PDA

View Full Version : AC Schnitzer F10 lowering springs...

ccboye
10-31-2011, 07:25 PM
I think the F10 5 series is pretty nice car with enough power (V8) and technology for today's driver. However, I hate the fact t sits kinda high so I'm ready to pull the trigger on getting the ACS springs and having them installed. I'm slightly concerned about losing warranty on the suspension if something goes wrong.

For those who's done it, what's your feedback? Should I trust this kinda of work to a local performance mods shop or pay more and take to a dealer? I'm located in So Cal...

wildvan
11-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Not even sure if the dealer did this that your suspension would still be covered under warrenty. Generally warrenties will void out if any modifications are completed that are not OEM BMW parts. Even with the Dinan stuff, the BMW warrenty is void but Dinan picks it up. You may want to call the dealer and get them to check, if they are going to warrenty, get it in writing..

ccboye
11-01-2011, 04:25 PM
You're right about the voided warranty regarding the mods. I'm just looking for the right person to do the installation right without any complications later.

trakcar
11-12-2011, 03:51 AM
I really like the look of our Msport package 535, but the ride height is just silly. we lowered it 1.25" all around and it looks much better.

Schnell325
11-12-2011, 03:52 AM
I'm looking in to this for my parent's '11 535xi.

ccboye
11-13-2011, 02:33 PM
I really like the look of our Msport package 535, but the ride height is just silly. we lowered it 1.25" all around and it looks much better.

You are right, the factory ride height is just absurd! Which lowering springs did you use to get to that level? I hear Dinan is supposed to be coming out with a set lowering springs for the F10 - 1" front and 3/4" rear - which is probably going to be more expensive than the ACS springs.

meteck
11-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Welcome to the forum. :)

42Pilot
11-14-2011, 10:03 PM
You are right, the factory ride height is just absurd! Which lowering springs did you use to get to that level? I hear Dinan is supposed to be coming out with a set lowering springs for the F10 - 1" front and 3/4" rear - which is probably going to be more expensive than the ACS springs.

Count on that. When I last spoke to Dinan, they were developing springs and shocks (as a kit) to make up for the reduction in stock shock travel after the body drops 1 to 1.4 inches.

Here in Atlanta, I can buy H&R springs for $290 and spend another $900 to have them installed, front end realignment and corner balanced. The tough part is bringing the alignment back after dropping it.

But I bet the handling improves big time. This car has an incredible ride but far too much body roll for me.

ccboye
11-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Count on that. When I last spoke to Dinan, they were developing springs and shocks (as a kit) to make up for the reduction in stock shock travel after the body drops 1 to 1.4 inches.

Here in Atlanta, I can buy H&R springs for $290 and spend another $900 to have them installed, front end realignment and corner balanced. The tough part is bringing the alignment back after dropping it.

But I bet the handling improves big time. This car has an incredible ride but far too much body roll for me.

The only advantage of using Dinan parts is their offer to support the 'New Car Warranty' of the OEM parts if something goings wrong as a result of installing Dinan parts. However, I wonder at what premium though?

trakcar
11-21-2011, 02:59 PM
I just posted some pics on the picture thread

Jackson
11-22-2011, 01:20 PM
I think the F10 5 series is pretty nice car with enough power (V8) and technology for today's driver. However, I hate the fact t sits kinda high so I'm ready to pull the trigger on getting the ACS springs and having them installed. I'm slightly concerned about losing warranty on the suspension if something goes wrong.

For those who's done it, what's your feedback? Should I trust this kinda of work to a local performance mods shop or pay more and take to a dealer? I'm located in So Cal...

Have you considered the Eibach Springs since they're located pretty much in your backyard?

ccboye
11-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Have you considered the Eibach Springs since they're located pretty much in your backyard?

I haven't considered those as most of the reviews so far apppear to favor the ACS springs over others. I also called Dinan and they told me that their lowering kit for the F10 is coming to market in a few days so I want to check that out too. I bet those are going to be more expensive though.

Phoenix1
11-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Not even sure if the dealer did this that your suspension would still be covered under warrenty. Generally warrenties will void out if any modifications are completed that are not OEM BMW parts. Even with the Dinan stuff, the BMW warrenty is void but Dinan picks it up. You may want to call the dealer and get them to check, if they are going to warrenty, get it in writing..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have had Dinan S2 installed since day 1 on my E61. The car is now almost 4 years old with 41K.

Installing Dinan DOES NOT void the warranty.The only issue would be if BMW could prove that the Dinan modifications directly caused a failure. At that point Dinan would cover the repair.

Likewise, lowering the car would not void the warranty on the suspension. The only issue would be if BMW could prove an OEM part on their car was damaged from the lowering, they would not cover the repairs.

BMW (under their new car warranty) has replaced 2 HPFP's, 6 Injectors, the battery, f/r brakes and rotors and just cleaned "excessive carbon buildup on the backs of my valves." I have never had to contact Dinan to get any repairs done.

