PDA

View Full Version : Tinting with class

JHMartinMD
06-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Have a 2012 535i with xDrive, dark graphite. Previously I have driven SUVs, last an MDX, and they have always had privacy glass in the back and a subtle tint on the front. Now driving my wife and daughter around in the BMW I'm getting "the suns too bright". I did not get the privacy screen option , D'oh.

So I am looking to tint the windows but I don't know what to do. The dealership told me they use one place, and that place only offers charcoal tint in 35% , 25% , or 10%.

I want it to look classy, not ghetto, but offer some decent privacy. What do you guys think, tint all the way around? 35 or 25? Should I do 25 on the back sides and rear and 25 in the fronts like most SUVs? Or should I find another installer who offers more options like ceramic tint, other %'s, etc...

EDDIE528i
06-17-2012, 10:08 AM
I went with 15% and it came out great!

gdaE34
06-17-2012, 06:50 PM
If you want classy, go with 35% all around. I have 30% on my E34, black on parchment, and it is pretty good (I really wanted 35%, but I doubt the difference is big). You can see in a little during the day, even darker with the sunroof closed (or shade pulled) and seeing out at night is just as easy. Not to mention cops don't seem to care about the lighter tints.
All in all, I think 30-35% is the perfect tint all around. Never do darker in the back that the front. Always be consistent.

arkeith1
06-18-2012, 05:43 PM
If you are looking for just protection of your vehicles interior and not just the darkening of Your windows, they do have clear tint films that protect just the same. A bit pricey though!

Definition of ghetto: A usually poor section of a city inhabited primarily by people of the same race, religion, or social ...

meteck
06-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Might also want to check local laws. :confused

robMMC
07-08-2012, 09:58 PM
I recently went through the same question and decided on 1 step up from limosine which I believe was a lot more than 35%.

Ghetto in a nice way, BUT way too much contrast looking out and also dash is definitely harder to read during the daylight. I was concentrating on the outside looking in, and blew it on the inside looking out.

The big saving grace is that it is MUCH more comfortable driving in So. Cal.:nono

42Pilot
07-13-2012, 09:58 PM
I had the ceramic based tint installed for $250. It blocks UV and IR, and with a reflective windshield screen, the car stays relatively bearable in the hot Georgia sun this summer. I got the darkest legal tint which is 35% (I think) and its actually not that dark, but looks very nice with the graphite metallic paint.

Critter7r
07-16-2012, 11:45 AM
If you want classy, go with 35% all around. I have 30% on my E34, black on parchment, and it is pretty good (I really wanted 35%, but I doubt the difference is big). You can see in a little during the day, even darker with the sunroof closed (or shade pulled) and seeing out at night is just as easy. Not to mention cops don't seem to care about the lighter tints.
All in all, I think 30-35% is the perfect tint all around. Never do darker in the back that the front. Always be consistent.

I agree with this for the side windows, but going a step darker for the back glass helps the not-quite-so-dark side windows appear darker from the outside while not making it harder to see out.

P.S. Also keep in mind that the percentage that you see on tint is the percentage of the amount of light that comes thru the tint.

I.E. 5% tint is limo, and 35% is pretty mild.

McQuaig68
07-18-2012, 09:24 PM
A bit pricey though!http://www.bdoh.info/7.jpghttp://www.bdoh.info/huantest.jpg

mdobin
08-14-2012, 05:42 PM
I just tinted my 535i. 35% on all doors and 25% in the rear. the installer suggested the clear film for the front for sun protection. It is non-metallic, so it doesn't interfere with comfort access and toll passes. I am very pleased and it has made a difference in the amount of A/C I need and the sun on my arms and hands.

I am in South Florida. Let me know if you need a name.