PDA

View Full Version : Rear spoiler

777mech
03-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Did any 633's ever come with a trunk lid spoiler? Or was it only the 635? I was thinking of putting one on my 80' 633, or is this a dumb Idea

tschultz
03-13-2012, 03:50 PM
You can, but if you have clean paint/ trunk lid, it may be worth while getting a donor lid that may already have the spoiler.

The trunk lids are all the same, so it would accept any style of rear spoiler (be it an early or later one).

Big Six
03-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Dont forget it will involve drilling holes in the trunklid.

Roku35
03-13-2012, 06:10 PM
It is really personal taste. Some folks like it and some folks don't. Just make sure you are able to find a period correct spoiler (it is not a dumb idea). I think they make the E24 look great. There are a few styles to look for. If you want to be period correct (1980), it is the bulky rubber spoiler made for the earlier (E12 Base Cars). I see one on eBay every once in a while. They are not available new anymore. You may be able to find a new M-Tech rear trunk spoiler, but it will require some color paint matching. I like the mid 80s euro style rear spoiler seen here. I wouldn't look for any other after market spoilers to install.

628 CSi with FOUR drilled holes :eek:

BEFORE: :nono

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab311/hawaiisharks/Hime-san/628-12.jpg

AFTER: :D

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab311/hawaiisharks/Hime-san/628-nobadge.jpg

tschultz
03-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Measure twice, drill once...

I drilled into my 535 trunk lid, but man Roku, you are brave!! That looked immaculate before, so i would cringe at ruining that finish.

oldymcoldington
03-13-2012, 08:00 PM
the rubber is pretty wide, i just bought a trunk lid spoiler for my '84, not worried about drilling etc, I think it really finishes off the car :)

Roku35
03-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Measure twice, drill once...

I drilled into my 535 trunk lid, but man Roku, you are brave!! That looked immaculate before, so i would cringe at ruining that finish.

Yup! I was very nervous. I made and attached a template to fit before drilling. I actually hit a place in the trunk where there was a double sheet of metal to drill through :eek:. After drilled, I gobbed the rustproofing paint in the holes then gobbed the sealant and gaskets in the holes as well before screw down. Fit nicely and I was happy :D

Although the euro spoiler was new, it is not the solid type that I comes out of the factory. I was a little disappointed about buying a newer one and it being softer and more pliable material. I still wouldn't mind replacing it with a good shape original (solid) one. I still love the euro look on it. With current events, all my plans for her went out the window. She is not getting any attention lately :( Much more important family stuff to take care of now.

EddieDV
03-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Where can i find this spoiler? Do they still fabricate them or do you have to get one from an e24 that came with it originally?

drapes
03-14-2012, 02:46 PM
OP, does your car have a front spoiler? If not, then I think it might be a bad idea. I've read that a rear spoiler alone creates lift at the front end at speed. I'm not experienced enough to know if this is true or not or at what speed, but it seems plausible.

EddieDV
03-15-2012, 12:19 PM
I really really doubt the little deck lid would create enough downforce to lift your car.. You'd have to be going extremely fast for it to even be plausible

Roku35
03-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Where can i find this spoiler? Do they still fabricate them or do you have to get one from an e24 that came with it originally?

Every once in a while, one pops up on theBay. Folks in this forum usually will be storing one for a rainy day as well. Put out a WTB, list/describe what you are looking for and I'm sure someone will chime in with one or with a lead to one. Great place to resource parts. There are a few fellows here who regularly find old junkers to partout good parts for the community. Which one are you looking for?

Big Six
03-15-2012, 07:07 PM
You can still buy it new from BMW. Retails for 500-600 at last check.

Most of the used examples are dried, cracked or warped.

Roku35
03-15-2012, 09:42 PM
You can still buy it new from BMW. Retails for 500-600 at last check.

You are referring to the M-Tech being available right? Not the rubber Euros?

Big Six
03-16-2012, 03:36 PM
No, the rubber euro is still avail. Same as yours.