PDA

View Full Version : A 4-cylinder 328i?

Remphoto
01-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Our '09 328xi is going off lease later this year. It has been a great car and is the 4th BMW we have had with the Straight 6. We love that configuration's turbine like smoothness and wail when being flogged.

My understanding is that the new model 328 comes with a turbo-4. It is supposed to be very fast. However, it it is anything like the Audi/VW turbo-4, we may be getting something else. The Audi engine has a typically 4-cylinder roughness, exhaust note and meager fuel economy.

Any thoughts on this topic?

mryakan
01-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Check out our F30 section. Thread towed there.

Here is one review for your enjoyment:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-bmw-328i-3-series-sedan-first-drive-review

Remphoto
01-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Check out our F30 section. Thread towed there.

Here is one review for your enjoyment:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-bmw-328i-3-series-sedan-first-drive-review

Thanks! Was thinking about a 135i, but will look closer at the new 328i.

sjpgoalie
01-15-2012, 01:27 PM
I think it's going to put the audi/vdub 2.0T to shame from what I've been reading. And I think they've done their homework, too. I'm sure that it will be fairly smooth for an i4. I'm sure that they are trying to put a bigger gap between the 335 and the 328.

Belgianwaffle26
01-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Yea this is pretty big for me because my car is the 2.0t A4, my dad drive's the 328xi. And it seem's that the new bmw turbo 4 banger is going to be a very nice motor. Much smoother than the vw/audi 2.0t (due to it's fsi). However there are vast tuning route's for the vw/audi motor. All in all it's going to be a pretty close run, when modded. But for stock im sure the BMW will stomp the vw/audi 4, especially if the overboost function found in many of the new force induced bmw motors is carried over!

BimmerBri84
01-18-2012, 12:41 AM
The new 240HP Inline 4 is amazing! Been driving a 2012 528i loaner car with the same engine and I was quite surprised on the power it has. I love BMW. :)

mryakan
01-18-2012, 04:06 PM
The new 240HP Inline 4 is amazing! Been driving a 2012 528i loaner car with the same engine and I was quite surprised on the power it has. I love BMW. :)
How does it sound compared to the I6 328, esp. at higher revs? Any harshness?

BimmerBri84
01-18-2012, 10:19 PM
How does it sound compared to the I6 328, esp. at higher revs? Any harshness?

There is some roughness when accelerating from a stop...but I believe thats from the Auto-engine shut off and then starting back up (A feature I find highly annoying). Other than that, it sounds relatively the same as the I6. I would like to really see how this engine performs in a lighter weight car as the 3Series. My friend works at the local BMW dealership, so I'm going to have to schedule a test drive! :redspot

Rudolph320i
01-18-2012, 11:41 PM
lucky man, leave the car in sport mode and they dont do the whole shut off thing at a stop light.

Savannahian
01-28-2012, 06:46 AM
good to know about the sport mode and shut off. Thanks

Rocket99
02-18-2012, 01:41 AM
. . . but I believe thats from the Auto-engine shut off and then starting back up (A feature I find highly annoying).

What exactly is the "Auto-engine shut off" feature?

Other than that, it sounds relatively the same as the I6

What about the way it feels? Any resonance or vibration that 4's are famous for? The I6 has got to be one of the -- if not, the -- smoothest engines in the world. I'd hate to give that up.

apocalypsegoat
02-18-2012, 11:01 PM
What exactly is the "Auto-engine shut off" feature?

What about the way it feels? Any resonance or vibration that 4's are famous for? The I6 has got to be one of the -- if not, the -- smoothest engines in the world. I'd hate to give that up.

I think the auto engine shut off is similar to where the Prius shuts its engine off when you sit for a certain amount of time to save gas. Highly annoying for performance but good if you drive like a grandpa.

Rudolph320i
02-18-2012, 11:06 PM
yea when you come to a stoplight itll kill the engine until you hit the gas, then it restarts and drives off. I would have to constantly have the car in sport mode so that feature is disabled.

Rocket99
02-19-2012, 12:58 AM
yea when you come to a stoplight itll kill the engine until you hit the gas, then it restarts and drives off. I would have to constantly have the car in sport mode so that feature is disabled.

