PDA

View Full Version : 535xi Vs: A6 - Pros And Cons (long)

PsychDoc1
05-18-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm trying desperately to decide between these two very fine automobiles. So far, based on a great deal of internet research and test driving the 535xi and looking at and sitting in the A7 (really a clone of the A6 but for the body style) here are some thoughts/observations:

Exterior - The 535xi is, indeed, quite conservative looking but then, so is the A6. In fact, the A6 is aruably too conservative and indistinguishable from the 2011 A6 (although it's a completely new vehicle. While I adore the A6's headlight treatment, I'm not sure they 'gel' well with the conservative, refined nature of the rest of the exterior (kind of like putting a disco globe in Le Cirque). I think they'll both age well and both are pretty much immediately identifiable as the marque they represent. Both manufacturers have now clearly embraced the "one sausage/three sizes" philosophy in their respective offerings. It's not easy to a 3/5/7 and similarly an A4/A6/A8 other than by reference to their size. Right now I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing as it helps with brand/marque cohesion but lessens the aesthetic options available to the consumer in some ways. I think the 535xi headlights are very, very attractive as well (only with xenon as the halogen angel eyes look just awful to me) though they lack the "OMG" factor that the Audi brings to the table here. From the rear, both cars are lacking and both trunk/tail light treatments are cures for insomnia. At least the A6 has some cool razor sharp tiny LED's integrated in their tail lights to add some punch to the otherwise uninspiring treatment. Viewed directly from the front, the nod goes to the 535xi. It's sculpted and muscular looking while the A6 remains a bit bland (absent the headlights, of course). The side view is where both cars really shine. They are both classic looking, mature cars that are certain not to be confused with lesser offerings. The side view is a dead heat AFAIK.

Engine - Again, here we have two superb powerplants but the A6's 3.0T is probably the superior of the two. More HP, more torque and, because it's supercharged and not turbo driven, absolutely no lag. Not that the 535xi is a slouch in this department, just that no matter how you design a turbo, there's always a certain amount of lag. And, because the A6 is significantly lighter than the 535xi I'm suspecting that it's be quicker than the 535xi at all speeds. Not that speed per se is the sine qua non of cars in this class, but it's always nice to know you have the power when, and if, you need it. Again, both superb engines but the 3.0T gets the nod here.

Interior - BMW interior have long been one of their Achilles heels. To their credit, BMW has improved their interior dramatically in the F-10 though it's still no match for the A6 which retains its position as the "best interior in class." Sure, the pop-up nav is a bit gimmicky but it does save valuable center stack spack when not in use and it's a very high resolution screen that lacks for nothing in the detail department. The seats and seating positions in both cars are as close to ideal as you're likely to find. Probably more comfortable than anything you're likely to find in your own home (lol). Dead heat here. Quality, craftsmanship and fit/finish are both as good as it gets so agin, it's hard to call a winner here. The only possible difference in the interior that purchasers may want to consider is that of the Audi MMI vs: the BMW iDrive. While iDrive has been improved significantly, the MMI system is still the more intuitive and user friendly.

Handling - BMW continues to be simply amazing in this category. We'll just have to wait for the A6 to land on our shores to see if it has closed the gap or remains the 'middle of the road' alternative to the BMW (sharp) vs: M-B (bland) dichotomy. While the A6 is certainly faster than the 535xi (0-60 5.5" vs: 6.0") the BMW is the handling champ until otherwise determined.

Reliability (Lack-O-Hastle factor) - Both cars leave a great deal to be desired here. The A6 is a brand new design (but for the 3.0T engine) so it has no reliabilty track record yet. The 3.0T engine has been very troublesome according to the Consumer Reports Annual car review though some on the Audi boards say that this was largely due to a faulty water pump design which has since been rectified in the current 3.0T engine. I guess time will tell. The 535xi has had myriad problems. From the RFT fiasco(s) to the HPFP issues, to steering grinding, pull to the right, etc. This is a real concern to a prospective buyer like me. It is, however reassuring that BMW seems to stand behind their warranties pretty well and most people seem satisfied with the treatment they get at their service departments. Audi OTOH has had a long and not-so-illustrious history of treating cutomers very poory and 'passing the buck' when it comes to rectifying service issues. I suppose this is highly dealer dependant matter but it is a significant concern.

