PDA

View Full Version : Really silly - how to shut car off!?

glitched79
03-21-2012, 09:07 AM
Hi everyone!

I just picked up my new 328i, and I absolutely love it!

One thing I can't seem to figure out, though... How to shut it off! I know, I know, why would I ever want to? But seriously, it seems like every time I turn it off, it does something different.

Here's how I usually do it - come to a stop, press the "P" on the shifter, pull up the parking break, release the break pedal, then press the start/stop button.

At that point, sometimes everything shuts off inside the car like I expect, or sometimes everything but the radio shuts off, and I have to press the start/stop button one more time to get everything to shut off.

I've read the manual over and over again, and it seems very vague about this. It talks about Radio Ready mode, which is what I'm assuming it's entering when the radio stays on, but I'd rather that everything just shut off when I press the start/stop button the first time. Is there some sort of sequence of events I need to follow to do it correctly?

I'd like to figure out how to get everything turned off. If I need to press the start/stop button twice to do that, I'm fine with that. It's just that sometimes pressing once shuts everything off! So I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Otherwise, this car is outstanding!

Thanks for your help!

mryakan
03-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Did it come with Comfort access (not sure if that is standard now)? If so, could it be the keys on detection?

glitched79
03-21-2012, 01:19 PM
It did come with the Comfort Acces, so I guess that could be it.

I keep the key in my right jean pocket. I'll try with the key in a cup holder or something next time.

silvabmdub
03-21-2012, 03:59 PM
I drive these things all day every day at work.

Push the park button
Push the start/stop button(engine now shuts off but all accessories stay on
Push start/stop button again again and everything should turn off.

Or instead of pushing the start/stop button a second time, you can just lock the car after the engine is off with the remote and everything will shut off and your car will lock

glitched79
03-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Great! That's what I thought the process was.

But sometimes, everything shuts off the first time I press the start/stop button, so I'm wondering what I'm doing differently when that happens.

mbsl98
03-23-2012, 01:42 PM
If it is like the last generation, it has to do with just how long your finger is on the start button. A quick push shuts off all but radio (and possibly a few other thngs), and then a second push puts it all to sleep. However, a slightly longer first push will put everything to sleep at once (no radio on). In mine, the time difference is pretty slight. If you didn't have CA, you would always need to push start, and then press fob to release key, but teh above works with CA. I just recently learned this on another board - I don't think it is in the manual.