And I guess on a hot day, the a/c would shut down too when the engine stops? Very nice.

Rudolph320i
02-19-2012, 09:51 AM
I can see why they did all that stuff, I just hope there are tunes eventually that kill the start-stop stuff later on.

nextstep
02-19-2012, 03:51 PM
works very well and makes this a better car.

When being used, the engine starts up extremely quickly after your foot gets off the brake. For those unaccustomed to having the engine stop when the car is at rest for a few seconds, this at first feels strange. After the first day this behavior becomes normal. I actually like the silence of the engine when I have stopped. There is a slightly noticeable sound and vibration that the engine has started - similar to what one sees in hybrids.

The car's logic in using the auto stop/start includes having the engine up to normal operating temp, battery sufficiently charges, passenger area within range of thermostat, etc. There are also setting one can choose regarding the trade off between fuel economy Vs climate control.

To turn off this auto engine on/off, there is a button to press right above the start button to turn this mode off in any driving mode (Eco pro, comfort, sport, sport+)

When on the highway I have been averaging about 40 mugs, while acceleration is better than the previous 328i

mryakan
02-19-2012, 07:35 PM
And I guess on a hot day, the a/c would shut down too when the engine stops? Very nice.

No, it is smart enough to know when not to shutoff. Too many conditions to list here, but maintaining the cabin temp is one of them.

mryakan
02-19-2012, 07:36 PM
I can see why they did all that stuff, I just hope there are tunes eventually that kill the start-stop stuff later on.

You can easily disable it without need for tunes.

Rocket99
02-20-2012, 12:45 AM
The car's logic in using the auto stop/start includes having the engine up to normal operating temp, battery sufficiently charges, passenger area within range of thermostat, etc. There are also setting one can choose regarding the trade off between fuel economy Vs climate control.

To turn off this auto engine on/off, there is a button to press right above the start button to turn this mode off in any driving mode (Eco pro, comfort, sport, sport+)

When on the highway I have been averaging about 40 mugs, while acceleration is better than the previous 328i

Thanks for that info. That clears a few things up. Sounds like you're really enjoying it.

When my warranty runs out on my 2010 328, I'm going to give the F30 a serious look. They should have the Xdrive by then.

MN MCoupe
02-20-2012, 09:17 PM
I just test drove one on saturday (328i 8 speed auto) and i was very impressed.
It picked up speed very quickly. The driving modes are great, I played around with them a lot. Sport mode is what I drove in most ofter and shifted myself. The shifts were quicker than expected. Very powerful and a smooth powerband. The comfort mode was great for relaxing driving, and the eco mode was a bit too sluggish for me. I was at 1200 rpm doing 35 mph, great gas mileage.
I cant wait to drive a manual, but overall I was more than impressed with the car, and the new motor.

Rocket99
02-20-2012, 11:21 PM
I just test drove one on saturday (328i 8 speed auto) and i was very impressed.
It picked up speed very quickly. The driving modes are great, I played around with them a lot. Sport mode is what I drove in most ofter and shifted myself. The shifts were quicker than expected. Very powerful and a smooth powerband. The comfort mode was great for relaxing driving, and the eco mode was a bit too sluggish for me. I was at 1200 rpm doing 35 mph, great gas mileage.
I cant wait to drive a manual, but overall I was more than impressed with the car, and the new motor.

I see you're from MN. Are you going to wait for the xDrive?

MN MCoupe
02-20-2012, 11:32 PM
I see you're from MN. Are you going to wait for the xDrive?

I'm not interested in buying. I just bought a new 135i a few months ago. I drove one because I wanted to see how it felt, with the new motor and trans. But I'm sure the xdrive will be a big seller here in mn

E36HellRotM3
02-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Hey Guys,

We just had a brand new F30 328 6 speed sport line here at Turner for the day yesterday. We had the car on the dyno, scales, lift and also took it for an extensive test drive. Overall we were very impressed with the car. The dyno results revealed how strong the 4 cylinder really is. It produced 241 rwhp and 274 ft-lbs of torque. It weighed right over 3400 with about 1/4 of a tank of gas.

