PDA

View Full Version : F10 Spare Tire

daniel2002p
03-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Hi all,

I am not a big fan of the Run Flats at all, and even more hate the fact that the 2011 528i does not come with a spare tire.

I have searched all over the web and I have found quite a few ways to buy a kit anywhere from $300 to close to a grand.

Anyone ditch the run flats and get a kit in case of a puncture?

Thanks,
Daniel

doeboy10
03-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Daniel I agree with you. I hate the run flats. my buddy got a flat on his leased 550i and spent $2400.00 for a set of f'ing runflats! the first quote was $3000 at an independent tire shop. WTF? did Obama take over BMW? why are they doing this to their customers? I can't tell you happy I was when my happy flat run flat didn't make it back to the dealer and I had to park it my 2008 650ic in front of a liquor store in a crummy town and wait for my wife to come and get me. 45 minutes away. then I returned the next day to put the key in the car and got it flat bedded to the dealer friday afternoon and they said they were too busy to fix it, maybe monday.

what have you found for kits I am interested Mark

daniel2002p
03-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Here is what I found so far, cheapest option around.

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Performance_Spare_Tire/BIM-SST-F10-KIT.html

Total is $494.90 with shipping, which is kind of steep but if it works I guess.

Thanks,
Daniel

doeboy10
03-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Daniel thanks for the link. sad that we have to do this kind of crap after purchasing an expensive car. with all the options bmw offers, why cant a spare and non runflats be an option? thanks again

meteck
03-10-2012, 02:12 AM
Can't say that I've been unhappy with my rft's. Even after tearing out the sidewall, I was able to drive home and then to the tire dealer for replacement. Mostly, I've never had to get out and change a tire. I've had 3 pressure failures without having to change the tire myself. :buttrock

daniel2002p
03-10-2012, 01:43 PM
The only thing I don't like about the run flats is that you can't patch them. Small puncture and it's 4 new tires. Just doesn't seem right lol.

NAL
03-10-2012, 02:59 PM
The only thing I don't like about the run flats is that you can't patch them. Small puncture and it's 4 new tires. Just doesn't seem right lol.

How's it "4 new tires" if you get a "small punchure" in 1? :conf

I highly recommend the BMW Tire and Wheel Warranty. Worth every penny.

daniel2002p
03-10-2012, 08:13 PM
How's it "4 new tires" if you get a "small punchure" in 1? :conf

I highly recommend the BMW Tire and Wheel Warranty. Worth every penny.

That's what the dealer told me, and what's this warranty? I was never offered this when buying my BMW. Also the fact that one puncture means a new tire is not easy to swallow.

bimmerzone
03-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Daniel
Thanks for the mention.

Sad to say that the cost of the rim,tire and jack (to us) are just so high to begin with...
but the good news is we actually offer free shipping in the lower 48 states
So you can actually get just the tire and rim (already mounted) for $284.95 with free shipping
and get a basic jack at your local auto store (just make sure you have the BMW adaptor)

Hope this helps.

Vincent

Here is what I found so far, cheapest option around.

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Performance_Spare_Tire/BIM-SST-F10-KIT.html

Total is $494.90 with shipping, which is kind of steep but if it works I guess.

Thanks,
Daniel

meteck
03-16-2012, 10:56 PM

It's also not true. I had one repaired with no problem. and why would you replace all 4 for one problem anyway. :eek:

daniel2002p
03-19-2012, 10:22 PM
That is good to know and I'm not sure why the dealer told me RF cannot be repaired... Maybe to sell me new tires or something :)

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

Keyser Soze
04-07-2012, 01:32 AM
It's also not true. I had one repaired with no problem. and why would you replace all 4 for one problem anyway. :eek:

You can have them patched, I had the them patched a few times on my Vette, but BMW does not recommend patching a runflat.

Of course, that way the dealer can tell you that when you bring your car in for service they can tell you that they found a nail or a screw in your run flat tire and the tire must be replaced - and that they will not allow the car to leave the dealership in "such a dangerous condition", forcing you to purchase an overly marked up expensive tire or tires.

