PDA

View Full Version : Front Lic Plates...

335xi MSport
09-20-2012, 12:20 AM
What are folks thoughts about front lic. plates... would hate to be drilling holes in my car to support them.

Thoughts?

RickVan
09-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Leave them off if you can. My dealer said the front plate is no longer required in IL and no cop stops so far (1 month). The front end looks much better in the raw IMO.

Jamesons Viggen
09-20-2012, 10:00 AM
I told me dealer not to touch the front of the car.

mryakan
09-20-2012, 10:31 AM
If required, it is less headache to put them on. Been pulled over and ticketed for that and it is not fun nor taking time off to go to court. Drilling does not matter unless you move elsewhere where they are not required, and even then you can get color matches plugs. They look awful, but if it is the law, better not give cops a reason to pull you over.

335xi MSport
09-20-2012, 02:52 PM
I told me dealer not to touch the front of the car.

haha... :)

If required, it is less headache to put them on. Been pulled over and ticketed for that and it is not fun nor taking time off to go to court. Drilling does not matter unless you move elsewhere where they are not required, and even then you can get color matches plugs. They look awful, but if it is the law, better not give cops a reason to pull you over.

Guess i'll have to check around and see what the law is in WA. In the meantime i'll make sure they don't touch the front of the car

Mrcarcrazy
09-24-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm going front plate-less. I've been Front plate-less for many years. I've found that the more expensive the car the less I get harassed. (this is by no means scientific, just an observation.)

I've been pulled over a few times, but I've only received warnings thus far (knock on wood). But like I said in my more expensive cars I've never even been pulled over for it.

windsor027
09-24-2012, 10:12 AM
They are required in VA, I have been pulled over a couple of times, one driving a 2008 X5 4.8i and the other time a 2009 C350. Enough, I told the dealer to put them on. I hate it but you will get a ticket in VA.

grahamggg
09-24-2012, 12:55 PM
It is required in CA, but it seems like 1/4 of the cars around here have no front plate. I'm not really sure how they get away with it but I do know people who've ben ticketed...

I'd obviously rather not have the front plate, and I've considered removing it, but in the end I always decide that it would just be more of a pain to get hassled by the cops all the time...

jsedlak
09-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Any thoughts on the front tow hook plate holders? Seems fairly genius, actually. Though probably terrible for aerodynamics.

335xi MSport
09-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Is there any problem with putting the plate in one of the side air dams in the front? speaking strictly from a airflow perspective is there any need for that dam?

mryakan
09-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Is there any problem with putting the plate in one of the side air dams in the front? speaking strictly from a airflow perspective is there any need for that dam?
Yes, it directs air flow to cool the brakes. Also I find plates that are off center to make the car look pretty ugly, breaks the symmetry. If you plan to put them, why not put them where they belong, or just not put them at all. A couple of holes in plastic will not cause any issue and can be plugged if the plate is removed.

335xi MSport
09-25-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm thinking about doing something like this which doesn't require any drilling

http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml

jsedlak
09-26-2012, 05:22 AM
^ Not a bad option either, drilling in the bottom of the bumper is much better than on the front. It's amazing that car companies haven't solved this problem for us...

mryakan
09-26-2012, 10:20 AM
^ Not a bad option either, drilling in the bottom of the bumper is much better than on the front. It's amazing that car companies haven't solved this problem for us...

Well they haven't because the plate covers the holes needed to mount the plates and non visible holes in plastic are harmless. They could care less about the 2nd owner since they get no money off him, and I do not see why you should. Is it an emotional thing? Cars don't feel the pain of drilling.

