PDA

View Full Version : iPod Y connector (2012 535i)

Bluewire
01-09-2012, 05:26 PM
The owner's manual for the 2012 does not mention the need for a Y-connector to connect an iPod to the Aux jack and the USB simultaneously - it should work by connecting the iPod only to the USB.

However, mine does not.

The dealer provided a Y-connector, but was surprised it was needed since he also believed that while it was needed on the 2011, it should not be needed on the 2012.

Anyone else have this issue? Does your iPod work by connecting only to the USB on your 2012 535?

42Pilot
01-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Are you implying that the USB connection alone on the 2012 allows you to control the ipod just as the y-connector does on the 2011?

Bluewire
01-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Yes, that is exactly what the manual and the dealer led me to believe - iPod control through USB only without y-connector.

CVF10
01-17-2012, 02:25 AM
I'm able to use mine with just the USB. I can control it from my steering wheel and see the name of the songs on my dash.

meteck
01-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Hmm. :confused

Savannahian
01-27-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm able to use mine with just the USB. I can control it from my steering wheel and see the name of the songs on my dash.

I agree, too. Also, check out the online manuel. It's more up to date.

Bluewire
01-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Well, it looks like it may be due to an older iPod. After a reset of the system, both my iPhone and the mechanics iPod work fine with just the USB cable.

Still no clue why my older iPod requires the Y-dongle. One idea had been it's software was out of date, but updating didn't help. I may just leave it as a mystery.

Savannahian
01-31-2012, 09:08 AM
Simple fix: get new(er) iPod. I think an iPod nano might work too

Sent from my iPad 2 using BF.com

ML335i
02-20-2012, 11:13 PM
The owner's manual for the 2012 does not mention the need for a Y-connector to connect an iPod to the Aux jack and the USB simultaneously - it should work by connecting the iPod only to the USB.

However, mine does not.

The dealer provided a Y-connector, but was surprised it was needed since he also believed that while it was needed on the 2011, it should not be needed on the 2012.

Anyone else have this issue? Does your iPod work by connecting only to the USB on your 2012 535?

I was told today that you can stream music over the bluetooth, and control it from the wheel as well?

Mark

Savannahian
02-20-2012, 11:23 PM
I was told today that you can stream music over the bluetooth, and control it from the wheel as well?

Mark

Yes you can, I do it all the time. Plus it's less frustrating then plugging in the phone/iPod touch. And it will start playing where it left off provided you don't close app.

deso
02-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Yes you can, I do it all the time. Plus it's less frustrating then plugging in the phone/iPod touch. And it will start playing where it left off provided you don't close app.

You just need to pair the phone through the Bluetooth settings and then access the device via the "External Media" option. It does not offer complete control of playlists or a view of the UI etc. at least. I've not been able to do that. It will play whatever is currently selected via the iPhone. I particularly appreciate streaming podcasts to the phone and listening to them through the car system, via Bluetooth.