PDA

View Full Version : F30 320d modern auto flaws

yujyh
07-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Got the car last week, great auto box, nice handling, nice options, nice design, but a few flaws/problems you guys might agree or not:

1. Oyster-coloured cluster instruments on Modern Line are not clearly visible in normal daylight; which is a massive problem with the turbos whilst in the city ;)... No possibility to digitally show the speed on either screens: extended black or the main central one (no I do not have head display)
I dont understand how this could go through legal checks
2. Fine Line Trim wood expansion/cracks when heated by sunrays/sunlight
3. Missing/not installed cabin boot opening button; maybe it is an option?! come on lol...
4. Side mirrors are not auto dimming even if the central mirror auto dims, this is optional, oops... At least I did not order the car from new that's my excuse, ex-demo
5. Basic Ipod/iphone connection requires a Y-Cable for standard models and it should be with the manual when you get the car delivered; mine wasn't and I was told I could use the Apple original cable by the dealer and have Bluetooth streaming, but you need options for those
6 . Dual Zone A/C cannot be on Mono mode to control the whole cabin if need be; BMW fans do not mind, I do. There is a fast freeze button to cool the cabin quickly, this could have been the mono button! Don't give me a lack of space excuse; u want to make the cabin cold quickly u should put in on minimum at a turn of the button!
7. The automatic wipers reset themselves after the vehicle is off, this is how it is designed, therefore they are really half automatic as require the driver to enable every time they might be needed. Yes that's useful if u get frozen wipers/windscreens or want to put ur car through cleaning; but hey?! You can switch off this function on a fully automatic Auto Wiper system normally. Really a pity here. Again, BMW fans will find excuses surely :)

I am thinking of returning the car. I still have a highly specced 2008 (new model) A4 in the garage for a week, I might keep it longer.

Too bad, this car is so great beside those...

mryakan
07-02-2012, 12:58 PM
You are being extremely picky on most things. Just return the car and be done with it. No car can be perfect for you I think. This is like not marrying a super model because her toes look ugly.

yujyh
07-02-2012, 01:23 PM
You are being extremely picky on most things. Just return the car and be done with it. No car can be perfect for you I think. This is like not marrying a super model because her toes look ugly.

I would agree with you if I wasn't paying for the car

Thanks for the advice

mryakan
07-02-2012, 01:29 PM
I would agree with you if I wasn't paying for the car

Thanks for the advice
Yes you are paying for the car, but it is not a custom made car, it is a mass production cars. Defects in material should not be acceptable and you have the right to complain about that and request they be fixed. Design choices, not so much. You can voice your opinion to BMW, but their engineers have the say in what default settings are and how the features work. They are the ones who know what laws they need to meet, what maintenance issues they may experience, etc. You may not like their design choices, but not like they were hidden from you when you bought the car. Heck the manuals are online for anyone to analyze word by word before buying if they choose to.
Good luck.

yujyh
07-02-2012, 01:36 PM
I agree with re the specs issues but re the cluster dials, cracks in wood trim due to dilatation and the missing boot button that's another matter I am trying to work through with the dealer

THEPOOLEMAN
07-02-2012, 03:05 PM
I drive these cars every day as I am a BMW client advisor I have never had and issue seeing the instrument cluster in any light I am not quite sure what you are getting at, do you wear polorized sunglasses ? they will make it difficult to see some screens.
The "boot" or trunk release is located on the drivers lower left hand side near the hood "bonnet" realese on ALL 3 series, and is not an option.
The self dimming mirors are part of the premium package, do you have a power moonroof??? If you answer yes to this then you do have self dimming mirrors.
I do not know of a vehicle on the market that has full auto wipers, i know for a fact that all new Volvo's, MBZ, lexus, etc you have to activate the rain sensor, please enlighten me on what manufactures offer this feature so can better serve my customers.
Could you post some pics of the cracks in the wood trim I am going to see if BMW has any Tech bullitins on the subject and I'll check with service to see if they have had any customer concerns regarding this issue and I'll let you know my findings
I agree with mryakan you should return the vehicle, The last thing I ever want to do is sell someone a vehicle they dont like
I am sad that you so dissappointed in your new BMW and you deserve to drive something you love when you are spending that kind of cash.

yujyh
07-02-2012, 03:20 PM
I drive these cars every day as I am a BMW client advisor I have never had and issue seeing the instrument cluster in any light I am not quite sure what you are getting at, do you wear polorized sunglasses ? they will make it difficult to see some screens.
The "boot" or trunk release is located on the drivers lower left hand side near the hood "bonnet" realese on ALL 3 series, and is not an option.
The self dimming mirors are part of the premium package, do you have a power moonroof??? If you answer yes to this then you do have self dimming mirrors.
I do not know of a vehicle on the market that has full auto wipers, i know for a fact that all new Volvo's, MBZ, lexus, etc you have to activate the rain sensor, please enlighten me on what manufactures offer this feature so can better serve my customers.
Could you post some pics of the cracks in the wood trim I am going to see if BMW has any Tech bullitins on the subject and I'll check with service to see if they have had any customer concerns regarding this issue and I'll let you know my findings
I agree with mryakan you should return the vehicle, The last thing I ever want to do is sell someone a vehicle they dont like
I am sad that you so dissappointed in your new BMW and you deserve to drive something you love when you are spending that kind of cash.

