PDA

View Full Version : 2012 550xi vs 550i performance & handling

jjscott
02-03-2012, 06:11 PM
I’m trying to decide between the 2012 550xi & the 550i. I live in Northeast Ohio, but I don’t plan on driving the car too much in the winter. It will predominately be driven in the spring through fall months. Therefore, I have several questions:

1. Is there any benefit to the AWD over the RWD model or vice versa during the summer month?
2. Will I be sacrificing any performance by going with RWD vs. AWD?

I did a brief Google search and found some people posting that the AWD model had better slightly better 0-60 times than the RWD. I had one dealer tell me that you will notice a “difference” in cornering between the two in non-winter type conditions. He wasn’t very specific about the difference except to say that the AWD handles heavier due the approx. 200 lbs it carries for the front transfer cases and that he preferred the RWD.

This is my first BMW and I don’t want to sacrifice performance or handling - period. I am an aggressive driver. I like corning at high speeds. I like a responsive suspension and steering design.

I look forward to your feedback.

xcore
02-03-2012, 06:25 PM
based on what you have said, stay with the rwd model and never look back.

meteck
02-03-2012, 07:05 PM
It also gets better mpg. :)

535F10
02-04-2012, 12:48 PM
The Xi has a hydraulic power steering unit and the i an electric one. They feel a little different. If you get an i sport which comes with summer tires, you will lose performance when the temperature goes below 40 degrees or so even if there is no snow. If it goes much below freezing it just isn't wise to drive aggressively with summer tires. On the other hand, if you get an Xi which comes with all-season tires, it will not preform as well as the summer tires will above 40 degrees, but better below that temperature.

Bimmernerd
02-12-2012, 04:16 PM
based on what you have said, stay with the rwd model and never look back.

I agree although I have an x-drive model myself (only 2000 miles, 530d xDr Tour). The current xDrive system has got bad reviews because of too much weight, inconsistent handling (understeer, oversteer) vs the Rwd models. The hydraulic steering has also been criticized. According to the German car magazine Auto, Motor & Sport both Audi A6 and Mercedes E-class have better Awd systems. They say Audis A6 quattro is much more fun to drive than the 5-series with x-drive. Better handling, steering, the car feels lighter etc etc....

acepilot
02-12-2012, 06:04 PM
I'd avoid the performance tires unless you get the tire protection insurance.