy. I think i will enjoy some music while driving, so i dont think i want to be without any Audio in the car, even if it brings some more kilograms..

Rear and passenger seat and all carpet, pillers and headliner

My english isnt 100%, by pillers, do you mean things like interior trim? Yes i have thinking a lot about headliner and generally the weight on the upper half of the car, i can think that a lower centre of gravity will make some improvement of the handlingof the car.

What about weight distribution, can this be a major problem for me if i remove to much weight over the rear axle compared to the front? Of course i can compensate a bit with wider tires at the rear axle when the roades are dry, but on the ice and snowy roads this might be a bit trickier. Oversteer is fun, but i want to be able to drive pretty fast as well :)

RVAE34
10-22-2012, 02:11 PM
IMO, if you want a real drift/race car, you don't want/need a stereo. If nothing else, ditch the A/C compressor.

MT Adam
10-22-2012, 02:28 PM
IMO, if you want a real drift/race car, you don't want/need a stereo. If nothing else, ditch the A/C compressor.

Well, i am not going to make it to a pure drifting car, at least that is not the idea, but usually my projektstends to derail so i wont say for sure, but the idea now is to build and run something mostly for fun)

E39 Sean 540ia
10-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Sunroof is pretty heavy, carbon fiber roofs only weigh 8 pounds!

Sent from BF.com using my iPhone?

RVAE34
10-22-2012, 02:33 PM
I feel you should make a decision. You probably won't enjoy a mostly gutted street E39. And if you leave too many comforts like rear seats, stereo, A/C etc, then you really don't have a very good drift/race car.

In that regards, keep the E39 for the street and build an E30 for the track. Just my honest $.02.

MT Adam
10-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Sunroof is pretty heavy, carbon fiber roofs only weigh 8 pounds!

Sent from BF.com using my iPhone?

I think carbon fiber will be a bit to expensive for this projekt, at least for the moment. But i like the idea!

I feel you should make a decision. You probably won't enjoy a mostly gutted street E39. And if you leave too many comforts like rear seats, stereo, A/C etc, then you really don't have a very good drift/race car.

In that regards, keep the E39 for the street and build an E30 for the track. Just my honest $.02.

Well, i´m pretty pleased with my daily driving car, but maybe an E30 gives much more fun? Rear seats and most of the interior is planned to be removed however.

My budget is about 5000 euro, and i dont want to make an engine swap or turbo conversation. Do you think a 100 hp less E30 would be just as fun?

Citystars403
12-07-2012, 12:49 AM
interesting thread, looking to start a similar project with 540i/6 :rryum

KnudsonsM3
12-07-2012, 01:47 AM
Dont reduce any weight and add an moar power with LSD

Der Krieger
12-07-2012, 02:11 PM
By the time you get the sound deadening and carpeting out, you won't be able to hear a stereo.

treat44
01-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Relocate a light weight racing battery in a more central location. Remove roof rack. Dont forget the factory sub, if equipped.

MT Adam
02-11-2013, 12:15 PM
interesting thread, looking to start a similar project with 540i/6 :rryum

Nice! How is the plan going? :)

Dont reduce any weight and add an moar power with LSD

Well, add more power is pretty expensive at the 540. I think race catalyst and engine software is pretty much everything you can do if you dont wanna spend 2000 dollars on headers / 6000 dollars on supercharger? I think it is a good start to reduce weigh, or get an M5 from start. But i dont have the heart or money to strip an M5 right now...

By the time you get the sound deadening and carpeting out, you won't be able to hear a stereo.

Well, i am, but i think my hearing has deteriorated slightly since the sound deadening have gone out. but you have to priority! :buttrock

Relocate a light weight racing battery in a more central location. Remove roof rack. Dont forget the factory sub, if equipped.

Yes weight distribution seems to be the trickiest part! I think the best thing is to tear out ALL unnecessary parts, then get coilovers, then weigh the car and move the battery and easy-to-move-stuf ataound to the best positin before fine-tuning the dampers. Do you agree?

Unfortunately, I have not come so far in the project yet, but it would be fun to start a thread so we can share and hopefully get tips along the way, are there a forum section for this, or should images etc be posted in this pr a new thread?:)

silas656
04-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Sick idea, im doing the same with my 328i 97'. So far I took out my spare tire, carpets, 100lbs sub, rear seats. and excess tools. Im looking online for a tutorial on removeing the traction controle moduel and abs module but cant find anything :\