PDA

View Full Version : What happened to its soul?

indy525
07-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Did the BMW ride and drive thing today and was really anticipating for my e39 to be officially obsolete. However, that is not going to be the case. Conclusion: the 5-series has become a car to look at, not drive.

I drove a 550 non-sport and put it though its paces. First thing I noticed was the power. Incredible. Unbelievable power in every gear and at every rpm. Smooth as silk too. At idle, I had to look at the tach to see if it was running. The bad point about that was I couldn't tell by hearing if I needed to shift or not. The engine made no sound, even with the windows open.

The car was beautiful. It was black on black was very nice wood trim. Fit and finish and materials were top notch. Nav screen was huge. A neat feature was that you can run your fingers across the stereo preset buttons without pressing them and it will preview the station.

That is about where the good stops. As soon as I hit my first round about the car protested like an 80's Buick LeSabre. Steering was really light, but worse than that had absolutely no feel or weight. Reminded me of a video game. The suspension also felt really soft. The ride was good, but there is a poor ride/handling compromise.

The car also feels BIG and ponderous. You sit low and the dash and console wrap around you. Driving position is nice, but you don't get that airy feeling of old.

I'm dissapointed, to say the least. Other companies are doing the BMW thing better than BMW. That's pretty sad.

Sandollars
07-04-2010, 06:03 PM
I am a Benz convert and this 550i is my first BMW and I couldn't agree with you less.

Granted the one I purchased has the Sport package as well as just about every option available, but I found the car very well balance and ROCKET fast.

I drove most every Luxury sedan out there on the market today with money not being a factor and this is the car I kept coming back to.

I love the cockpit feeling of the car.

I would love to know what "other" companies you are referring to. Like I said above, during my quest for a new car, I kept finding myself comparing all the other cars to the 550, the S55, CLS55, E55, A8, LS460, even Porsche's new 4 door. It eventually dawned on me that I kept referencing the 550 as the benchmark so I went back and bought it. I don't regret the decision for even 1 second.

steve0suprem0
07-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Just get smaller friends to fit in a 3. Then again, what do I know? I don't even have a bimmer anymore.

indy525
07-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Well, I guess it comes down to perspective. Hopefully it's still the sports sedan compared to its competition. But compared to the e39 and even the e60, it's overweight and dulled down. If you want a drivers car go drive one of those or an Audi S4

IMO, the 1 and 3-series are the last "true" bmw left, hopefully they keep it that way.

But the car is beautiful and I love the interior. That's why I was so dissapointed when I finally drove it.

I am a Benz convert and this 550i is my first BMW and I couldn't agree with you less.

Granted the one I purchased has the Sport package as well as just about every option available, but I found the car very well balance and ROCKET fast.

I drove most every Luxury sedan out there on the market today with money not being a factor and this is the car I kept coming back to.

I would love to know what "other" companies you are referring to. Like I said above, during my quest for a new car, I kept finding myself comparing all the other cars to the 550, the S55, CLS55, E55, A8, LS460, even Porsche's new 4 door. It eventually dawned on me that I kept referencing the 550 as the benchmark so I went back and bought it. I don't regret the decision for even 1 second.

wthensler
07-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Say it ain't so! Interesting observation, and that's why I'm a bit afraid of driving the new bimmer.

I have an e39 (528i) and an e60 (530) and am seriously thinking of an f10. After driving both the 39 and the 60, I honestly like the feel and feedback of the 39 better. I hope they didn't turn it into an Acura......

BrandonWA
07-16-2010, 12:05 AM
It is a luxury car after all.
If you want sporty and zippy, get an E9X M3.
I do love my E39 though :redspot

auto da fe
07-29-2010, 08:38 PM
It is a luxury car after all.
If you want sporty and zippy, get an E9X M3.
I do love my E39 though :redspot

The five series used to be a performance car. The new car is bloated.

JimS Z4 X3
07-29-2010, 10:00 PM
The new 535 i placed third in a comparison with an Audi and an Infiniti. BMW has definitely lost its way.

http://www.bmwcoop.com/2010/07/24/video-bmw-535i-vs-infiniti-m37s-vs-audi-a6/

mr540ia
08-02-2010, 12:36 AM

Guys coming from other daily drivers don't accept that a 10-15 year old car(e39) is still much more enjoyable to drive than a brand new BMW, Merc, Audi, or pretty much anything else out there. It's not the fastest, not the most reliable day after day, its not a super car, but there is nothing else like it:)

Go drive a nice 540i Sandollars..and keep an open mind about it.

...And nobody even argues

1angry5
08-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Indy,
If you can, test drive a 550i with the Sport Pac. I think you will find it's a completely different car. I will admit when my 550 is in the "Normal" mode it is a bit soft and docile. I'm just throwing it out there, do you think maybe, that's what the design team was shooting for when they engineered the car?
But when you trigger up the "Sport+" the dynamics of the car change drastically. It gets all "bowed up" and "nasty", as if it wants pick a fight with everyone.
I will also agree with your observations concerning the "Lack" of an audible reply from the 400 hp v8 when in the cockpit and behind the wheel. However, if one was to stand on the curbside as the sedan passes under hard acceleration, I think it would be an ominous sound of intimidation.
I personally think it's visually stunning in person from most angles, but it doesn't photograph very well though.
I have no regrets on selecting the 550i w/sport pac, convenience pac, cold weather pac, and driver assistance.

porksoda
08-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Did the BMW ride and drive thing today and was really anticipating for my e39 to be officially obsolete. However, that is not going to be the case. Conclusion: the 5-series has become a car to look at, not drive.

