PDA

View Full Version : way too slow down the 1/4?! s50'd e36 sedan

BMWFanatic
09-20-2009, 02:10 AM
so i went to the track tonight...the only thing i took out from how i normally drive the car was my rear seats.

mods:
'93 325i
S50
cosmos 3.5''> stock hfm > samco 3.5'' boot
s52 tubulars > dual 2 1/4> magnaflow x-pipe> dual 2 1/4>RD catback(old sku)
vpd pulleys
turner chip(off the shelf)
3.15 open FTL:(
gutted trunk, no sound deadening on rear shelf or underseats, rear seats taken out.

I ran at LVMS here in vegas.
Altitude: 2028ft
temperture: 88 degrees at around 7-8pm
tires: 50% federal 595's

R/t: .338
60ft : 2.186
330' : 6.0
1/8 : 9.233
mph: 76.37
1000': 11.996
ET: 14.346
MPH: 95.79

13.421 @ 102.377 (DA:5190 -adjusted at sea level dragtimes.com DA calculator)

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-altitude-calculator.php?elevationcorrect=5190&et=14.346&mph=95.79&correctetmph=Correct+ET+and+MPH

I honestly think thats slow for my mods/weight, I know my car should be mid-high 13's but I need to work on my 60ft i know. The other things i noticed that could shave time is that I noticed when I shift to second I can hear the tires rubbing on metal for a bit(I usually dont hear that but I have the back seat out for the runs so its more audible i guess). I think i should raise my car in the rear when i go the strip. I ran it same height as in my sig..

Another thing is that it was way too hot, i think in a couple of weeks the temp should be in the 70's and ill try again. Also I should be getting a pair of 8.5'' DSII's wrapped in re-01r's this winter from a friend and that should help out. And lastly I ran on a 3.15 open rear end. I need to bring my 3.23 from back home in hawaii.

any input or advice appreciated

-Chase

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/20/l_46612d5ce4634bdc98000ed858845bd3.jpg
http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/51/l_c8b7c6bc0a9c49d9865a4b033766a8bf.jpg

MrBlonde
09-20-2009, 03:40 AM
A mid 14 seems reasonable for your setup at that DA.

DTM325PWR
09-20-2009, 04:32 AM
LSD and some more practice you should get where you want to be. your trap is a little low though. i was trapping 103/104mph in my s50 powered 325is. but i had a 3.73lsd and a couple more mods. i was hitting rev limiter as i was crossing the finish line in 4th gear

95s52
09-20-2009, 05:17 AM
Hey, nice to see you get out there. Your car is really clean. I think you did fairly well considering what you're working with (open 3.15). Was this your first time out? What did your car weigh in at?

PS I don't know if you recall, we had a little friendly back and forth smack in one of my old kill threads. I guess this settles that.. ;)

BMWFanatic
09-20-2009, 03:52 PM
A mid 14 seems reasonable for your setup at that DA.

hmm..so do you think that if say I got a 2.0 60ft, ran in 70 degrees, and made it so my car doesnt rub when i launch/shift id be able to bring my et down? and by how much?

LSD and some more practice you should get where you want to be. your trap is a little low though. i was trapping 103/104mph in my s50 powered 325is. but i had a 3.73lsd and a couple more mods. i was hitting rev limiter as i was crossing the finish line in 4th gear

yeah i swear my speedo was at 100 but the track doesnt lie:(

Hey, nice to see you get out there. Your car is really clean. I think you did fairly well considering what you're working with (open 3.15). Was this your first time out? What did your car weigh in at?

PS I don't know if you recall, be had a little friendly back and forth smack in one of my old kill threads. I guess this settles that.. ;)

hey thanks man and yeah ill admit youd take me..lol didnt you just run 13.4 @106-7? insane dude.

This was probably my 7th run down the track in my whole life. I totally forgot to see if there was a scale there. I really want to know what i weigh.

95s52
09-20-2009, 03:57 PM
I ran a 13.34 @106.8. My trap is good for high 12's, but my traction is limiting me to the times I ran. Get more practice though. This is my 4th year out. There are many tricks you'll learn along the way that will help you improve your et/trap. I think that your first plan of action should be a diff.

Good luck and take care

Mark

BMWFanatic
09-20-2009, 04:23 PM
I ran a 13.34 @106.8. My trap is good for high 12's, but my traction is limiting me to the times I ran. Get more practice though. This is my 4th year out. There are many tricks you'll learn along the way that will help you improve your et/trap. I think that your first plan of action should be a diff.

Good luck and take care

Mark

thanks man, your one of my inspirations to be in the low-mid 13's with bolt-ons. I think i will be going to the track on a regular basis to practice aswell, its better than racing on the highway like I did back home in hawaii.

thanks for the advice

-Chase

MarqE36
09-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Definitely get that diff dude.. wish I had made it last night to see your runs but had other plans :(
is there a midnight mayhem this friday? haven't been to one in a while now..