Thanks for that:
1. The oyster coloured cluster is cream with white ink numbering, I don't wear polarised glasses but honesty it is not easy to see; are u using the same coloured cluster?
2. Mine has no boot button but does have the slot for the button; I guess it's a defect then
Another comment about the boot opening but with the key this time is that you have to unlock the car first before u can unlock/open the boot with the key? That's not very convenient is it?
3. I was misinformed here initially on the mirrors
4. Full auto wipers is available on Audi a4s, a5s etc ; I guess on other vws like golfs etc
5. Ok will post the cracks pics tomorrow thanks

THEPOOLEMAN
07-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Happy to be of any help
The location of the boot release on the F30 is the same as E90 the pic below is of my E90 the button is on the left
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1O4uMnFzG_w/T_IpyVt7ucI/AAAAAAABIEQ/4HBokZWnsGg/w303-h227-n-k/000_0787.JPG

mryakan
07-02-2012, 07:55 PM
An I losing something in translation here? If you are inside the car, why would you need to Unlock it to open the trunk? It is already unlocked? I you are outside, no need to unlock, just press and hold the trunk unlock button on the keyfob and it will unlock without need to unlock the car. Also I you have CA, no need to even do that, just swipe your foot under the back if the car to unlock.

THEPOOLEMAN
07-02-2012, 08:15 PM
An I losing something in translation here? If you are inside the car, why would you need to Unlock it to open the trunk? It is already unlocked? I you are outside, no need to unlock, just press and hold the trunk unlock button on the keyfob and it will unlock without need to unlock the car. Also I you have CA, no need to even do that, just swipe your foot under the back if the car to unlock.
good point I didn't even think of CA

yujyh
07-03-2012, 03:17 AM

I meant you are outside the car, it is locked, u don't have CA, u just use the remote key to open the boot: u seem to first have to press the unlock car button before u can press the unlock boot one so that it opens itself...

Happy to be of any help
The location of the boot release on the F30 is the same as E90 the pic below is of my E90 the button is on the left

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8023/7492883178_4f34354309_s.jpg

As you can see mine is missing...

bigger size: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8023/7492883178_4f34354309_z.jpg

I will post the cluster and wood trim pics later this pm
tx

We have our reply here (http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690024) re the missing boot button, so apparently it is not installed on UK f30s; my Audi A4 has one so this is not even regulatory, this is completely strange as it is not mechanical but electric so it is not even a safety precaution.
This car has a keyless engine start/stop which means you can keep the key in your pocket after you have unlocked it from outside. So if you need to open the boot, which I do very often (daily at least 3 times) for my wife when picking her up etc whilst I am inside, I would need to keep the key outside my pocket in the car; I could get used to that but it defies a bit the idea of the keyless start-stop.

THEPOOLEMAN
07-03-2012, 06:52 AM
I meant you are outside the car, it is locked, u don't have CA, u just use the remote key to open the boot: u seem to first have to press the unlock car button before u can press the unlock boot one so that it opens itself...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8023/7492883178_4f34354309_s.jpg

As you can see mine is missing...

bigger size: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8023/7492883178_4f34354309_z.jpg

I will post the cluster and wood trim pics later this pm
tx

We have our reply here (http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?

t=690024) re the missing boot button, so apparently it is not installed on UK f30s; my Audi A4 has one so this is not even regulatory, this is completely strange as it is not mechanical but electric so it is not even a safety precaution.
This car has a keyless engine start/stop which means you can keep the key in your pocket after you have unlocked it from outside. So if you need to open the boot, which I do very often (daily at least 3 times) for my wife when picking her up etc whilst I am inside, I would need to keep the key outside my pocket in the car; I could get used to that but it defies a bit the idea of the keyless start-stop.

WOW now that's Euro for you I am going to look closely at all the F30s we have in stock and see if there are any vehicles that have the trunk release button delete.
Please keep in mind that the US cars can differ greatly than cars manufactured for the ECE, we normally get stiffed, Thank you for postiing the pic
On the remote keyless entry if you hold the trunk button down it will release the trunk without unlocking the vehicle, as a side note if you hold the unlock button down it will open all your windows and the sunroof as well.

yujyh
07-03-2012, 09:41 AM

Here are each crack picture:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8150/7494193578_885eb03504_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8432/7494195528_5e84781000_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7258/7494197996_087e8dbedb_z.jpg

Yes it looks tiny but the car is new, did this happen when the trim was applied or with the sun during this last w-e; I did not notice it when I got the car last Friday. It might get worse, that's my point here; already it can look quite weird to some but then it will look like beach wood (I like beach wood, not as a trim though lol)

Here is a pic of the cluster with the Automatic Lights ON but the sensor does not activate; anyway you can see how much contrast you get from a creamy dial in those conditions, the engine is ON fyi. I get those conditions quite often in the city fyi, not so much in the countryside unless the sky gets very cloudy.

