PDA

View Full Version : Need Tranny - 2000 528iT manual - options?

rapnel
07-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Recently lost the clutch and even more recently confirmed that we lost the tranny too (today). Apparently clutch explosions can be detrimental to other moving parts.

I need to find a transmission and along with that need to find out everything I can about what my options are for this ride (2000 Touring - 528i - 5-speed).

The markings on the tranny are such:

ZF - BMW
2010-1

*Any* information that folks give me to help me along in my quest for a rapid replacement would be well received.

Thanks,
Randy

edjack
07-30-2012, 12:35 PM
This s/b it: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DP53&mospid=47595&btnr=23_0121&hg=23&fg=05

rapnel
07-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Yeah cool. I've been trying to make sense of the numbers he pulled off the tranny as there seemed to be no correlation to the oem listing. There seems to be several of the one listed at realoem in the wild. We're just worried that there is something we need to know about the link up on a touring. Worried about calling one in and getting a mismatch.

Thanks!
\r

rf900rkw
07-30-2012, 12:58 PM
It should be the standard ZF 5sp S5D320Z used in about every 6 cyl BMW 1992-2003. Plentiful and relatively cheap. How did you damage yours? Pilot bearing?

rapnel
07-30-2012, 01:28 PM
I'm not really finding any info that hints to the ZF S5D320Z not being the beastie I'm looking for and yeah, they do seem plentiful and relatively inexpensive. Small blessings (but won't count it just yet)

As for how - the clutch had been slipping under acceleration and before we got it in it left the planet while my wife was driving. According to her it was in the form of a loud pop and a bit of clang-n-bang.

My guy dropped in the clutch kit and flywheel and said 'the thing literally disintegrated' and after he buttoned it up realized it was going nowhere fast. He said he's pretty sure she (the car) dropped a chunk that locked it up tight. Having done a few of these he said I'd probably come out even in diagnostic time to bust into the tranny and find-n-repair (if possible) as about the same cost as flying in a replacement. I'd venture a guess that he's about right.

jase007
07-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Yowza!

My clutch disc blew up but no parts hurt the dual mass flywheel/pilot bearing/trans bell-housing/trans input shaft, etc...

Here is a pic:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ELnMD-9tuuI/T8THoICac7I/AAAAAAAAMVs/e4p1KkvVO6I/s640/P1010126.JPG

I would imagine you'd get a replacement trans (used) pretty cheap.

You doing any of the work or is indy doing it all?

rapnel
07-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Yup, just spotted one in the wild for 400 with 130k on it. Going to pick it up.

Indy's got it - I get the stuff from topside when I can and/or dare and he gets anything better served by a lift, all the right tools, a guaranteed extra hand and significantly more know-how than I have.

I have to get another new clutch disc too, suck - as the test drive (or non-drive as is the case) fused up the new disc. Piss and piss again.

The take away for this lesson boys and girls? If it slips - get it fixed! (Which I knew but ... these things don't always work as planned)

Just to button up this thread -

Picked up a 99 z3 tranny last night and now I just have to wait for the replacement clutch disk that fused to the dead tranny. I checked it out when I delivered the new kit. Locked up tight as a drum. Thanks for the help folks!

Further info on the "how did it happen" question is here now that I re-asked the "so what happened question" and it goes a little like this:

"I was driving (got that one thanks :) ) and I was down shifting into 3rd and I simultaneously heard "a loud bang, like something [important] broke off, and it popped out of gear. The whole car shuddered from side-to-side and I just about completely lost control of the vehicle. I stepped on the clutch and there was no resistance at all and with the remaining momentum rolled as far out of the way as I could." At the point of the shudder she adds that the entire car was skidding, screeching and would take no driver input whatsoever for the length of the shudder event. (what I'm sure felt about 100 times longer than it actually was). She rolled to a dead stop and phoned home. No crash, no casualties and less than five miles from home. All in all a fine break job if you ask me.

That's it, I'm out, thanks again.
\r