PDA

View Full Version : Review: 2011 BMW 535i 6MT

Autosavant
08-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Hi there. We just posted this review of the 535i 6MT on Autosavant. Please let me know what you think.

Here's the link: Review: 2011 BMW 535i 6MT (http://www.autosavant.com/2010/08/12/review-2011-bmw-535i-6mt/)

Here's the bottom line:

The 535i is not the canyon-carving, technical-track-loving “ultimate driving machine” I had expected. It is more of a Q-ship, personal luxury express that brings an amount of satisfaction or “joy” to the drive. The car is thoughtfully designed and beautifully assembled, and features an amazing number of innovative features. I spent a week with a 2010 Jaguar XF several months ago - also a rear-wheel drive sport sedan, but with 385 HP and an as-tested sticker price $3300 less expensive than the 535i. While the Jaguar’s in-car technology might be a half-step behind the seamless systems in the BMW, I described the XF as “phenomenal fun to drive”; I didn’t feel the same way about driving the more-expensive 535i.
I hope you like our review, but please share your thoughts.

1HOT BMR
08-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Excellent review and I agree with much of what he writes. Horrible cupholders, small inside for how large the car is outside, etc. I'm a little worried now about his comments regarding how hot it gets inside.

I don't get the part about having lost the "ultimate driving machine" thing. How is this car less "ultimate driving" when compared to previous BMWs? In the 20+ miles I drove the 550i I had the opportunity to toss it around a few turns and a couple of empty freeway ramps. This car is so much better in so many ways than any previous BMW I've driven - M5, M3 and other assorted 5 series cars. The M5 suffered from no torque at low rpm (V10) and it had a lousy transmission. The M3 also had little torque (V8), cramped, and harsh riding - where is the "ultimate driving machine" there? The new 550i is heavy but in spite of it's heft it handles wonderfully - it clinged to that freeway ramp as tenaciously and as flat (no body roll) as my NSX yet it delivered a supple ride 15 seconds later while cruising down the potholed freeway.

If automotive journalists keep deriding the car heavy discounts will start sooner than usual. Too bad I will be ordering mine before then :D

gkirk
09-02-2010, 02:56 PM
I look forward in 10 years being able to afford one and replacing my e39.

kj8750
09-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Good review.