PDA

View Full Version : 6NR Option (BMW Connected app): is it worth waiting for?

Argelius
01-06-2011, 03:50 PM
So, can anyone comment on if the "6NR Option" which allows for use of the BNW Connected iPhone App is worth waiting for? (Supposedly it isn't available until March of 2011).

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bmw-connected/id406975118?mt=8#

Details are a little sketchy as to what it will enable (at launch and down the road). My sales guy seems to think it basically allows for Twitter and Facebook to interface with the iDrive. These two things aren't that important to me...I'm more interested in if this "option" will permit future app integration.

I'm interested on if it is something "worth" (admittedly a personal preference) waiting for, and/or if it is something that current cars will be able to be upgraded to.

The gadgets and technology are important to me, so thinking I might want to wait a few months for this. I know these sorts of technological "innovations" are a running target, but don't want to miss out on something big (especially in a $70,000 car).

joako
01-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Have you seen what M-B has with their iPhone app? Remote unlocking and that sort of stuff...

Titanflux
01-16-2011, 06:16 AM
So, can anyone comment on if the "6NR Option" which allows for use of the BNW Connected iPhone App is worth waiting for? (Supposedly it isn't available until March of 2011).

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bmw-connected/id406975118?mt=8#

Details are a little sketchy as to what it will enable (at launch and down the road). My sales guy seems to think it basically allows for Twitter and Facebook to interface with the iDrive. These two things aren't that important to me...I'm more interested in if this "option" will permit future app integration.

I'm interested on if it is something "worth" (admittedly a personal preference) waiting for, and/or if it is something that current cars will be able to be upgraded to.

The gadgets and technology are important to me, so thinking I might want to wait a few months for this. I know these sorts of technological "innovations" are a running target, but don't want to miss out on something big (especially in a $70,000 car).

If it helps, the following has been issued in the UK to dealers:

The BMW 5 Series Saloon [F10] and Touring [F11] Product Actions – March 2011

This Product News contains information on forthcoming product actions for F10 and F11 5 Series Saloon and Touring.

Standard equipment changes

The following changes to the standard equipment of F10 and F11 models will take place from week 9 2011 production:
The centre console cup holder under the armrest will be deleted for manual models only. The cup holder behind the iDrive control will remain. Cars with an automatic transmission remain unaffected by this change.
The sliding plastic cover for the USB port will be deleted for all models.
The RHD / LHD switch to change the headlights for European driving will be deleted for all models. Please refer to the vehicle handbook for details of driving on the Continent.

Optional equipment changes

Please note the following optional equipment changes from production week 9 2011.
Option Code Description New Retail (£) Change (£)
4M5 Instrument panel, leather £945 New option
5AG Lane change warning system now only available in combination with 430 Exterior mirrors – folding, automatically dimming No change No change
5DL Surround-view now only available in combination with 430 Exterior mirrors – folding, automatically dimming No change No change
6NR Mobile application preparation £130 New option
610 Head-up Display changes to full-colour display and includes full black panel technology No change No change

Please see online Product Libraries for full details of optional equipment. Further information on option 6NR Mobile application preparation can be found within Product News bulletin PN-10-G-14275.

Argelius
01-16-2011, 06:39 AM
Thank you so much for that -- Most helpful!
Guess it's the last two (6NR) and the 610 that are keeping me waiting to place an order. I'm still waiting to hear if the 6NR is something that is upgradable to pre 3/11 models.

And by full-color head up display with "full black panel technology", do they mean the head-up display has black panel technology, or is that referring to the regular instrument cluster?

Titanflux
01-16-2011, 06:45 AM
I'm 99% sure it will 5GT-style full black panel instrument cluster, but only comes as standard with HUD option :( I'm not going for HUD at that price, so no black panel display for me.

And now this, at least for the UK, assuming the link works:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=475505&d=1295177304

jcoley2
01-16-2011, 09:08 AM
And by full-color head up display with "full black panel technology", do they mean the head-up display has black panel technology, or is that referring to the regular instrument cluster?

This sounds interesting. I wonder if the US models will also have this. Would think so.