Judging by the dyno numbers and the performance we believe this car is going to be highly tunable with simple modifications such as an intercooler, blow off valve, downpipe, exhaust and software. The car has a very similar power curve as an N54 335 or 135. The torque is immediate and horsepower climbs all the way to about 6000 rpm. Torque begins to fall off somewhere between 5 and 6000 rpm.

The start/stop feature can easily be shut off with one touch of a button right above the on/off engine ignition button. The driving modes are awesome as well, the econo mode makes it kind of a dog but good on gas. Its awesome how much different the modes feel (suspension, throttle, power, and steering) The electronic steering rack can really change the feel on the wheel between sport and economy modes. We thought that this car was going be really heavy and slow but it wasn't we weighed an 07 330 right after the F30 and they were within 40 lbs with each other. Given the F30 has a 4 cylinder so it has a lighter drive train and engine but still very suprising.

The car got great reviews from everyone in our shop including Will himself, our R&D department and race team.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I think BMW did a great job with this car and I would take it over a 6 cylinder 328 or Audi 4 cylinder any day.

ptbenic
02-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Seems like they should call it a 320i Turbo instead of a 328i, and give us another option before the 335i. Four cylinders and BMW 328i does not sound right. ptb

cmhbmw90
02-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Seems like they should call it a 320i Turbo instead of a 328i, and give us another option before the 335i. Four cylinders and BMW 328i does not sound right. ptb

BMW and 4 cyl have worked very well in the past and do now. Go drive one and then make a decision.

mryakan
02-27-2012, 07:37 PM

There is already a 320 F30 (not in the US though) and not much room power wise between it and a 335. Plus n/a I6 is going the way of the dodo it seems :-(, so not much to offer below the 335.

MartiniFK
02-27-2012, 08:15 PM

I just had a convo with my buddy about this a few hours ago...

RAAS al Guggy
02-27-2012, 08:41 PM
That's right, BMW doesn't make good 4-cylinder-powered cars.

(Looks at Martini's cars) :cool

BMW and 4-cylinder 328i doesn't sound right...please. :rolleyes :stickoutt

mkeath
02-27-2012, 11:12 PM

What's your reasoning? I was under the impression (and I am by no means a BMW expert) that BMW was all about performance wrapped in luxury.

Rudolph320i
02-27-2012, 11:30 PM
well they called the old 745i what they did when it was a 735i with a turbo, but had the predicted output of a 4.5 from those days.

ptbenic
02-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Perhaps I am purist, but when I was in Hong Kong in the late 1980's I had a 318i with the 1.8L engine, when in London in the early '90's, I had a 320, and it had a 2.0L engine. I bought a new 528i in the States with the M52 2.8L engine in 1998 and it is still humming along with 175,000 miles -- and still gets 30 Hwy/22 city. I was thinking about a new purchase of the F30 328i, but was a bit disappointed that it is not a more efficient 2.8L engine like in the past -- but rather a 2.0L Turbo, thus why I think it is misnamed -- it should be called a BMW 320T. For sure, it is probably best for BMW marketing to call it a 328i. What is also disappointing is that after 14 years, the gas mileage is only 5 mpg better on a 2.0L BMW engine versus the BMW M52 2.8L engine. I already know what a BMW drives like, so was not ready for the 4-cylinder Turbo variable. As I am looking for the Xdrive model, my decision is moot at this stage. Time will tell. Chrs, ptb

mryakan
02-28-2012, 05:52 PM
it should be called a BMW 320T. For sure, it is probably best for BMW marketing to call it a 328i. What is also disappointing is that after 14 years, the gas mileage is only 5 mpg better on a 2.0L BMW engine versus the BMW M52 2.8L engine. I already know what a BMW drives like, so was not ready for the 4-cylinder Turbo variable. As I am looking for the Xdrive model, my decision is moot at this stage. Time will tell. Chrs, ptb
A 320T will not sell in the US. People are attached to names and the 328 is a better selling name, at least that is what BMW marketing folks think, and I bet they know a thing or two given how well BMW has been doing lately. And if you want to compare gas mileage, why not compare horse power too, how much did your M52make? Roughly 30% more power with 20-30% better fuel economy is pretty good in my opinion!

