PDA

View Full Version : Wheel hop..

WCM3
07-20-2009, 01:41 PM
What kinds of things do you e36 guys upgrade in order to remove your wheel hop from the launch? I went to the track Saturday (Cecil County) and ran my M3 on my BFG street tires. The best I could muster was 11.76 @ 126 with 2.0 60-ft. I'm planning to pick up some Mickey Thompson Drag Radials, but I also want to do if I can upgrade the suspension or anything like that for better launches.

I was looking for some sort of traction bar earlier, but then realized I didn't have any type of upgraded rear sway bar, or strut tower type bar. You think these would help at all?

Thanks guys,
Mike

jfdmas
07-20-2009, 03:10 PM
you need to ditch the DR's and that will solve most of it. You can also make a differential snubber to stop the nose of the dif from lifting. When i would launch with out the snubber i would here my diff drive shaft flange hitting he floor and while it was bouncing up and down the tires would spin everytime it unloaded. it was quite annoying. a snubber is something that presses down on the diff nose area to prevent it from lifting under load.

here are some examples however i just made my own. I welded a piece of square tube stock onto the subframe directly above the diff so that when i would launch the diff would travel about 1/8in until it hit the snubber(square tube).

WCM3
07-20-2009, 03:41 PM
you need to ditch the DR's and that will solve most of it. You can also make a differential snubber to stop the nose of the dif from lifting. When i would launch with out the snubber i would here my diff drive shaft flange hitting he floor and while it was bouncing up and down the tires would spin everytime it unloaded. it was quite annoying. a snubber is something that presses down on the diff nose area to prevent it from lifting under load.

here are some examples however i just made my own. I welded a piece of square tube stock onto the subframe directly above the diff so that when i would launch the diff would travel about 1/8in until it hit the snubber(square tube).

I didn't have any DRs on it. I was running straight street radial BFG tires. I'm planning on buying some drag radials..or should I not. Any pics of your snubber?

stanksbeamen
07-21-2009, 11:05 AM
What spring/shock combo do you have now?

mike radowski
07-21-2009, 12:19 PM
I am a big fan of plain slicks. I have a new set of DR's that would also work nicely if you are interested. Gimme a call.

WCM3
07-21-2009, 02:32 PM
What spring/shock combo do you have now?

I'm running H&R Race springs with Bilstein shocks.

I am a big fan of plain slicks. I have a new set of DR's that would also work nicely if you are interested. Gimme a call.

Well I can go that route too. Right now I have the set of Hoosier Quicktimes on 16" 3 series wheels that I bought from Stimpee last year sometime. I can either invest in front skinnies so i'm bias ply all around, or get some rear drag radials.

jfdmas
07-22-2009, 02:45 AM

Well I can go that route too. Right now I have the set of Hoosier Quicktimes on 16" 3 series wheels that I bought from Stimpee last year sometime. I can either invest in front skinnies so i'm bias ply all around, or get some rear drag radials.

front skinnies for sure. your axles will thank you later.;) no pics of the snubber but picture a wedge inbetween your diff and subframe to prevent the nose of the diff from rising towards the floor board.

BadBoostedBmwM3
07-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Mike, how much power is your car putting down??

MrBlonde
07-22-2009, 08:53 PM
What kinds of things do you e36 guys upgrade in order to remove your wheel hop from the launch? I went to the track Saturday (Cecil County) and ran my M3 on my BFG street tires. The best I could muster was 11.76 @ 126 with 2.0 60-ft. I'm planning to pick up some Mickey Thompson Drag Radials, but I also want to do if I can upgrade the suspension or anything like that for better launches.

I was looking for some sort of traction bar earlier, but then realized I didn't have any type of upgraded rear sway bar, or strut tower type bar. You think these would help at all?

Thanks guys,
Mike
Mike tighten up all the rear suspension components or better still replace all bushings with new and hard items.

You would remove your rear swap bar rather than upgrade it.

zemaestro
07-22-2009, 08:53 PM
get some tires with some sidewall....16 inch max, car sounds likes it pulling well

WCM3
07-23-2009, 01:33 PM
front skinnies for sure. your axles will thank you later.;) no pics of the snubber but picture a wedge inbetween your diff and subframe to prevent the nose of the diff from rising towards the floor board.

Ok, then I'll go that route. I'm planning to buy the e36 330i wheels that are 17x4, I believe. Then run some M&H front runners. I'll plan on getting a snubber installed over the winter as well. Thanks.

Mike, how much power is your car putting down??
Last dynoed we detuned it a little bit. It dynoed 416rwhp/380rwtq @ 14psi. If I upgrade the studs to ARP 2000's, Radowski said I should be safe to up the boost to 18-20psi. I also am contemplating installing an Aquamist kit. But that probably won't be until next season.

Mike tighten up all the rear suspension components or better still replace all bushings with new and hard items.

You would remove your rear swap bar rather than upgrade it.

Thanks, Kenny. It probably would be a good time to do that since I've never upgraded the bushings. I only upgraded the strut tower mounts to the e46 ones, and installed brand new oem bmw rtabs.

You think I should give it a try with the rear sway bar uninstalled?

get some tires with some sidewall....16 inch max, car sounds likes it pulling well

Definitely, it's making good trap speed, I just need to get it launching right. I currently have these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOO-17430?autofilter=1&part=HOO-17430&N=700+4294923107+4294793322+115&autoview=sku that i'm running on stock 16" e36 wheels..

bennyfizzle
07-27-2009, 10:30 AM
excuse me if I'm wrong, but a 126mph trap with a 3k lb car should put you right around 500whp..

jfdmas
07-27-2009, 12:22 PM
excuse me if I'm wrong, but a 126mph trap with a 3k lb car should put you right around 500whp..

meh, id say 450ish. At 550whp i was trapping 137mph.

card counter
07-27-2009, 03:45 PM

Ha ha I gave Stimpee those rims:buttrock

Hova
07-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Removing my sway bar made things a bit worse...

i posted a thread in the E36 section about wheel hop, seems that most if not all of it is attributed to the independent rear suspention....

some things that def helped out my situation were:

UUC poly RTAB`s (probably the biggest change right here, almost all of the wheel hop was gone after this)

UUC poly subframe bushings (a bit of difference, but more throttle response, and less delay between power on, and the power transfer..... at least thats how it felt)

Stiffer springs would also help, or even a stiffer shock as well.

The other option that was advised, and i will try next, is a much thicker rear sway bar (which makes sence)

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1087058

is my old thread. Feel free to bump away