Pricing - Interestingly one of the main attractions of the Audi had been it's price advantage over a similarly optioned BMW. In short. you could expect to save ~10% by going with an Audi over a comperable BMW or M-B. That seems no longer to be the case and it is a very significant issue for those resposible for marketing Audi's. Whether deserved or not, the reality is that most Americans associate BMW as a slightly more desirable vehicle than an Audi. While Audi had the ability to offer an comparable car at a cost savings, this made the (slight) trade off in presige 'worth it' for many buyers. Now, it seems they're going to be priced within a few hundred dollars of one another and, while many may (perhaps correctly, perhaps not) make the argument that the Audi is the better vehicle, many will balk at paying the same for an Audi as a similar BMW. Not saying this is fair, just saying, it is what it is. Throw in the four years of free service, probably worth about $3,000-$4,000 and it's possible to make the arguement that BMW has the price advantage now.

So, I'm still up in the air.

Decisions, decisions.

(P.S. The E350 is not even a contender for myriad reasons)

BavarianCraving
05-22-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm going through the same decision process. I'm really leaning toward the 535i M-sport package over the Audi, but both are sweet cars.

meteck
05-23-2011, 10:54 PM
I think it comes down to personal taste. Personally, I think the front of an A6 is boring and ugly and the new 5 has brought me compliments every where I park it. But, that's why they make so many flavors of ice cream.:redspot

BavarianCraving
05-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Follow-up: just got the 535i RWD M-sport, and I have to peel myself away from my car every morning. I had to go back in to work twice last night, and was actually looking forward to it each time. The car is fantastic in just about every way. With sport mode on, the handling is much better than I expected based on everyone else's criticisms. Not as deft or precise as the old E39 to be sure, but still the best handling of any of the other cars I test drove (and bummed off of friends). A6 is a beautiful car, to be sure, but just doesn't have the raw sex appeal of the 535i. Nicer cabin, but not a huge advantage to me. Just my two cents.

PsychDoc1
05-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Follow-up: just got the 535i RWD M-sport, and I have to peel myself away from my car every morning. I had to go back in to work twice last night, and was actually looking forward to it each time. The car is fantastic in just about every way. With sport mode on, the handling is much better than I expected based on everyone else's criticisms. Not as deft or precise as the old E39 to be sure, but still the best handling of any of the other cars I test drove (and bummed off of friends). A6 is a beautiful car, to be sure, but just doesn't have the raw sex appeal of the 535i. Nicer cabin, but not a huge advantage to me. Just my two cents.
You pulled the trigger on the 535i before even test driving the A6?

BavarianCraving
06-01-2011, 05:55 PM
No, I did test drive the A6. Nice car, nice handling... just not the same.

PsychDoc1
06-02-2011, 07:44 AM
No, I did test drive the A6. Nice car, nice handling... just not the same.
The 2012 A6 is already available where you are? I didn't think they had hit our shores aywhere yet/

AudiR8dreamer
06-03-2011, 12:22 AM
The 2012 A6 is already available where you are? I didn't think they had hit our shores aywhere yet/

I think he test drove the outgoing 2011 A6, not the next gen 2012 A6 . . . unless he happened to travel to Europe to drive it.

I'm also tossing up b/w Audi & BMW. My last 2 cars have been a 2006 A4 6 cyl quattro and a 2000 740i Dinan 7. Both great driving cars.

But I'm not considering the new A6. I'm actually choosing b/w the 2012 S4 and the 2012 535xi M-sport. Leaning toward the S4, but even though the 535xi prices $10k higher the lease payment for both cars is almost the same due to the much higher residual of the BMW. Tough choice, but probably can't make a bad one here. Both great cars.

BavarianCraving
06-03-2011, 04:05 PM

Yes, absolutely correct. I drove the outgoing A6. If you want to know for sure and don't mind waiting a bit more, maybe test drive the new A6 when it comes out.

BavarianCraving
06-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Leaning toward the S4, but even though the 535xi prices $10k higher the lease payment for both cars is almost the same due to the much higher residual of the BMW. Tough choice, but probably can't make a bad one here. Both great cars.

Yeah, Audi makes pretty nice cars. I've never driven the S4, how does she handle?

AudiR8dreamer
06-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Yeah, Audi makes pretty nice cars. I've never driven the S4, how does she handle?

The latest S4 is a great car. First drove the current 335i, which was fast and fun. Then drove the S4 and whoa . . . it pulls even stronger, and quicker in the rev range. I was floored by its power and acceleration. Handling was terrific too with the rear torque-vectoring differential. Styling looks good, but sheet metal could have been made more aggressive looking. I'll caution you . . . if you test drive it, you may struggle not buying one. Hence my battle b/w new 535 xi and S4.