I drove a 550 non-sport and put it though its paces. First thing I noticed was the power. Incredible. Unbelievable power in every gear and at every rpm. Smooth as silk too. At idle, I had to look at the tach to see if it was running. The bad point about that was I couldn't tell by hearing if I needed to shift or not. The engine made no sound, even with the windows open.

The car was beautiful. It was black on black was very nice wood trim. Fit and finish and materials were top notch. Nav screen was huge. A neat feature was that you can run your fingers across the stereo preset buttons without pressing them and it will preview the station.

That is about where the good stops. As soon as I hit my first round about the car protested like an 80's Buick LeSabre. Steering was really light, but worse than that had absolutely no feel or weight. Reminded me of a video game. The suspension also felt really soft. The ride was good, but there is a poor ride/handling compromise.

The car also feels BIG and ponderous. You sit low and the dash and console wrap around you. Driving position is nice, but you don't get that airy feeling of old.

I'm dissapointed, to say the least. Other companies are doing the BMW thing better than BMW. That's pretty sad.

Well... I couldn't agree with you anymore... i test drove the 550 extensively and few huge disappointments:

- Engine is very quiet and the grunt is missing from the e39 days.
- iDrive is very dumbed down and lot of options that were in lci e60 are gone huge dissapointment there as well.

I am a current e39 driver and i was not taken by the f10. It just seems faster yet the whole car works towards making you believe its not faster. Lot of gadgetry but no WOW factor.

I decided to go for the f10 and get the v8 but first impressions are very disappointing for me.

I will go for a second drive and see what's going on and give a benz a go as well.

---

I will disagree about it feeling heavy and not good with the suspension. I drove one with the sports suspension and it did hug the road nicely... but overall it's nothing im anxious to sign on the dotted line with... i will say this maybe the end of the 5 series ownership for me if this is what the new 5 is about.

Fast engine, decent interior, "balanced body shape/exterior" & a car who fights to be a luxury sedan than a sports sedan yet it has a v8 TT!?!?

Sandollars
08-07-2010, 10:06 PM
indy,
if you can, test drive a 550i with the sport pac. I think you will find it's a completely different car. I will admit when my 550 is in the "normal" mode it is a bit soft and docile. I'm just throwing it out there, do you think maybe, that's what the design team was shooting for when they engineered the car?
But when you trigger up the "sport+" the dynamics of the car change drastically. It gets all "bowed up" and "nasty", as if it wants pick a fight with everyone.
I will also agree with your observations concerning the "lack" of an audible reply from the 400 hp v8 when in the cockpit and behind the wheel. However, if one was to stand on the curbside as the sedan passes under hard acceleration, i think it would be an ominous sound of intimidation.
I personally think it's visually stunning in person from most angles, but it doesn't photograph very well though.
I have no regrets on selecting the 550i w/sport pac, convenience pac, cold weather pac, and driver assistance.

word!

tadtaggert
08-07-2010, 11:11 PM
word!

Truth!

New to the forums, well into my second week owning a new 550i, simply awesome for anything less than an M.

I do note a lot of E34/E39 owners not liking it (F10), completely different car. Wheelbase on the E34 is 108.7 and for the E39 it's 111.4. The F10 comes in at 116.9, or longer that the original E23 7 series. Should also note that the current E9X is 108.7, so the F10 is charting new territory when it comes to sport sedans as far a BMW is concerned.

The DHP (ZDH) should considered to be mandatory if you want a Sport/Luxury Sedan, without it I can understand some saying it's nothing but a luxury sedan.

Love that the car is quiet, don't need to impress the 16 year olds at the high school, and for anyone that's had any iDrive experience whatsoever, the new iDrive is anything but dumbed down.

porksoda
08-08-2010, 12:59 AM
Truth!

New to the forums, well into my second week owning a new 550i, simply awesome for anything less than an M.

I do note a lot of E34/E39 owners not liking it (F10), completely different car. Wheelbase on the E34 is 108.7 and for the E39 it's 111.4. The F10 comes in at 116.9, or longer that the original E23 7 series. Should also note that the current E9X is 108.7, so the F10 is charting new territory when it comes to sport sedans as far a BMW is concerned.

The DHP (ZDH) should considered to be mandatory if you want a Sport/Luxury Sedan, without it I can understand some saying it's nothing but a luxury sedan.

Love that the car is quiet, don't need to impress the 16 year olds at the high school, and for anyone that's had any iDrive experience whatsoever, the new iDrive is anything but dumbed down.

+1.

Plus my retraction to the above post i made.