Rocket99
02-28-2012, 06:03 PM
BMW and 4 cyl have worked very well in the past and do now.

I had a Porsche 944 turbo that used a 4 cyl. It was powerful and silky smooth. Porsche knows what they're doing and so does BMW.

I still have 12 - 18 months to go before my warranty runs out, and I'm going to be giving the new 328 a very serious look. They'll have the xDrive by next year.

MartiniFK
02-29-2012, 01:37 AM
That's right, BMW doesn't make good 4-cylinder-powered cars.

(Looks at Martini's cars) :cool

BMW and 4-cylinder 328i doesn't sound right...please. :rolleyes :stickoutt

Sadly it doesn't have the s14 in it.
It's a great motor but needs to be rebuilt before 100k and it's expensive to do.

txvette
03-10-2012, 12:11 PM

105 degree day in Texas, you don't want the thing
shutting off for even a minute. ??? seems like it needs
to be running at its best. If have just a little hesitation or
balk, could get rear ended fast ???? Years down the
road, going to be interesting how this feature
holds. Saying in hands of people once the car loses
it warranty or 3 or 4 owner

mryakan
03-10-2012, 05:41 PM
It monitors the outside temps, and cabin temp+HVAC settings, and will not shut off if that means inconvenience to the occupants. So don't worry. In any case, you can always turn it off.
Also not sure why this increases the chances of being rear ended :confused.

kevbuys
03-13-2012, 05:57 PM

It will stay running if the temp is above 85 outside and below 35. Also uses a "frozen coolant" to keep the AC running when shut off. Besides you can deactivate it with a simple push of a button on start-up.

Foglght
03-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Hey Guys,

We just had a brand new F30 328 6 speed sport line here at Turner for the day yesterday. We had the car on the dyno, scales, lift and also took it for an extensive test drive. Overall we were very impressed with the car. The dyno results revealed how strong the 4 cylinder really is. It produced 241 rwhp and 274 ft-lbs of torque. It weighed right over 3400 with about 1/4 of a tank of gas.

Judging by the dyno numbers and the performance we believe this car is going to be highly tunable with simple modifications such as an intercooler, blow off valve, downpipe, exhaust and software. The car has a very similar power curve as an N54 335 or 135. The torque is immediate and horsepower climbs all the way to about 6000 rpm. Torque begins to fall off somewhere between 5 and 6000 rpm.

The start/stop feature can easily be shut off with one touch of a button right above the on/off engine ignition button. The driving modes are awesome as well, the econo mode makes it kind of a dog but good on gas. Its awesome how much different the modes feel (suspension, throttle, power, and steering) The electronic steering rack can really change the feel on the wheel between sport and economy modes. We thought that this car was going be really heavy and slow but it wasn't we weighed an 07 330 right after the F30 and they were within 40 lbs with each other. Given the F30 has a 4 cylinder so it has a lighter drive train and engine but still very suprising.

The car got great reviews from everyone in our shop including Will himself, our R&D department and race team.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I think BMW did a great job with this car and I would take it over a 6 cylinder 328 or Audi 4 cylinder any day.

I'm actually really curious about the dyno numbers.

Did you start recording at anything lower than 3krpm? The point of this engine is to bump fuel economy and do it at low rpms which turbos aren't known for.

Also saw this which made me more curious about low end torque numbers: http://www.bmwcca.org/node/4008

These manufacturers don't do a chassis dyno type test when they rate these engines. They set a load and rpm point and wait for it to stabilize before taking a reading. That means the turbo has about however much time it needs to spool giving false numbers for real world driveability. I would actually challenge anyone to go and get the rated torque numbers (with drivetrain losses of course) at the rpm they claim.

AlpinaClearLake
04-05-2012, 06:35 PM
What makes the 328i is the 8 speed transmission. We have customers that drive both the 328i and the 335i and most are pleased with the smooth performance of the 328i. However when we have a previous customer that has an I6 he or she will almost always go back to a 335i.

