PDA

View Full Version : 2012 328i vs 335i decision

NOLA F30
07-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Hello

I hope this helps anyone out there in providing information in making a decision b/w the 2012 328i sport and the 2012 335i sport.

I must preface this by informing of my past BMW ownership and current ownership experience to build a foundation of my opionion.

We have been very fortunate and also very dumb in the number of BMWs we have owned in the last 5 years:

2007 335i coupe MT
2008 M3 coupe MT
2011 335i sedan sport/auto
2011 M3 competition MT- still own and will never part with!
2011 535I MT
and now...

After way too much research and >5 test drives of each vehicle..we pulled the trigger on the new 2012 328i sport. When the F30 328i was announced a 4-cyl I immediatley turned my nose up and questioned what is BMW thinking?

We have put 800 miles on our new 328i and now I am 100% confident to write and inform anyone out there struggling to make a decision on what to buy.

Purely stated..the new 3series and in particular the new 328i sport is one of the finest autos I have ever owned and one of the most enjoyable cars to get in and DRIVE..DRIVE like a sports car is meant to be driven! I downsized from my 2011 535i unit to this car because the excitment of driving was gone..well at least until my wife would let me drive our M3 :)! I forgot what an everyday driver should provide you..I missed the pure satisfaction of driving everyday..until now..the ultimate driving machine as once again earned it's reputation in the newly designed 2012 328i sport.

I knew early that I was ready for a downsize, however I immediatly assumed it would be the familar N55 engine that I knew well, but the more I investigated, the more I spent real time beihnd the wheel in each the decision to go with the 328i sport was the best decision I have made in cars in a long time!

For weeks I could not even be open to a 4 cyl car, much less my ego around paying $47K north for such a car when I could get the tried and true 335I for a couple (3,600K) thousand more...best decision I have ever made! After I test drove both the 2nd time, I started the begin rationalizing my potential decision with.."well we have a 2011 M3, why not the 4 cyl?" But on the 4th test drive it was over..why would I buy the 335i that did not give me the pure driving enjoyment that the 328i sport unit was consistently providing?

I have come to a place where I think that at the end of the day the BMW brass and the heart of BMW success the most innovated engineers in the business flat out did themselves with this unit and the GAP between the 335i at the end of the day was not enough..in fact the driveability and balance of the 328i in my opinion is BETTER!

Are you ready for this.. I like driving our 328i sport better than driving our 2011 M3 3 out of 4 times! Yes the M3 is a BEAST and I will never part with it, but pure daily driving satisfaction (at this time) rides with the new F30 4 cyl 328i sport. Forget fuel efficiency..pure driving..not stratight shots, but driving the vehicle with twist and turns, exceleration and agility..the 328i is the best option (IMO)

The future mods that will be available with this unit is also very appealing..get ready we will see numerous OEMs produce mods that will drive the cost of upgrades very inexpensive on this unit.

Good luck everyone. I am personally the most pleased 2012 BMW 328i sport owner in NOLA!

2011 M3 Competition/Space Grey/MT/K-40 installed radar and deflector..pure stock

2012 328i sport/ Alpine White with Black Dakota leather/red highlights/Premium/Technology/Sport Auto Tranny/BMW BT and Apps/Heated Seats/Sat Radio

Nola Joe

rolltidef30
07-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Great review Joe, and you are certainly an owner with cred.

I now have just over 5400 miles on my 328i Sportline, and have enjoyed every moment of twisty driving. It's pretty fast on the straights too!

I test drove both, and felt the 335i was unnecessary. Cost was only about $5k more, so money wasn't the factor.

PhiveThreePhive
07-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Does the F30 328i really handle and drive that much better than the F30 335i?

Edmunds shows the 328i to be about 180lbs lighter, but that's only 7% or so. I'm holding out for at least a test drive of the 320d before trading in my '06 330i

rolltidef30
07-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Does the F30 328i really handle and drive that much better than the F30 335i?

Edmunds shows the 328i to be about 180lbs lighter, but that's only 7% or so. I'm holding out for at least a test drive of the 320d before trading in my '06 330i

If you already drive a 330i, I wouldn't suggest a step back. You are already used to the power.

A test drive will tell you for sure.

The handling is a little more balanced in the 328i, but that doesn't mean that the 335i is at all bad.

JoeyDropTop
07-24-2012, 06:36 PM
The new 328 has basically the same engine as the older 330s

mryakan
07-24-2012, 08:24 PM
The new 328 has basically the same engine as the older 330s
Whaaa?! :confused The F30 328 uses the all new N20 turbo 4 banger!!

