PDA

View Full Version : Remote starter Vs. Warranty

ccrc2001
06-08-2012, 11:53 PM
Hello BMW drivers, I'm new to this site. I recently ordered the 2012 528i xDrive, it should be in the states by the end of this month. I thinking about a remote starter, particularly the Viper Smart Start installed by a dealer of course, but I'm worried about how this could or will affect my warranty. Does anyone have any information to share with me on this ?
Thanks

wildvan
06-09-2012, 11:20 AM
If you are having a BMW dealer install it, they should inform you ahead of time of any changes to your warranty, just ask them ahead of time.

ccrc2001
06-09-2012, 04:52 PM
No I'm having the best-buy install the remote starter they are an authorize dealer for the viper remote smart start. I wasn't even aware that BMW could install a remote starter... Has anybody heard of this? Or used BMW dealer to install a remote start on the latest models? Mine is a 2012, 528

No I'm having the best-buy install the remote starter they are an authorize dealer for the viper remote smart start. I wasn't even aware that BMW could install a remote starter... Has anybody heard of this? Or used BMW dealer to install a remote start on the latest models? Mine is a 2012, 528

I meant Bestbuy

ElleShooTiger
06-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Oh dear jesus, you take a honda or chevy to have shit installed at Best Buy! Do not take a brand new 60k car to them, while they might have some good techs, most of them are pretty dumb and these cars are very electrically-complicated. One small mis-step on their part and your car can have tons of electrical issues which your warranty will NOT cover.

Ask your dealer/service advisor who they'd recommend.

wildvan
06-09-2012, 10:17 PM
I agree with ElleShooTiger, I was hoping you were going to your BMW dealer, go talk with them about were they would get such a thing installed, I would never take my BMW to best buy unless I was getting a new TV.

ccrc2001
06-10-2012, 12:33 AM
LOL, @ElleShooTiger, when you put it that way, I can see how bad of an idea that was LOL. good point and note taken, I'll take to the BMW Dealership and get some info on installation for the remote starter. in the mean time if anyone has already done so let us know.
@Wildvan, thanks for the advice, you guys are right, thanks again.

ElleShooTiger
06-10-2012, 01:39 PM
The last time I was at my mechanic, they had a 03 745i there, formerly ghetto-fabulous car that the previous owner took to a grrrrreeeat shop and got a sound system and other crap installed. Now, the car's dash was mostly apart, with the techs trying to figure out why half the modules in the car werent waking up or talking to each other. Not exactly a cheap repair.

Stereoinstaller1
06-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Ever heard of the Magnusen-Moss act?

ElleShooTiger
06-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Ever heard of the Magnusen-Moss act?

What the heck does that have to do with this?

That covers that parts you install correctly, and of good quality, do not void your warranty. However, parts installed incorrectly DO void your warranty.

Big difference from installed aftermarket brake pads, and a complex electrical box with 20+ wires going to various modules that can be extremely picky about signal voltages and inputs. This isnt a simple starter like back in the day where all you had to do is give a starter signal, or turn the computer on and give a starter signal.

For this car, and most newer cars, you also have to copy the key code properly in order to fool the computer into thinking the key is inserted. Plus his car may be push-start, which means that all starting is done electronically and his system will have to interface with all the other computers to do it properly.

arkeith1
06-10-2012, 02:46 PM
At the end of the day it's just a car whether it cost 30K or 60K BMW dealesr aren't the only ones that can do quality work give me a break.

ElleShooTiger
06-10-2012, 03:52 PM
At the end of the day it's just a car whether it cost 30K or 60K BMW dealesr aren't the only ones that can do quality work give me a break.

LMAO! Look at the wiring on most 60k cars, then look at the wiring on most 30k cars. That extra 30k usually means going from 2-4 computers, to more like 10-30 computers and modules.

BTW we're not telling him to have a dealer install it, they may not even do it. But if he wants to install something like this, he MUST take it somewhere that knows what they are doing. Best Buy is not that place.

ccrc2001
06-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Folks, I didn't mean to start conflicts, but I have to agree with you guys, I will need to use a reputable company if the dealership does not offer the service. The Viper Smart Start System has good reviews, I'll have to do some more research on the system itself, but the company (Viper) has a good reputation and has been around for quite some time. I just need to find the right dealer to install it, better yet hopefully one that other BMW owners recommend.
Thanks.

meteck
06-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Sounds like a plan.:)

silvabmdub
06-12-2012, 10:35 AM
There is a reason BMW doesn't have remote starts as a factory option.

They are pretty strongly against them because the the way the engines are.

I work at a dealer and asked if I should put one in my 1997 M3 and with out batting an eyelash I got a "NO".

ccrc2001
06-12-2012, 11:53 AM
I see, thanks for the information. I'll talk to the dealer about this also; living in MA as most of you in cold weather region can understand the reason for heating up the inside of the car before driving off especially when having babies and small kids with you. But is there a significant difference between remote starting and starting the ad and letting run for a while before driving off?