F30TSTurbo
04-08-2012, 10:52 PM

I have a feeling that BMW will do away with the Start/Stop feature in future models. Imagine stuck in a traffic with stop and go every 30 secs. I'm not sure how many starts will the new F30 takes??

Rocket99
04-08-2012, 11:17 PM
I have a feeling that BMW will do away with the Start/Stop feature in future models. Imagine stuck in a traffic with stop and go every 30 secs. I'm not sure how many starts will the new F30 takes??

A lot of the concerns and complaints about the Start/Stop feature appear to be based on misinformation and ignorance. #1, you can override it. #2, the engine stays on when it's over 85 degs outside.

Seems like it's well designed to produce the desired result, and it seems that BMW thought about all the possible issues with it long before some of the complainers did, and BMW addressed those issues properly. So why would they do away with it?

mryakan
04-08-2012, 11:35 PM
A lot of the concerns and complaints about the Start/Stop feature appear to be based on misinformation and ignorance. #1, you can override it. #2, the engine stays on when it's over 85 degs outside.

Seems like it's well designed to produce the desired result, and it seems that BMW thought about all the possible issues with it long before some of the complainers did, and BMW addressed those issues properly. So why would they do away with it?

It's been in Europe for quite some time now, it is going nowhere. As you say, most of the complaints are from people who do not know how it really works. I am personally looking forward to it, would save me quite a bit on my daily commute with all the lights I hit.

mihalis
04-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Guys, one thing to watch out for is what tires the car wears. I just read both the C&D and the MT slaughtering of its competitors. Notice that MT had Goodyears? and the car had great stopping distances. The C&D car had Pirelli's, and the stopping distances were as they called "SUV like long." Both cars were Sport Line models, therefore I found this very interesting.

rolltidef30
04-09-2012, 11:19 AM
It's been in Europe for quite some time now, it is going nowhere. As you say, most of the complaints are from people who do not know how it really works. I am personally looking forward to it, would save me quite a bit on my daily commute with all the lights I hit.

I own an F30 328 Sport Line, so here are my 2 cents, like you said, it can be turned off by pressing a button above the ignition. When in stop and go traffic, most of the times it detects this and doesn't shut off. I times when it doesn't, I just turn it off.

Now, as for reliability, it's been used for a while and the 4 cyl was build around it, so the engine is made to cut on and off thousands of times. My car is a lease, so it only needs to work for 36 mo, but the car feels solid as heck, so I think it will be ok.

I don't see the gas savings, but it does cut emissions. When the AC needs juice ( I live in Alabama), the engine restarts.

AlpinaClearLake
04-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Whats interesting is the amount of smiles we get when a customer test drives a new 328i with the 4 cyl. The new 2112 328i is smooth, quick and fast. You really have to dig deep not to like something about the car. I drove a new 2011 3 series then got right into a new 2012 328i and the diff is huge. Smoother, more refined, it just feels better than its previous versions. The 4 banger is spot on and mated with the steptronic trans is amazing. We are now starting to see a few 335i guys jump ship into the 328i car just because there not a lot of diff and with the price savings they can load up a 328i full of goodies.

Moondancer
04-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Whats interesting is the amount of smiles we get when a customer test drives a new 328i with the 4 cyl. The new 2112 328i is smooth, quick and fast. You really have to dig deep not to like something about the car. I drove a new 2011 3 series then got right into a new 2012 328i and the diff is huge. Smoother, more refined, it just feels better than its previous versions. The 4 banger is spot on and mated with the steptronic trans is amazing. We are now starting to see a few 335i guys jump ship into the 328i car just because there not a lot of diff and with the price savings they can load up a 328i full of goodies.

Well, it sure impressed me, and BMW's weren't even on my radar until I wandered across the street from the Audi dealer just to take a quick look. I had spent almost 18 months trying to make up my mind what I was going to buy to replace the Honda Accord that I had for 11 years. One test drive and I was hooked. I placed my order a few days later and should get delivery next week. I had never drived any BMW before and frankly it blew me away.

rolltidef30
04-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Well, it sure impressed me, and BMW's weren't even on my radar until I wandered across the street from the Audi dealer just to take a quick look. I had spent almost 18 months trying to make up my mind what I was going to buy to replace the Honda Accord that I had for 11 years. One test drive and I was hooked. I placed my order a few days later and should get delivery next week. I had never drived any BMW before and frankly it blew me away.