ModBargains II
09-28-2012, 09:43 PM
We have the No Holes BMW License Plate Holder for the BMW F30 (http://www.modbargains.com/No-Holes-BMW-License-Plate-Holder-E9X-E36-E82-Z3.htm) available. You'll successfully be able to display your front license plate without the drilling of any holes in your bumper. It'll mount in your tow hook port and can be installed in less than 10 minutes. Here's a picture for you to check out!

http://www.modbargains.com/images/E90post%20Forum%20Pics/f30towhook.jpg (http://www.modbargains.com/No-Holes-BMW-License-Plate-Holder-E9X-E36-E82-Z3.htm)

335xi MSport
09-29-2012, 05:16 PM
We have the No Holes BMW License Plate Holder for the BMW F30 (http://www.modbargains.com/No-Holes-BMW-License-Plate-Holder-E9X-E36-E82-Z3.htm) available. You'll successfully be able to display your front license plate without the drilling of any holes in your bumper. It'll mount in your tow hook port and can be installed in less than 10 minutes. Here's a picture for you to check out!

Is it possible to have it in the middle?

J

Edit: stupid question sorry... If its on the tow hook port then only on the side

diamonde
01-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Learn from my mistake. I ordered my car custom. When it arrived I about had a fit to find they put the front plate on. Ok, I did have a fit. My sales person said, oh you didnt tell us. Uh...I bought the same car 5 years ago and they had me sign a waiver saying I didnt want the front plate. So now I gotta get the holes plugged. The dealer offered to fix the holes for cost. Ugh!!

Make sure to tell them you DO NOT want the front bracket put on. Totally and completely ruins the look.

willibn
01-31-2013, 01:53 PM
CALIFORNIA...

I live in Los Angeles an as you know there are many many cars and its car culture central. License plates are required on the front by state law, but people just do not care. Most tickets come when you're parked on the street in the wrong city. Rarely do you get pulled over for this. Either way its a fix-it ticket (approx. $20) and you have to show them its on to clear it. Drive down the street, pull over, remove lic plate, and wait another 2 years before you get a ticket again. If you have a garage at home, then this is obviously the best choice.

kobechrome
01-31-2013, 02:14 PM
What are folks thoughts about front lic. plates... would hate to be drilling holes in my car to support them.

Thoughts?

If required in your state, put them on. Its not worth a $100 ticket or the fear of always getting one.

mryakan
01-31-2013, 02:55 PM
CALIFORNIA...

I live in Los Angeles an as you know there are many many cars and its car culture central. License plates are required on the front by state law, but people just do not care. Most tickets come when you're parked on the street in the wrong city. Rarely do you get pulled over for this. Either way its a fix-it ticket (approx. $20) and you have to show them its on to clear it. Drive down the street, pull over, remove lic plate, and wait another 2 years before you get a ticket again. If you have a garage at home, then this is obviously the best choice.
I've been pulled over before for not having a front lic plate, here in Ontario and not in Cali, but it can happen. I decided the hassle of going to court to clear is is definitely not worth it. Remember that regardless of the ticket cost, most insurance companies probably count it as a moving violation. Makes it less worth the risk.

E36Fanatic5151
01-31-2013, 03:03 PM
Why don't you guys try double-sided tape or Velcro?

Georgere
01-31-2013, 03:11 PM
Why would you worry about holes on the bumper when for its entire life the car will have license plate covering them? I mean in the states where it is required.

mryakan
01-31-2013, 03:18 PM
Why would you worry about holes on the bumper when for its entire life the car will have license plate covering them? I mean in the states where it is required.
Exactly. It is plastic afterall and will not rust. Nor will the car scream in agony because you drilled her.

willibn
01-31-2013, 08:40 PM
I've been pulled over before for not having a front lic plate, here in Ontario and not in Cali, but it can happen. I decided the hassle of going to court to clear is is definitely not worth it. Remember that regardless of the ticket cost, most insurance companies probably count it as a moving violation. Makes it less worth the risk.
I have gotten 3 tickets for this in the past 5 years, 1 while driving. I never had to appear in court and insurance never saw them. Cheap fix-it tickets cleared by a CHP office on visual inspection. It's all just personal preference. Is it worth the anxiety/worry every time you see a police car? If not, and a clean bumper is your thing, then its a low cost choice (in L.A.).