You can see the need for the backlight to be always ON (as opposed to myself turning the lights ON manually (even so sometimes it makes no difference actually here), otherwise it would defy the Auto Lights function really) and a digital speed indicator could solve it.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7110/7494219048_98d0ec4c28_z.jpg

cahn935
07-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the advicehttp://www.**********.info/7.jpg

THEPOOLEMAN
07-04-2012, 08:22 AM
I was out of the dealership yesterday and today is a holiday, I'll be back at work Thursday,
The cracking is a warranty issue which the good news ( as you know ) I am wondering if this is going to a wide spreed problem or an isolated incident ?

eschantra
07-04-2012, 04:07 PM
The way that trim looks, I have a feeling that cracking is gonna be a common issue. It's odd to hear about the lack of an inside boot release, my wife's F30 has CA and the foot under the trunk comes in really handy. Hers is a sport line and the gauges are easy to read, as they were in the lux line I test drove. Maybe drive one of the other lines and see if it's any better?

THEPOOLEMAN
07-05-2012, 12:44 PM
I checked with the service department today , They have have NO reports from customers, or BMW NA regarding the cracking of wood trim in the Modern Line cars.
i personally checked dealerspeed and found no info on this issue.

Pyewacket69
07-05-2012, 05:56 PM
I checked with the service department today , They have have NO reports from customers, or BMW NA regarding the cracking of wood trim in the Modern Line cars.
i personally checked dealerspeed and found no info on this issue.

In the process of manufacturing modern cars, there are bound to be flaws in a percentage of cars produced.

So, in this case, it's very possible this car won the flawed trim lottery. It certainly happens with mechanical/electrical parts, so why not trim?

I have to be honest, when I drove a new 328 with this style trim, I really didn't like the looks of it. It really seems to be in the realm of either loving it or not wanting it at all.

I much prefer the smooth walnut style trim in my 2010 328 over the "sculpted" look of the wood trim in question here, but even in that trim, occasional defects occur.

Now, of all the complaints the OP originally described, I think the complaint about the dash gauges was much more concerning. In the picture of the dash, it does appear difficult to see the dials, but maybe it's just the picture...

THEPOOLEMAN
07-06-2012, 11:21 AM
The way that trim looks, I have a feeling that cracking is gonna be a common issue. It's odd to hear about the lack of an inside boot release, my wife's F30 has CA and the foot under the trunk comes in really handy. Hers is a sport line and the gauges are easy to read, as they were in the lux line I test drove. Maybe drive one of the other lines and see if it's any better?
It seems odd to me as well, However, this is a vehicle produced for the ECE not the US and we all know the euro cars can differ greatly from the vehicles produced for the US market.

In the process of manufacturing modern cars, there are bound to be flaws in a percentage of cars produced.

So, in this case, it's very possible this car won the flawed trim lottery. It certainly happens with mechanical/electrical parts, so why not trim?

I have to be honest, when I drove a new 328 with this style trim, I really didn't like the looks of it. It really seems to be in the realm of either loving it or not wanting it at all.

I much prefer the smooth walnut style trim in my 2010 328 over the "sculpted" look of the wood trim in question here, but even in that trim, occasional defects occur.

Now, of all the complaints the OP originally described, I think the complaint about the dash gauges was much more concerning. In the picture of the dash, it does appear difficult to see the dials, but maybe it's just the picture...
I agree 100% not being able to read the instruments is an issue.

mryakan
07-06-2012, 03:36 PM
The reason I voted "return the car" is because aside from the trim issue, I doubt any of your concerns can be addressed, at least not in this model year, so no good for you.
That being said, if it were me, I would just enjoy the car, these are very minor issues that can easily be overlooked or worked around.

yujyh
07-08-2012, 04:30 AM
One thing which looks like it could be addressed is retrofitting a media combox to enable album artwork, bluetooth audio and office?
This looks like it could be done even if there is no nav installed, the dealer is checking that ATM

yujyh
07-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Dealer just told me and retrofitting S06NK (Enhanced BT) is not possible on my car according to BMW UK, pity.

So apart from a great driving experience with a fantastic auto gearbox I am a little bit left off on the gadget side to be honest, not much difference with my 4 years old audi.

Maybe I should forget the gadgets and concentrate on the pedals more lol!!!

yujyh
07-17-2012, 08:28 AM
Good news, the dealer has been very helpful and understanding and I am getting another car which matches my expectations; same but black in black with 6NL and more, fantastic news and very happy, can't wait!!!