KenU8187
07-29-2012, 02:55 AM
Big problem with the 335 is the tires just don't cut it. Makes a huge impact on the drive however the new 328 is miles ahead of the outgoing model. Te diff in performance between the new 335 and 328 is very minor compared to the e90/2 models. BMW needs to up the output inthe 335 to the same levels as the 5/6/740 which is only 15 more HP and I think 20lb/ft but the standard 300/300 is just not enough compared to its little brother whose about 1sec slower to 60

08 white 335i sport prem. Second car first BMW

MiddleFingaz
08-01-2012, 08:15 PM
I keep reading a lot of good things about the new 328 vs the 335 compared to the difference between the older models.

Im still contemplating on what to get myself, but with a cheaper price tag and the new turbo in the 4, the 328i might be the way to go

hotdam
08-05-2012, 12:21 AM
I chose to go with the 335i today over the 328i for the split dual exhaust, extra power from stop and the pure extra "rarity" of the 335i.

MiddleFingaz
08-07-2012, 09:00 AM
I chose to go with the 335i today over the 328i for the split dual exhaust, extra power from stop and the pure extra "rarity" of the 335i.

I keep thinking the same. I will most likely lease, so the thing I keep looking at is the 328 is almost $100 less to lease LOL

I have yet to test drive them both, but from what I read, theres no other sound than the one that comes from the 335's turbo I6 and dual exhausts.

Rocket99
08-07-2012, 11:20 AM
I keep thinking the same. I will most likely lease, so the thing I keep looking at is the 328 is almost $100 less to lease LOL

I have yet to test drive them both, but from what I read, theres no other sound than the one that comes from the 335's turbo I6 and dual exhausts.

You want to test drive them both. Better yet, if you can get an F30 as a Loaner, go that route. I doubt that you can get a 335 as a Loaner, but maybe. I always found that a 10 minute test drive doesn't really give you a good feel or appreciation of the car. You'll see how fast it is, but that's about it. I like having a day or two with a car to really feel it out.

IMHO, unless you're hell bent on performance and more speeding tickets, get the F30.

ejr1953
08-28-2012, 10:23 PM
I am patiently waiting for my new 335i to arrive from the factory. I drove both the 328i & 335i, both had outstanding handling and power, but the N55 engine just seems to launch the car in an effortless manner, especially pulling thru corners. I'm sure I'd have been perfectly happy with the 328i, if I hadn't auditioned the 335i...but am glad I sprung for the extra cost of the six banger.

jlhertel
08-29-2012, 09:07 AM
I am patiently waiting for my new 335i to arrive from the factory. I drove both the 328i & 335i, both had outstanding handling and power, but the N55 engine just seems to launch the car in an effortless manner, especially pulling thru corners. I'm sure I'd have been perfectly happy with the 328i, if I hadn't auditioned the 335i...but am glad I sprung for the extra cost of the six banger.

I am in the exact situation and could not agree with you more. My 335 is supposed to be here 9/7. If I had not driven the 328, I would have been more than satisfied. Once I drove the 335, i had to have it.

335xiGuy
09-14-2012, 09:27 AM
I am in the exact situation and could not agree with you more. My 335 is supposed to be here 9/7. If I had not driven the 328, I would have been more than satisfied. Once I drove the 335, i had to have it.

Wow do I agree with you... I drove the 328 and it was a fun very quick but yet smooth drive.. I hopped in the 335 and took off.. Decided to get the 335 for the duals (split), the speed and that 335 badge on the back! Not to mention the N55. I am patiently awaiting my delivery of my 2013 black loaded xDrive Bimmer!!! EXCITED.. This forum is all I do now a days

jsedlak
09-19-2012, 08:40 AM
What are your thoughts on the 535i vs. the F30? Was the 535i sluggish? Or just boring and "heavy?"

windsor027
09-24-2012, 09:41 AM
With all due respect to the OP, my thought process thru all this was the opposite. I started out, ready to put the trigger on a 328i but the 335i manual with the dynamic handling package won me over BIG TIME. Since the one feature I wanted from all others, the manual transmission, for me at least the 335i was the car to get. Then when you pile on some of the options the price difference is not the 7K the two base models have.