Afrer one HPFP repair, the BMW regional service manager told the local shop that if I re-installed Dinan software again, it would void the warranty. This was put in writing which I sent to Steve Dinan who called BMW NA directly. I never had an issue again.

So - MOD AWAY! and find a dealer who is open minded about this. My dealer knows I have Dinan and will go out of their way NOT to reprogram the car unless absolutely necessary - and ask me before it is done.

tadtaggert
11-23-2011, 12:11 PM
So - MOD AWAY! and find a dealer who is open minded about this.

Some BMW dealers, as mine is, are also DINAN dealers.

Phoenix1
11-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Some BMW dealers, as mine is, are also DINAN dealers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
THAT is the ideal solution! My problem is my local (10 mins) dealer is not a Dinan dealer and the closest one is 50+ miles away - and wouldn't do programming on the weekend.:mad

So I ended up working with (aka training :stickoutt) my local service center to not freak out when I come in. After 3+ years, they now bend over backwards - as you can tell by all the stuff they've done under maintenance that others have paid for...

I know this is off topic, but did you have any issues in 2010 when the HPFP's were always getting new software? I had 2 instances where I had the car programmed at BMW, then when the Dinan s/w was installed, it had not "kept up" with the BMW release and threw errors.

42Pilot
11-23-2011, 11:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[snip]

just cleaned "excessive carbon buildup on the backs of my valves."

[snip]

How exactly did they perform the clean up? Chemicals? Or did they open the engine?

Thanks
Don

ajherran
11-24-2011, 12:52 AM
I don't know why you'd think lowering your car an inch would void your entire warranty. That doesn't make sense at all. So if your engine fails, would it be a result of you lowering your car? The only warranty issues you could possibly run into would be those they could blame on the springs, such as a premature failure of your struts for example. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

ccboye
11-24-2011, 02:36 PM
I was more concerned about warranty on the suspension after the car is lowered. I think the conventional wisdom is to have the mod done by someone who knows what they are doing in the first place. I've hear some good things about Trinity Autosports in Tustin CA - any reviews on them?

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

42Pilot
11-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Installation on our F10's is not so straight-up. Multilink front end and the requirement to remove some interior pieces to access the upper parts of the rear springs is not for the occasional BMW mechanic. There are two issues with installing these springs (which I am going to do very soon anyway): reduced shock travel (which is what Dinan is going to address with new shocks) and the need for alignment (proper alignment back to stock values - so you don't eat tires - will bump max values).

ajherran
11-24-2011, 10:21 PM
The ACS springs only drop the car an inch and is conservative as opposed to H&R or Eibach. They are slightly firmer than the sports package springs and the suspension has plenty of travel left. They take about 4 hours to install by a competent mechanic with prior experience. Not a big deal, but he has to remove the rear seat to get to the suspension. After a couple of weeks you need to get the car realigned. I had it done for $225. Some charge less and some charge more.

tadtaggert
11-24-2011, 10:29 PM
(which is what Dinan is going to address with new shocks)

FWIW, front shocks only get the new mounts and full travel. With labor, almost 2K for the Dinan.

ccboye
11-25-2011, 03:56 AM
IMHO, I think $1k plus labor & alignment for Dinan springs to get just 1/2" drop is a bit too much.

tadtaggert
11-25-2011, 07:57 AM
IMHO, I think $1k plus labor & alignment for Dinan springs to get just 1/2" drop is a bit too much.

I would tend to agree, but haven driven both H&R and RD springs, there wasn't really much benefit BUT for lowering.

If you're just looking to lower the car with no worse or slightly better driving, then other than Dinan is probably the way to go. It will be interesting to see how the Dinan system drives.

ccboye
11-26-2011, 02:54 PM
I would tend to agree, but haven driven both H&R and RD springs, there wasn't really much benefit BUT for lowering.

If you're just looking to lower the car with no worse or slightly better driving, then other than Dinan is probably the way to go. It will be interesting to see how the Dinan system drives.

You'll have to drive the ACS too in order to feel the difference. I've placed my order for them so I'll give my feedback in about a month or so.

tadtaggert
11-27-2011, 04:49 PM
You'll have to drive the ACS too in order to feel the difference. I've placed my order for them so I'll give my feedback in about a month or so.

I've talked to people that have tried those as well, a couple who have been through them all say they compare to the RD springs, at least on those cars with DHP. The H&R are junk, or for someone only looking for a drop and doesn't care about pushing the car.

Myself, I think the multi-link up front and the programming is going to make it difficult for a simple spring swap to get what I want. I actually expected Dinan to reprogram, but by changing the mounts to allow full travel maybe it won't be necessary.

Regardless, I will not be an early adopter/beta tester, for that price I want nothing other than a sure thing.

ajherran
11-27-2011, 10:33 PM
I've had the ACS now for a couple of months and there's not much of a difference in ride quality.

ccboye
01-02-2012, 09:23 PM
ACS springs are here, but the car is in the shop for some drivetrain malfunction issues so I plan to install when the car is completely fixed. I'm thinking about going to Trinity Autosport in Tustin for the installation.