PDA

View Full Version : Self-Braking feature?

Braves4590
08-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Brake Assist*

I've heard about the self braking feature, but I guess it's a part of Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go. I was wondering if it would work, even if ACC is not activated? I mean, I still want to control the gas pedals on the car and be (semi) protected from fender benders. So if I was just driving around normally without cruise control activated, and the traffic ahead of me stopped without me noticing, would the car still brake for me?

Thanks for any answers.

meteck
08-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Brake Assist is the feature that gives you more braking power when you're in an emergency situation. The feature on ACC that brings your car to a stop is called Stop and Go and only works when ACC is engaged. :)

Braves4590
08-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the reply!

That's a bummer. Not a deal braker by any means but it would be nice to have that safety feature even when you're not in cruise control. Don't Mercedes have that? Or do they have to be in cruise control also?

meteck
08-04-2011, 10:43 PM
It has to be enabled so it doesn't get in the way when you don't want it to. :)

Braves4590
08-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Sounds sensible, except.. when wouldn't you want to avoid a rear end collision?

wildvan
08-05-2011, 07:03 PM
if you are driving aggressively and get close to a vehicle in front of you, it will slow you down which then defeats the driving aggressivley. It would be a real pain in heavy traffic or stop and go..