"I have to retract my opinion on the F10 as i drove one with fully equipped minus active steering. In canada our packages and our standard equipment is very different than us.

After driving the f10 with what is equivalent in us as sports package i must admit to doing a full 360, as this car went beyond my expectations.

- Excellent interior.
- Somewhat "ok" exterior for me (bm's grow on me).
- Handling, power & steering was SPOT on for me.

I think the bottom line for me and my suggestion would be people who are performance oriented and like bmws as drivers cars must buy/test drive one with the packages they want and sport and dynamic handling package is a must.

I personally dislike the active steering but some may prefer it.

Once again this is a retraction from my previous comments about this car... i also did drive benz e550 and few others but comments about that are probably better suited for another thread. "

1angry5
08-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Pork,
I found your original post, as others who did not test drive the Sport Pac interesting. I am glad you were able to drive an "optioned" sedan to make the comparison. I will agree, if performance in handling is what the driver wants from the new 550, then the sport pac is mandatory when choosing a car.
Me personally, I am a car nut. I like most everything. I drove a 1964 Land Rover Ser IIa for most of ten years with a blistering 77 hp @ sea level, Climate control were 2 vents just below the windscreen, 1 for the driver, and 1 for the passenger. Hydraulic brakes, 4 speed non syncro tranny. Man I loved that Rover. I could work on it myself and did not have to have a dealership exchanged the battery for me. However, if I needed to drive cross country I'd prefer to jump in my new Range Rover.
My point is, when comparing cars and opinions be open minded and look closely for yourself and ask, Does this car "Trip my Trigger" and make me want to "Drive?
My 550i does.

porksoda
08-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Pork,
I found your original post, as others who did not test drive the Sport Pac interesting. I am glad you were able to drive an "optioned" sedan to make the comparison. I will agree, if performance in handling is what the driver wants from the new 550, then the sport pac is mandatory when choosing a car.
Me personally, I am a car nut. I like most everything. I drove a 1964 Land Rover Ser IIa for most of ten years with a blistering 77 hp @ sea level, Climate control were 2 vents just below the windscreen, 1 for the driver, and 1 for the passenger. Hydraulic brakes, 4 speed non syncro tranny. Man I loved that Rover. I could work on it myself and did not have to have a dealership exchanged the battery for me. However, if I needed to drive cross country I'd prefer to jump in my new Range Rover.
My point is, when comparing cars and opinions be open minded and look closely for yourself and ask, Does this car "Trip my Trigger" and make me want to "Drive?
My 550i does.

I think for me personally the dealership in Burlington for me that failed me as the car they had did not have dhp (in canada there is no sports and dhp is a package). The salesperson claimed it was the best car ever but to me i was very disappointing, after doing my research i went back and insisted we drive one with dhp and they had one in stock and that's when the car really showed its true colours. The funny thing was no one in the dealership from techs to sales knew anything about dhp they claimed it was standard on all cars as the switch for normal/sport/sport+ was there but the dhp in canada adds few more things, in a way i had to school them in their sales pitch. In US packages and standard items are very different.

So i do agree with you in a way i think that whoever is looking for the new f10 they should have an idea whats important to them, if driving experience is something that is important.. just like you said Sports package in US without active steering and in canada DHP without active steering is a MUST MUST.

1angry5
08-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Sad that the sales consultant knew less about the product than the customer.
That was not the case in my experience. The Denver sales staff was knowledgeable of the product.

LuvMyE92
08-09-2010, 07:33 AM
I think it's unfair to compare the E39 to anything else, as that car was the ultimate expression of the 5 series IMHO. Each generation since has become larger and heavier, due to safety requirements (crashworthiness, even more airbags, etc.) and customer demand. People who buy $60K cars demand all of the latest technology, and that stuff weighs down the car. Of course with that you get better performance, better mileage, better emissions, better safety. Unfortunately these days with BMW you also get run flat tires. :(

And no one has stepped-up and does BMW better than BMW. Even as disappointing as you may find the new 5 series to be, it's still a better driving car than an Infiniti or Mercedes or, dare I say, Audi. Just because it's printed in a magazine doesn't mean it's the final word, that's just the opinion of a few writers. And as I recall, the only real fault they found in the car was the steering. BMW had the same problem with the first E46 and they fixed it.

gkirk
09-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Guys coming from other daily drivers don't accept that a 10-15 year old car(e39) is still much more enjoyable to drive than a brand new BMW, Merc, Audi, or pretty much anything else out there. It's not the fastest, not the most reliable day after day, its not a super car, but there is nothing else like it:)

Go drive a nice 540i Sandollars..and keep an open mind about it.

...And nobody even argues
My e39 is more enjoyable because I can afford it. (barely).

:)

But if someone came along and gave me an f10, I'd take it.

bamboozle
09-04-2010, 09:18 PM
I learned how to drive on a Porsche 930 Turbo and I am a big Porsche and BMW fan. I have owned many BMWs and my family has always had Porsches that I drive all the time. I stopped buying BMW when Bangle messed up the 3 and 5 series. I took delivery of a 550 I sport last weekend and it is an awsome car. When the M5 comes out I will be trading in my 550.