PDA

View Full Version : Quick Pro's/Con's Of 5 vs. E vs. A6

PsychDoc1
02-15-2011, 10:27 PM
...I'm leaning toward the 5 for a number of reasons. It's the newest design, I'm thinking it handles and drives the best, I'm concerned about a harsh ride and reliability issues of the A6, the E is very narrow in the passenger footwell and (most importantly) it's running the same old tired 3.5 268hp engine its been using since the year of the flood. The instrumentation of the E is counterintuitive and the nav leaves a great deal to be desired. How's the nav in the new 5? This is an area in which I find the Germans, in general, have lagged badly behind their asian counterparts for some time.

I'm sure I'm missing myriad other salient points both pro and con about these three natural competitors. I was hoping that some of you could weigh in and let me know your thoughts.

jwoods
02-16-2011, 10:08 AM
From your comments on the E and A6, it sounds like you're already pretty set on the 5. What about the Jag XF as another consideration? I think it's the best-looking midsize luxury sedan, has a great engine, and includes 5/50 warranty and maintenance (I'm assuming you are looking at new 2011 models of the cars mentioned?). If the Jag's not your thing, then the 5 is the way to go.

tonejon
03-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Unless your just gonna sit in your car and listen to your iPod all day, I think you should remove the counterintuitiveness of the NAV from your equation and strongly consider how the car performs.... after all, it is the ultimate driving machine.

wildvan
03-12-2011, 12:35 PM
After just leaving a mercedes, the nav in the BMW seems much nicer, easy to operate and the screen is great. I also found the "no updates to buy" a ver nice addition.
I enjoy driving my BMW much more than I did the Mercedes. But have to concider the "new" over the old. Many good improvements. I test drove the audi before the BMW, and found the BMW more enjoyable to drive. With options of going from a normal to a sport mode.
I did not test the Jag, it is a very nice car but I am bias toward BMW. I sold a BMW to get thhe mercedes and am happy to be back to BMW once again. :buttrock

PeterC4
03-20-2011, 11:40 AM
From what I can see the Nav is improved in terms of easy to use buttons on the iDrive and the wide screen image instead of the split screen they used to use in 2008 greatly improves the image. I for one think an integrated NAV is essential for todays high-end cars and I think BMW's latest is pretty good. For sure it's a driving machine, but the other stuff counts too.

ponytrekker
03-22-2011, 06:34 AM
I test drove the E and really didn't like it. I'd buy an Accord first. Lousy brakes, didn't handle tightly. Didn't compare to the 5, in my humble opinion.

acepilot
04-16-2011, 07:30 AM
I'd just leased a BMW 550 (yea!) but have been comparing the three for a while now. I wanted a powerful engine, 4 wheel drive system (for the snow) and then possibly a convertible all built into the same car, but settled on not getting the topless. In any case, I compared the E63, BMW 550 and Audi S5 (again a convertible). Large back seats were not critical but nice to have with kids.

My favorite drive was with the Audi S5. It seems to have more pep (?better power/weight ratio) and stopping felt better as well. I liked the paddle shifters and the interior was also top notch. I was put off by the possible reliability issues. The car also was the smallest of the bunch. Not really a bad thing.

The second favorite was the 550. BIG engine but torque was not that evident unless you floor it. Braking was also so-so. I think the car is a bit too heavy with the x-drive and the big motor. Overall a nice ride with roomy quality interior and appears better made. No convertible unless I went with the new 6 series. I chose it mainly because I'm a BMW nut and since the wife will be driving it, maintainence is covered, and worry-free. It also cost about the same as the S5 but you get more car with it. I kept the car reasonable without the M goodies.

Lastly, the E63 is a monster as well with nice loud exhaust (when you want it to be and quiet when you don't). More upscale interior and nice sporty suspension. Cost was huge (over 100k with options) and, of course, RWD. Not an overall performer for the NE snow seasons. Looked a the other E-series but was too soft for my taste.

Those are my thoughts...

Ace