PDA

View Full Version : Importing 5 Wagon into the US?

davco9200
04-10-2011, 12:59 AM
Given that BMW is no longer importing the 5 wagon into the US or Canada, does anyone know how to go about importing one into the US? I tried googling around but nothing current came up. I figure I can't be the only one who would pay a premium to get the car I really want.

Also does anyone know what it would take to get it serviced once it's over here? I'd pick the same engine as what's carrier here (no unusual diesel that no mechanic has seen).

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

535desire
04-30-2011, 08:54 AM
It is cost prohibitive to bring a model over that hasn't been EPA certified.

The only BMW diesel engine currently available over here in N America is different than the ones sold in the rest of the world.

Rumor has it that an F10 diesel will be available in the next couple of years when the EU and US emission standards are more in line. I've got my fingers crossed. I don't know if they'll ever bring the wagons back, tho.

davco9200
04-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks - I was actually thinking about getting the 300 hp gas engine and not a diesel. Trying to keep the insides of the car as close to the American 5 as possible...

I personally hope that the GT doesn't do well and they bring back the wagon. (If Cadillac can do it; can't BMW?)

jesusrdzc
01-18-2013, 01:16 AM
Wow, this is an old thread but I was wondering the same.... Why hasn't BMW killed the GT which is horrible and bring back the Touring, how hard can it be for them to take per-orders and import them?
Even better if they sold here the M550D

meteck
01-25-2013, 07:43 PM
Considering how much it costs to EPA certify it, pretty hard. :(

kakalika
01-29-2013, 11:44 AM
I am thinking that all it needs to be epa certified is a speedometer in MPH or MPH and KPH. Most European cars are KPH only. If you were to get a 535 wagon, it would be the same engine that is already here in the 535 sedans. Also I think the TPMS system is different for US models.

TouringGuy
01-30-2013, 11:03 PM
I believe the f11 is being considered for the US market. The 5GT was a big disappointments for BMW.

Elekta
02-12-2013, 02:57 PM
What is the last year for tourings you can get in the US. What is the top line cold weather package/tech pkg you can get? is it the 2010 535xdrive Touring? Looking around for CPO's and want to select for newest.

FWIW, it took 8 months to get my M5T...London, thru Panama Canal to get certified in CA at an RI that is now retired. (Needed CA cert for resale) There is an outfit in Maryland JK something, but I imagine it's scary expensive for a new car. I think you can go to the factory in Germany and they will build you a US spec one to drive all over Europe and then send back as a US car...and at those prices it might be a smarter better bang for your $70k :)