PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Level Warning

lostsole1970
09-23-2012, 03:34 PM
I have been receiving a coolant level warning on my NAV screen about once a week. The car's just about 6 weeks old. I took it in for service once & the dealer topped off, but said it was nearly full.

When a friend was in my car, he told me his wife has a 328i and she has constant false coolant level warnings. The dealer said it had sensitive coolant level warnings & not to worry about the warnings. That's not acceptable to me. Has anyone had this same issue and do you have a fix for it? Thanks!

H

Has anyone else had this problem & do you know of a fix for it.
Else had this problem &

bitchinbimmer
10-02-2012, 03:17 AM
Hi,

I recently dropped off my 2012 328i for this exact issue. My car is is about 4 months old and all of a sudden I began receiving those same errors on my Nav screen. I took it in to the service drive and they topped off the fluids telling me that would fix the issue. Sure enough I continued to receive the warning that my coolant level was low when it had just been filled. When I dropped it off for service last week the service rep mentioned that it could possibly be the sensor. I will be picking up my car tomorrow afternoon and will update you with what the solution was.

F30TSTurbo
10-02-2012, 02:02 PM
I have the same coolant low level warning. The dealer told me that it might be an overly sensitive sensor. I have then topped up the coolant and see whether this warning comes back.

lostsole1970
10-07-2012, 08:01 AM
I brought my car back in for service last week for the same issue, as my dealer had advised. They did a more thorough check and couldn't find anything. They got in contact with BMW and eventually were told that it was a faulty coolant sensor and a new one would be sent from BMW.

So BMW knows about this, so hopefully they'll inform their dealers soon.

I'll let you know if the part fixes the issue.

Peace.

White94RX
10-08-2012, 05:04 PM
We are replacing the coolant expansion tanks for this issue. I have already done several. BMW used a new style sensor that is built into the tank and apparently they are giving false readings

sak335
10-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Just like the E36....good to know BMW is constantly upgrading quality.

White94RX - any idea when the updated part got into the system? Our latest car is on the boat right now and I'd love to hear that they already started putting the part in new cars.

mryakan
10-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Just like the E36....good to know BMW is constantly upgrading quality.

White94RX - any idea when the updated part got into the system? Our latest car is on the boat right now and I'd love to hear that they already started putting the part in new cars.
New tech ==> new problems. They can stick to e36 technology and they will have 0 problems, but only some Bfc members will buy those cars ;).

sak335
10-12-2012, 08:26 AM
mryakan - you've missed my point. Coolant level warnings are the bane of every E36 owner and it appears that BMW has failed to improve the technology of the level sensor on the F30 - that was my reference.

mryakan
10-12-2012, 10:28 AM
No did not miss it. Just saying they changed the tech and inherited different problems with the same results. Maybe they thought they knew better, maybe it is a new supplier, or maybe just teething problems. All I know is that new tech usually brings new/old issues along. My point was that if they did what Toyota did for example and stuck with some tried and true old tech that has been improved over decades, you probably would get more reliability, but then you get a lot less excitement.

lostsole1970
10-12-2012, 02:55 PM
I appreciate new tech, but there's nothing really sexy about a coolant level warning. That's something that you just want to work on a basic level. Old tech on that would be fine with me and would have saved me 3 trips to my dealer.

On a side note, I do want to thank you for all of your posts. You are obviously well informed and knowledgeable. Your posts are very helpful.

rolltidef30
10-12-2012, 05:41 PM
I appreciate new tech, but there's nothing really sexy about a coolant level warning. That's something that you just want to work on a basic level. Old tech on that would be fine with me and would have saved me 3 trips to my dealer.

On a side note, I do want to thank you for all of your posts. You are obviously well informed and knowledgeable. Your posts are very helpful.

Well, you know that if you want to just stick with the old tech, you could just pop the ole hood, open the radiator cap and then stick your finger inside to check for coolant. If you can see it and feel it, then it's full and no need to roll to the dealer.

By the way guys, same procedure goes for the oil, brake fluid, etc. heck, those even come with a dip stick, so all you'll need is a paper towel to wipe it before sticking it back in.

This is old tech, tried and true....

White94RX
10-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Not really sure if they updated the part or not. Don't have a easy way of checking unless they release a bulletin or parts tells me the number superseded. But its not all of them anyway. I've seen a handful but that's not many compared to how many we've sold

lostsole1970
10-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Ever since the trip to the dealer, the coolant level warning hasn't returned. Problem solved!

lostsole1970
10-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Ever since the trip to the dealer, the coolant level warning hasn't returned. Problem solved!

cifbmw
02-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Has anyone been able to confirm what the reason for the LowCoolant message?