MrBlonde
09-21-2009, 04:22 AM
hmm..so do you think that if say I got a 2.0 60ft, ran in 70 degrees, and made it so my car doesnt rub when i launch/shift id be able to bring my et down? and by how much?

With a good launch you'll be in the thirteens which is pretty cool.

If you can post the weather details for your passes then I can calculate the density altitude for you, or you can find a good online calculator. That will give you an idea of what your car might run at a sea level track with good air. Remember though nobody cares what a corrected pass numbers look like, it's only what you actually run that counts. But it gives you a good idea of where you are in comparison to the guys that get to run at Atco on a cold night after a Top Fueller meet the day before (ie perfect conditions)

95s52
09-21-2009, 04:36 AM
thanks man, your one of my inspirations to be in the low-mid 13's with bolt-ons. I think i will be going to the track on a regular basis to practice aswell, its better than racing on the highway like I did back home in hawaii.

thanks for the advice

-Chase

No problem. If I get the chance to make it out to sema this year I would love to check out your sedan. Oh and as far as street racing goes, I too have lost all of the appeal for it. A track day quenches my need for speed now-a-days..

Mark

BMWFanatic
09-21-2009, 12:01 PM
With a good launch you'll be in the thirteens which is pretty cool.

If you can post the weather details for your passes then I can calculate the density altitude for you, or you can find a good online calculator. That will give you an idea of what your car might run at a sea level track with good air. Remember though nobody cares what a corrected pass numbers look like, it's only what you actually run that counts. But it gives you a good idea of where you are in comparison to the guys that get to run at Atco on a cold night after a Top Fueller meet the day before (ie perfect conditions)

alright thanks for the wisdom:cool

No problem. If I get the chance to make it out to sema this year I would love to check out your sedan. Oh and as far as street racing goes, I too have lost all of the appeal for it. A track day quenches my need for speed now-a-days..

Mark

yeah man, hit me up if you do. id love to check out your 13.3 coupe. take it easy:)

-Chase

Mr. Lin
09-21-2009, 12:39 PM
did you drive through the water trap? :shifty
just sayin...

95s52
09-21-2009, 05:21 PM
alright thanks for the wisdom:cool

yeah man, hit me up if you do. id love to check out your 13.3 coupe. take it easy:)

-Chase

Hopefully by then its a 12.8 coupe ;)

BMWFanatic
09-21-2009, 06:50 PM
did you drive through the water trap? :shifty
just sayin...

nah, i go around. Feel like ill break something:help

Hopefully by then its a 12.8 coupe ;)

damn son!!! thats insane! are you gonna use slicks or DR's? what else are you gonna do to your car for that time?

95s52
09-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Im pretty sure a set of dr's should do the trick..

OnUrleft
09-21-2009, 10:00 PM
I noticed with a cosmos intake there was a spike down in power on the dynochart from the aggressive bend in the intake and two different dyno's. Once I switched intakes that loss was gone..My .02 and get that diff.

BMWFanatic
09-21-2009, 10:37 PM
I noticed with a cosmos intake there was a spike down in power on the dynochart from the aggressive bend in the intake and two different dyno's. Once I switched intakes that loss was gone..My .02 and get that diff.

which bend are you talking about? dont all true cai's have the same angle for our cars? I have version 1

KingJerd
10-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Damn Chase. As low as your car sits Im surprised that the only time you heard the scrape. Still got the purple headlights?

-This is Jarod from Hawaii....LOL

creeves328
10-06-2009, 08:00 PM
which bend are you talking about? dont all true cai's have the same angle for our cars? I have version 1

Interesting point S52MCoupe brought up, and perhaps an issue for you BMWFanatic. How did you scale the 3.5" ID sizes on each end of the 3" MAF? You're using the stock 3" ID MAF right?

OnUrleft
10-07-2009, 02:47 PM

I never dyno'd my car with the V1 but with the V2 the intakes aggressive turn caused a small spike down in power (somewhere when the Vanos kicks in) from all the turbulence the air goes through . This spike was obvious on my dynosheet from Vengeance and from Dynolab in Marietta, Ga. Once I swapped a Dinan intake on and tuned the car the spike was gone. Michael McCoy can verify this (he was my tuner and pointed it out).

BMWFanatic
10-10-2009, 04:13 AM
Damn Chase. As low as your car sits Im surprised that the only time you heard the scrape. Still got the purple headlights?

-This is Jarod from Hawaii....LOL

well this was a different scraping lol...the tires were rubbing on the insides of the quarter panels, other than that i just touch the speedbumps on my rails;)

Interesting point S52MCoupe brought up, and perhaps an issue for you BMWFanatic. How did you scale the 3.5" ID sizes on each end of the 3" MAF? You're using the stock 3" ID MAF right?

well its the cosmos v1 3.5'' metal intake with the 3.5'' rubber coupler tightened to the 3'' hfm tightened to 3.5'' samco so basically i just tightened both 3.5'' sides down to the hfm so it would be snug.

3.5''>3">3.5">stock tb

hopefully I should be able to go the the track on the 16th with my car raised in the rear, lower tire pressure, and new fuel filter. Havent changed the fuel filter the whole 5 years Ive had this car.