Been there, done that. I told the dealership that I will not pay $1900 for two (only two) front tires....and if they don't release my car to my wife I will call the police department and tell them that my car is being held for ransom and let them deal with the authorities. They let my wife have the car back and we haven't returned to BMW of Monrovia since.

bimmerzone
04-07-2012, 06:07 AM
Wow... talk about being a $tealership

Been there, done that. I told the dealership that I will not pay $1900 for two (only two) front tires....and if they don't release my car to my wife I will call the police department and tell them that my car is being held for ransom and let them deal with the authorities. They let my wife have the car back and we haven't returned to BMW of Monrovia since.

Sara849
04-08-2012, 06:15 AM
Sent from my iPhone using BF.com http://www.**********.info/7.jpg

samuel0728
01-10-2013, 12:41 AM
When i trade my new 2011 BMW 528i no one told me the different from old 2004 BMW 525i everyone should watch what you getting no spare tire, no emergency kit, no cigarette lighter and most of them no garage door opener
i got flat tire i have to leave my car and took taxi over 100 miles pay over $400 for taxi and order tire what waste i use to like BMW not any more specially spare tire

kjmurphy
01-13-2013, 07:36 AM
Nearly 27K miles on my RFs (Goodyear LS2, 245/45/19) and no issues to date. Might reach 30K before they need to be changed. Will most likely change to non-RFs, improved ride and significantly less expensive, and leaning towards the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Not willing to give up a significant amount of trunk space to accommodate a spare so I will most likely go with Fix-a-flat and a compressor. Has anyone else gone this route?
Kevin

brd319
02-01-2013, 03:48 PM
My run flats are OK...but it all depends upon how many pot holes you hit. I bought a set of Winter tires and wheels w/TPMS and always keep a tire/wheel in the back. I can't believe a $72K car doesn't come with a spare. How embarrassing it would be to be on a business trip with executives and get a flat, and tell them to wait 4-6 hours to figure out WTF is going to happen. Shame on BMW. They could have put in a pint sized tire as a spare.

hockey135i
02-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to this site but wanted to give my opinion on this topic of the F10 no spare issue. First off, I've managed a high-end dealer for 7 years that specializes in BMWs. Anyways, in short, yes BMW is ridiculous by not accompanying this vehicle, as well as many E90 sedans, and my lovely 135i convertible without spares. My professional opinion: 1. Purchase Michelin Pilot A/S Sport Tires. My wholesale dealership cost through TireRack is $1,150 (including shipping to your door step) for a staggered set of 19 inch m-sport wheels. They'd be cheaper I'd assume for 18 inch wheels. If you need these, you could message me and I'd order them for you at my cost, maybe you could leave me a review or something just saying I'm a nice guy. There's many other tires you can put on for as low as $730, depending on how picky you are. ** The first time you drive your vehicle with the Michelin tires, you're going to be amazed at how well they perform. They're made 20 minutes from the local BMW factory in Spartanberg, SC. I just put a set on an AMG E63 and I have to say they really make you feel safer while enjoying your ride like you're supposed to. 2. Purchase one of these: Slime 70005 Safety Spair 7-Minute Flat Tire Repair System 12-Volt - You'll have to google this since I cannot post links yet. This is a repair system that uses an air compressor and sealant to fix your vehicle's tire on the side of the road. It fits easily in your trunk and saves you a lot of space over buying a spare. ** On the subject of runflats not being able to be repaired, I have to strongly disagree. First off, my father has worked at major chemical and tire companies (BASF and Toyo.) He has told me without a doubt the runflats are able to be repaired. Like regular tires, if damage is too close to the side walls, you're going to want to take precautionary action and buy a new tire. But any nail in the center tread 1-2" from the sidewall can be plugged and patched. Make sure to use the plug, patch, and sealant method. I've seen this executed in person. BMW makes a boatload of money buy upselling you and getting you to purchase new tires. I hope this is helpful to you guys/gals. Looking forward to being active in the message boards! - Tony

virafp
02-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Tony, I agree with your comments. I had run flats on my Mini S and could not wait to get rid of them. Changed to regular tires, and never looked back.

Thanks for your offer on the tires....I may take you up on it.