I had this pop up about 2 weeks ago, 328i, F30, this March will be a year, approx 18k km. I called the closest BMW and they said drive through and they would top it up. Upon inspection it was just below, about 1/4" below max line. Service guy explained possible for some to dissipate or loose over the almost 1yr of driving.

I watched from the waiting area while the "young guy" was going to top it up, I realized he needed my assistance when I saw him fumbling trying to open the hood, he kept feeling around for release latch. I explained you pull inside latch twice to release the hood, think he would know by now, almost a year since this models been out?

Before I could even point out where the max line was, only needed a bit to get to max, he filled the reservoir to the top, I mean top, couldn't get the cap back on without more overflowing? He said this was ok, not a problem, like I trust this guy, probably less than half my age? I do understand there is a pressure release on the cap to allow fluid to escape if the pressure builds, as the liquid will expand when it gets hot as the motor runs, but he left no room. My first opportunity I siphoned enough off the excess, level was know about 2" above max line.

In any case about 2 days later, same message appeared, I checked the level and was the same spot, approx. Left it alone, again 2 days later same message.

I phoned my BMW service to schedule first maintenance, due in another 1300km, but figured with this issue get it looked at ASAP, they agreed.

They mentioned there is a recall on my model, the system needs to be re programmed, updated and that would take a day?

When I went to drop off the car, a Friday, my service rep recommended I re schedule for a Monday or other day than a Friday as the programming can take a long time, so of went passed the day I would not be without a car for the weekend. I asked longer than a day? He said if it crashed and needs to restart can be lengthy? Does this make sense to anyone else?

When I explained my initial issue, re coolant level, he told me it was a known issue that should be resolved with the software update. Now is he just blowing smoke, is there a part recall, replacement required or is it a software glitch. Has anyone else had this resolved this way?

My appointment now a week today.

Thanks for assistance.

rolltidef30
02-19-2013, 09:03 PM
Has anyone been able to confirm what the reason for the LowCoolant message?

When I explained my initial issue, re coolant level, he told me it was a known issue that should be resolved with the software update. Now is he just blowing smoke, is there a part recall, replacement required or is it a software glitch. Has anyone else had this resolved this way?

My appointment now a week today.

Thanks for assistance.

I've had my F30 since early last March also and have already had the software update done. Others here even have reported the coolant glitch. It's a bad sensor or software which the update should fix.

Yes, the update takes all day. It's several GBs of data. Mix that with them updating several cars at once; there is only so much bandwidth at the dealership. I got a nice F30 loaner to do the update, fix a recall issue with the headrest, and an oil change.

As for the young guy. Give the kid a break, he's learning. We all were young once. During the Apollo projects, the average age of the engineers was 26. Those kids took us to the moon... With a little help from a few smart Germans. :-)

cifbmw
02-19-2013, 11:08 PM
I do IT and if the update is GB in size I completely understand the time required! Will see if the update clears up the alert.

I also realize the young guy is learning, that's why I didn't give him any grief, I just siphoned off some coolant myself.

Thanks for the quick reply!

babakp
08-07-2013, 10:24 PM
There is indeed a multiple recall which includes replacing the coolant reservoir tank.
After driving bimmers since 1984 non stop, I never thought id ever drive a bimmer, a 3er at that, with so many design issues. The f30 is the first ever for me with so many faults, steering blocks much of the inst cluster no matter how you adjust, front end shaky when breaking, trunk lid like a Mazda, seats look like they came from china, etc etc. Mr Van Hoydonk has left so much to be desired from our beloved bims....

rolltidef30
08-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Have to agree with the trunk lid, it is ridiculous how hard I have to slam the thing, but other then that, I don't see the other design flaws you speak of. I can see the instrument cluster just fine in comparison to the comp, and I'm 6'4, so comfort is hard for me in any car. However, my F30 fits just great after some adjustment, plus it's just so dang fun to drive hard! Only 2 recall items which weren't even a problem on my 2012.

My car was one of the first, so maybe I got lucky.

sak335
08-08-2013, 01:05 PM
My wife's F30 (Sportline, 6 speed manual) is a September 2012 build (2013 model.) It's now got 7,800 miles on it and it's had no problems to date. Perhaps these recalls were early issues that were caught and fixed; hopefully at the supplier level rather than the design level. I've not had to do anything but change the oil (midway through the service indicator cycle) and rotate the tires. I drove the car 200 miles yesterday and it was sublime; really pleased with it. Sorry to hear that some of you are dealing with issues.

DStein
08-29-2013, 11:49 PM
BMW is just trolling us.. trying to scare us.

Fortunately BMW, I know you, you know you, and I know that you know that I know you.

rolltidef30
08-30-2013, 11:47 AM
BMW is just trolling us.. trying to scare us.

Fortunately BMW, I know you, you know you, and I know that you know that I know you.

What???