KingJerd
10-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Oh I know what scrape you were talking about. Calvin had that same scrape when he switched to R-Comps for auto-x. Its a horrible sound. Id say lift the back an inch or so, lower your tire pressure, and definately change your fuel filter!

xjeeper
10-10-2009, 09:54 PM
3.5''>3">3.5">stock tb

That may be a problem

creeves328
10-11-2009, 02:08 AM
I never dyno'd my car with the V1 but with the V2 the intakes aggressive turn caused a small spike down in power (somewhere when the Vanos kicks in) from all the turbulence the air goes through . This spike was obvious on my dynosheet from Vengeance and from Dynolab in Marietta, Ga. Once I swapped a Dinan intake on and tuned the car the spike was gone. Michael McCoy can verify this (he was my tuner and pointed it out).

Agreed. A 90degree bend adds flow resistance, as well as turbulence depending on the short-side and long-side radius differences. Keeping the short/long side radius' similar, like a sweep does, helps minimize this but still results in some loss.

In HP terms, it can be as high as 5%.

well its the cosmos v1 3.5'' metal intake with the 3.5'' rubber coupler tightened to the 3'' hfm tightened to 3.5'' samco so basically i just tightened both 3.5'' sides down to the hfm so it would be snug.

3.5''>3">3.5">stock tb

I'd say the filter pipe is too long for the S50 engine w/stock cams, as its targeting a frequency. It will create a faster flow velocity, which normally is good, except when you change the scaling downward (and especially in this short distance). It'll create turbulence over the MAF sensor, probably resulting in a leaner than actual condition.

Here's an idea.. Use a 3" ID PVC pipe and cut it to about 3-4" in length. Put the filter on the end, the rubber coupler on the other. The outer diameter of those PVC pipes are 3.5", which should fit the ID of the filter/coupler. Then use the stock elbow between the MAF and throttle body. This should help performance.

BMWFanatic
10-11-2009, 02:34 AM
^^wow 5%? that a lot for n/a motors. or I can just get some 21.5# inj. and chip and install my 540 hfm right? that will solve the turbulence?

and plus I feel that have the filter 4 inches off the ground gives me a couple more whp if its decently cold outside

ot: btw, nice '66 vette in your sig, those years are the most desireable right? my dad has a '63 split back in hawaii which is pretty sick. small block, auto, nothin fancy.

creeves328
10-12-2009, 11:42 PM
^^wow 5%? that a lot for n/a motors. or I can just get some 21.5# inj. and chip and install my 540 hfm right? that will solve the turbulence?

and plus I feel that have the filter 4 inches off the ground gives me a couple more whp if its decently cold outside

ot: btw, nice '66 vette in your sig, those years are the most desireable right? my dad has a '63 split back in hawaii which is pretty sick. small block, auto, nothin fancy.

The 540hfm (requiring the injectors/new tune) would help the turbulence of the dimension changes yes. However, another turbulence point is what S52MCoupe is pointing out, the bend between the MAF and filter. Since your filter is about 4" from the ground, I'm guessing its right behind where the foglight would be. This is probably a little long for your expected torque peaks, plus requires a bend.

I would suggest a shorter pipe, proper heat shielding and then try to deflect air into this area. There are many ways to do this, some are more drastic than others, PM me and I can detail more.

On the vette: Thank you sir! Its a work in progress as well, and I still need to do the body work. For the total project, its about 55-60% complete and I'm prideful to say I did 100% of the restoration myself (which is showroom condition).

Your father has a 63' split auto??? Nothing fancy you say? If its a 63' split 327 "fuelie" with the 2-speed power-glide, its worth over 100k.

BMWFanatic
02-18-2010, 07:15 PM
So i adjusted my time with the DA calculator from dragtimes.com(#1 post updated) and I came up with a correct run at 5190ft. I know it doesnt matter because i didnt run it on paper but I just need an idea where my car is before going to a new track

can anyone else plug my REAL run numbers into another calculator and see what they come up with?

On a side note, I just installed my 3.23 diff and she feels pretty good! sadly I can actually feel the difference when I shift through the gears the revs dont drop as much in my powerband! not bad for a .08 of a difference! Should be ready to go to lvms on 3/25 (test n tune) or 3/26 (midnight mayhem)

95s52
02-19-2010, 01:49 PM
So i adjusted my time with the DA calculator from dragtimes.com(#1 post updated) and I came up with a correct run at 5190ft. I know it doesnt matter because i didnt run it on paper but I just need an idea where my car is before going to a new track

can anyone else plug my REAL run numbers into another calculator and see what they come up with?

On a side note, I just installed my 3.23 diff and she feels pretty good! sadly I can actually feel the difference when I shift through the gears the revs dont drop as much in my powerband! not bad for a .08 of a difference! Should be ready to go to lvms on 3/25 (test n tune) or 3/26 (midnight mayhem)

I wish I could help you with your calculations, but i dont bench race ;)