Wow Moon, my last car was an Accord also, but I'd driven a few during the Race for the Cure events. I loved that V6 Honda, but the handling left much to be desired, as it had too much body roll.

Just remember that no matter the Line you chose, the car drives best in the Sport Mode setting.

I'm exited for you! You're gonna fall in love with it fast.

AlpinaClearLake
04-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Here is a great qoute for all the nay sayers from Motor Trend.

April 9, 2012 – Houston, TX. – Advantage BMW Clearlake is excited to confirm, the BMW 328i Sport Line takes first place out of 8 contenders in Motor Trend’s Sporty Luxury Sedan Comparison.
A total of about three minutes was spent on declaring BMW best in test and best in
class.
“This was not just a win for the 328i; it was a massacre. A slaughter. Doomsday. Armageddon. I say this with a straight face: There was no competition. Not only was the BMW’s first-place finish never in question, but I can’t remember a comparison test with such lopsided results,” said Jonny Lieberman of Motor Trend. He added, “Honestly, we had a hard time finding bad things to say.”

Paolo Renzo
04-13-2012, 03:05 AM
I just bought the new 328i with the turbo 4 cylinder engine, at first I was a little skeptical because of the size of the engine but this car picks up speed great when you need it! The auto engine shut-off when you're stopped is a bit weird at first but once you get used to it becomes normal. Great car and very recommended!!!

mryakan
04-13-2012, 09:48 AM
I just bought the new 328i with the turbo 4 cylinder engine, at first I was a little skeptical because of the size of the engine but this car picks up speed great when you need it! The auto engine shut-off when you're stopped is a bit weird at first but once you get used to it becomes normal. Great car and very recommended!!!

Yeah that engine looks on the smallish side in the engine bay doesn't it? But as they say, it is not about size lol.
Anyway, congrats, and post some pics if you can.

Paolo Renzo
04-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Yeah that engine looks on the smallish side in the engine bay doesn't it? But as they say, it is not about size lol.
Anyway, congrats, and post some pics if you can.

Yes it does!!! I'm at work right now but here are the pictures I took at the dealership, this weekend I'll make sure to take some more pictures of it, because they don't do justice to how nice this car is!!!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t450/durrtysouthburd/image3.jpg?t=1334162695

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t450/durrtysouthburd/image2.jpg?t=1334162689

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t450/durrtysouthburd/image.jpg?t=1334162689

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t450/durrtysouthburd/image1.jpg?t=1334162633

JCdexter
04-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Based on my test drive this week, the engine is powerful, but not satisfying, and the loose over assisted steering is totally awful. I felt disconnected from the driving experience. Now if you want fun, try a 1 series before they mess them up.

kmac47
04-15-2012, 01:04 AM
I still think a turbocharged 4 just won't have the same "grunt" and feel that inline six would have. I love the F30, but would only go for the 335i

rolltidef30
04-15-2012, 01:23 PM
I still think a turbocharged 4 just won't have the same "grunt" and feel that inline six would have. I love the F30, but would only go for the 335i

I really think you should drive the car before making a bad assumption. Unless you are an automotive engineer or something, what you "think" says nothing without some experience behind the wheel of an F30.

As for the steering feel, when in sport mode, it may not be a classic rack and p, but it is quite responsive. Another point is that every car company is moving to power assist as it is more efficient, even Porsche.

Guys, after all this time of being the leader, I'd hope you would give BMW some credit. Being resistant to change is not a good look. Technology is advancing now, so what would BMW look like holding on to d inefficient technology, just for the sake of a few so called "purists". I know who they'd look like... A company called Acura with outdated trannies, suspensions, and engines. All of which equal poor gas mileage and poor sales.

Wake up fellas, and give the new car a try. Most of you complained back in '06 too, but now the E90 is some holy grail?

