PDA

View Full Version : Wow! It's like a completely different car

rlane97
02-22-2012, 08:44 AM
I picked up the 6er from the shop today after the installation of the Ireland Engineering headers, Magnaflow 2-in-2-out cat, and the B&B stainless exhaust. I asked B&B multiple times if the exhaust was a direct fit for the quirky '80-'81 exhaust they assured me it would be, it wasn't, but my muffler guy installed new hangars and got it fitting right.

Holy *$^() it's a totally different car :evil: . Ireland estimated with all the new parts that I might get 20+ horsepower, he might have been low. The car has significantly more power. The car always felt a little sluggish, but I just figured it was just that it is a 32 year old car with 186hp. I don't know if the old cat was killing it or if it just needed to breathe better all around. It's not like my E36 M3, but it cut the divide in half. It might give the E46 325i I had a run.

On the way back to my office I was at a light beside a '03-ish Mustang GT and he took off so I goosed it a bit after a normal start and stayed within a car length of him.

The exhaust is definitely louder, but not too loud. Nobody's gonna mistake it for a Honda with a coffee can (or a farty muffler as I like to call it), that's for sure.

I couldn' be happier, which is good, b/c I could have bought another pretty nice 6er for what I spent on parts and labor.

BoldUlysses
02-22-2012, 10:04 AM
That's awesome! Any chance of posting a sound clip or vid and letting us in on the goodness?

dbc011
02-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Ditto. I'd like to see pics.

M3AVUS
02-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Nice to here that your car can finally breathe.

I doubt it was giving an extra 20+ horsepower with those simple bolt-ons but it may perhaps allowed the car to run more on the normal side than limp.

Congrats!

Matt190
02-22-2012, 11:46 AM
I think I have the same setup on my car too. I know it's a magnaflow bu I'm not sure what kind. It sounds awesome though huh??

M6csi
02-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Nice to here that your car can finally breathe.

I doubt it was giving an extra 20+ horsepower with those simple bolt-ons but it may perhaps allowed the car to run more on the normal side than limp.

Congrats!

Ditto! Old exhaust system was probably clogged up, thereby causing the engine from producing normal power. The newer exhaust probably cleared up these problems. The addition of various new performance parts do not equate to compounding HP gains.

Boogieboy
02-22-2012, 07:52 PM
In for clips or pics.:)

My exhaust says "Bosal", I looked up the name but found very little info on it?

simon b
02-22-2012, 08:07 PM
In for clips or pics.:)

My exhaust says "Bosal", I looked up the name but found very little info on it?

It's the stock system.

Boogieboy
02-23-2012, 11:16 AM
It's the stock system.That what I figured, I am going to delete the cats, and resonator after I tighten up a small leak.

bimas
02-23-2012, 11:34 AM
That is a dream setup you have there.

Not to hijack...but my donor exhaust that I am using on my project is pretty interesting. It is 1-piece from the headers all the way back to the muffler; includes a newer CAT. I that the whole think is about 2 years old; has no markings, the muffler is round like stock, pipes beefier, and the hole system sounds mean but not too loud. Maybe it was custom build by a local exhaust shop? Regardless, I am using it - I am saving enough on a new exhaust system to use the money to paint the car!

rlane97
02-27-2012, 08:49 AM
I only ran it up to about 3500 rpm, but here it is.

http://s920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/rlane97/1980%20BMW%20633CSi%20-%20Graphite/?action=view&current=Exhaust.mp4