Anyway I did extensive test driving, including the USABMW event, and I just found so much more "driving pleasure" in the 335i. The extra torque is perfect for a manual, the extra power is felt consistently with almost zero turbo lag, and yes the car may not be as agile as the 328i but no way anyone can tell me they will take their car to such limits on the street to use that little extra agility. But you can bet you will hear the sound and feel the smoothness of the N55 every single minute you drive. Not that the N20 is not a smooth and downright awesome motor, but lets face it, for smoothness and sound it doesn't hold a light to the N55, especially when its cold. Hell when its cold it sounds like my 35d X5.

Now as the OP said if you want an everyday driver, mpg is important to you and you want to keep your BMW under 44k then the 328i is an awesome car, no question about. Miles ahead of the E90 328i. that is my two cents.

Mrcarcrazy
09-24-2012, 09:59 AM
With all due respect to the OP, my thought process thru all this was the opposite. I started out, ready to put the trigger on a 328i but the 335i manual with the dynamic handling package won me over BIG TIME. Since the one feature I wanted from all others, the manual transmission, for me at least the 335i was the car to get. Then when you pile on some of the options the price difference is not the 7K the two base models have.

Anyway I did extensive test driving, including the USABMW event, and I just found so much more "driving pleasure" in the 335i. The extra torque is perfect for a manual, the extra power is felt consistently with almost zero turbo lag, and yes the car may not be as agile as the 328i but no way anyone can tell me they will take their car to such limits on the street to use that little extra agility. But you can bet you will hear the sound and feel the smoothness of the N55 every single minute you drive. Not that the N20 is not a smooth and downright awesome motor, but lets face it, for smoothness and sound it doesn't hold a light to the N55, especially when its cold. Hell when its cold it sounds like my 35d X5.

Now as the OP said if you want an everyday driver, mpg is important to you and you want to keep your BMW under 44k then the 328i is an awesome car, no question about. Miles ahead of the E90 328i. that is my two cents.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

NOLA F30
09-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Yes the 535i in MT was terrible.. I was driving a float!

I am willing to bet that experience driving can make up .2 secs...anyone want to line their 335 up against this 4 banger..please because I am beginning to think everytime I smoke one off the line that the dyno test/results where wrong!

I got frogging one day and lined up against my wife at a light in our 2011 M3 MT comp.. Yes I beat her off the line but after 70 yds...different story. I did not know what to feel??? So I switched cars and different story :).

I have found another side to myself with the echo mode.. I know how a Prius driver must feel.. Responsible and earthy.. :). The F30 N20 is a marvel!

Nola joe
Again, I am still smiling with my little 4 banger choice I made!

Ian1973
09-30-2012, 10:08 AM
I certainly appreciate the write up. I can see how the 328 would be all you have said, but remember the 335 is choked from the factory. It's a 3.0 liter, so there is much more potential in it then a 2.0L, just physics. A simple tune as I'm sure you are aware, gets the 335 so far above the 328.

I'm sure the 328 can also be tuned now, I'm sure the wastegates bleed to much pressure as the 335 does. But at least for the N54, getting ~30 percent more power and even more torque gains than that, I just dont see a 328 being able to compare once you get to the top of second and third gear.

Of course in my experience, the rear end of the 335 has trouble coping with all the power now. It feels like it's going to rip off the car at times. lol If I wanted to sacrifice ride quality, I'm sure a set of coilovers would cure that.

Jamesons Viggen
09-30-2012, 10:41 AM
I certainly appreciate the write up. I can see how the 328 would be all you have said, but remember the 335 is choked from the factory. It's a 3.0 liter, so there is much more potential in it then a 2.0L, just physics. A simple tune as I'm sure you are aware, gets the 335 so far above the 328.

I'm sure the 328 can also be tuned now, I'm sure the wastegates bleed to much pressure as the 335 does. But at least for the N54, getting ~30 percent more power and even more torque gains than that, I just dont see a 328 being able to compare once you get to the top of second and third gear.

Of course in my experience, the rear end of the 335 has trouble coping with all the power now. It feels like it's going to rip off the car at times. lol If I wanted to sacrifice ride quality, I'm sure a set of coilovers would cure that.

The stage 1 beta tune for the N20 is netting 270whp and 300+ tq. People are seeing 0-60 in the high 4's, low-mid 13's at nearly 105. Just wait and see what people will get with a proper stage 2, full exhaust, intercooler etc.

If you come from an background of small displacement FI, you know that if fueling is there, and the bottom end is stout, silly power can be achieved. My last DD had the VW 2.0TSI. It allowed an APR stage 3 kit which was just a bolt on turbo, no fueling needed, netted 350whp/350tq. GTI's were running 11's with proper tires.