The F30 keeps this car as the class leader. I love my new car and YES ut is far more powerful and quick to respond than the old model. No doubt about it!

kmac47
04-15-2012, 01:26 PM
I really think you should drive the car before making a bad assumption. Unless you are an automotive engineer or something, what you "think" says nothing without some experience behind the wheel of an F30.

As for the steering feel, when in sport mode, it may not be a classic rack and p, but it is quite responsive. Another point is that every car company is moving to power assist as it is more efficient, even Porsche.

Guys, after all this time of being the leader, I'd hope you would give BMW some credit. Being resistant to change is not a good look. Technology is advancing now, so what would BMW look like holding on to d inefficient technology, just for the sake of a few so called "purists". I know who they'd look like... A company called Acura with outdated trannies, suspensions, and engines. All of which equal poor gas mileage and poor sales.

Wake up fellas, and give the new car a try. Most of you complained back in '06 too, but now the E90 is some holy grail?

The F30 keeps this car as the class leader. I love my new car and YES ut is far more powerful and quick to respond than the old model. No doubt about it!

Naw I mean i'm open to it, you got a point, just on paper it doesn't sound as good, because when I think of a 4 cylinder 3 series, I automatically think 318i :(, but i'm sure the F30 is no 318i. It's just I think when most people think about a 4 cylinder bmw, they think of some dulled down European version. But I guess driving is believing...

rolltidef30
04-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Naw I mean i'm open to it, you got a point, just on paper it doesn't sound as good, because when I think of a 4 cylinder 3 series, I automatically think 318i :(, but i'm sure the F30 is no 318i. It's just I think when most people think about a 4 cylinder bmw, they think of some dulled down European version. But I guess driving is believing...

Ok, I get the 318i assumption. It was when you said you'd only consider the 335i, is where I think you or others may be missing out. The power of the 328i is obvious as soon as you start to accelerate, such as getting on the freeway or when passing a Vette. The 50/50 weight dis makes cornering in the 328 a little more satisfying too.

Don't get me wrong, as I tested the 335 also it's a great car, but that extra power is useless unless you are either at the track or are ok with a ton of speeding tickets. My Valentine One gets enough of a workout as us with the 328i.

The X Men
04-17-2012, 11:43 AM

We test drove the 2012 328i and the 2011 328xi back to back, the F30, even in sport mode, the steering didnt feel as good as the E90. Also, the F30 while in sport mode, the power delievery is very jerky, not good for every day driving compare to the silky smooth power delievery of the I6 engine in the E90.

Daedalus34r
04-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Based on my test drive this week, the engine is powerful, but not satisfying, and the loose over assisted steering is totally awful. I felt disconnected from the driving experience. Now if you want fun, try a 1 series before they mess them up.

thats exactly how i feel. Im completely turned off to the new F30 in styling and mechanical changes. I feel like the current 1series is the only true bmw left on the lot. Ive seen some spyshots of the upcoming 1series and those have me scared.

Bavarianbrass
06-17-2012, 01:50 AM
Hey guys just thought I'd throw in my two cents. I have an 07 335 and got to try the new the new f30. It's a great car and has a lot of zip. Sure the engine isn't as present and the car feels a bit lighter, but its still a lot of fun to drive (Eco mode is also known as Lexus mode as far as throttle response lol)
It's definitely worth giving a chance - I bet it will grow on you, just like the e90 did when people wailed about it in contrast to the e46.
Let's face it BMW is moving toward smaller engines assisted by turbo. The new m6 is a twin turbo v8. Considering the success of the 335 and the demands for fuel efficient cars, it only makes sense that this is the new direction of BMW. The new 328 still has a lot to offer and will give a lot of people a lot of smiles. Just get the sport line and be done with it

Saucy069
06-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Sadly it doesn't have the s14 in it.
It's a great motor but needs to be rebuilt before 100k and it's expensive to do.

Why do you say it would need to be rebuilt prior to 100k? I do know there is a problem with the redesigned cams. But thats all I have heard so far.

I just realized you were talking about the s14 needing to be rebuilt before 100k oops :)