PDA

View Full Version : Race Prep Checklist

E36BMW3series
08-03-2009, 11:40 AM
I am going to be doing a track event / most likely a drag race. It's actually against the Sheriff's son and his new 2003 Chevy Impala SS Automatic. Everyone thinks it fast as shit, and I wouldn't mind putting him in his place :D I don't think my car is that fast, but it is quick.

The book says it can run a 5.4 0-60 vs my 6.1. Although I have read the factory numbers for the e36 M3s are pretty conservative and can be reached pretty easily. (Car and driver ran a 4.6 in 1995 with the S50)

My car is all stock with the exception of a K&N Drop in Filter and 4 prong bosh spark plugs. All maintenance is up to date, recently did a head jog and got all the carbon off of the cylinders and head. Only 77,000 miles on the engine, so pretty good compression still.

I am planning on removing the spare tire to save some weight, and take out the restricter thing from the air box. Is there any other stupid little tricks like this that could unlock a few extra HP? Also there is a Citgo right by my house that sells race gas. 103?? From what I have read that really won't do much, but would that help me at all? I currently run only Shell 93.

Also launching. I have never done it before, but I think that gives me a better chance of beating him than from a roll since he is an auto right? Anyways, I have heard rev it up to about 3500-3800 rpm get the clutch right before it catches, when the flag goes drop the clutch and floor the gas?

BradR127
08-03-2009, 11:55 AM
The book says it can run a 4.6 0-60 vs my 6.1. Although I have read the factory numbers for the e36 M3s are pretty conservative and can be reached pretty easily. (Car and driver ran a 4.6 in 1995 with the S50)

This doesn't answer all your questions, but I think they actually tested it at 5.5 or 5.6 seconds...

GacAttack
08-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Our cars are not red-light racers or drag racers. They are made for turning. Unless you are on a road course or incorporate a lot of twists somehow, you will loose.

Sounds like you are just drag racing. You will loose. You will loose by a good margin.

RRSperry
08-03-2009, 12:34 PM
If I read correctly this is the Chevy with the supercharged 3800cc V6? 240Hp 280 Tq? 4180 lbs??? Front drive? 0-60 in 7 sec... You should kill it...

BradR127
08-03-2009, 12:53 PM
If I read correctly this is the Chevy with the supercharged 3800cc V6? 240Hp 280 Tq? 4180 lbs??? Front drive? 0-60 in 7 sec... You should kill it...

Yeah, where did the "0-60 in 4.1s" come from?

GacAttack
08-03-2009, 03:18 PM
If it's a 0-60 in 7s, then you'll win. My original comments are based on your post only (I have little knowledge of the Chevy Impala).

So OP, what exactly are you racing against?

Impulsed7
08-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Just run the way you are, maybe remove the spare. Race gas will actually produce less power without a tune for it. I killed one of those with my stock 95 M3, like bus lengths killed, so you with more torque shouldnt have a hard time.

MrBlonde
08-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Our cars are not red-light racers or drag racers. They are made for turning. Unless you are on a road course or incorporate a lot of twists somehow, you will loose.

Sounds like you are just drag racing. You will loose. You will loose by a good margin.

Tap Tap. Wake up!

E36BMW3series
08-03-2009, 08:42 PM
I made a big typo. I meant to say 5.4 seconds. I was thinking about this the whole day. It is a 2003 SS which has the big V8, I think around 320 hp?? FWD.

If it's a 0-60 in 7s, then you'll win. My original comments are based on your post only (I have little knowledge of the Chevy Impala).

So OP, what exactly are you racing against?

2003 Chevy Impala SS with the V8

Yes I know this. He thinks his car is some kind of super car and doesn't want to run it through the cones. I will hopefully be running mine through the cones, as well as drag racing him a couple of times. You get a bunch of these people here and they don't have any respect for european cars. I know if we set up a race where it is upto 70-85 mph I will stone him because I have to make 3 shifts to get to 60 and that extra shift takes some time off of the 0-60. He probably just has to do 2, and the 3rd shift with a slush box should slow him down quite a bit.

About me loose, see typo. It's only a 5.4 or so, so it should be really close, if not me pulling ahead. I would imagine he will have a hard time initally hooking up, where as I should be able to launch.

I will try and have someone post up a video :)

Actually I am retarded, and don't know the year. It has a 5.3 L V8 though. Still checking on the specs.

It's a 2006.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/chevrolet/impala/100550667/specs.html

303 hp
323 ft/lb torque.
3790 lbs.

= 12.5 lb per HP

I'm around 14.5 lb per hp, I have a 5 speed putting down a little more power to the wheels. It will be close. I'm not saying I will win, but I will be able to keep up.

From Edmunds:

Chevy says the new Impala SS can hit 0-60 in 5.7 seconds

Only has a 4 speed auto, which is pretty ridiculous. It does move pretty good.

SiGmA
08-05-2009, 02:11 AM
How you described launching is going to kill your short time. Hold RPMs around 3800, and slip the clutch to not slip the tires too much. I'd practice on the street a bit. Oh
and launch at the last yellow light, not the green?