PDA

View Full Version : 650i questions (hey parents...)

adnan1
07-20-2009, 03:29 AM
I've been thinking about a 335i for some time now, and am now considering a 2006-ish 650i with a manual tranny as well... some questions:

1. If anyone uses this with a car seat, do you have suggestions for what fits back there? I have a 2.5 year old. Will the front passenger seat still be usable?

2. My Accord just turned 215,000 miles and I've never done anything but occasionally change the oil. I'm not expecting this from the 650i, but what are the watch-outs? I always hear about electrical issues with modern BMWs, are these still prevalent? Can you buy an extended warranty from BMW if the used car you purchase is currently under the original warranty?

3. Any other buying tips would be helpful! Hopefully I can find one well under $40k, but the 6-spds manual seem to be rare.

Thanks!

Also- do all 650i's have an input jack (aux) for am MP3 player, or was this an option?

hicks650i
07-20-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm not a parent, but my friend is and we brought his daughter (newborn) along a few times. The car seat fits, but the front pass seat needs to be up. Not all the way, there is still room in the front just not enough room if you are over 6 foot.

Venturi962
07-25-2009, 04:19 PM
For 5 & 6 Series cars, the 2006 iPod input wasn't very good. The Aux input is a better choice.

AM6
07-31-2009, 09:13 AM
Adnan1 -

I have an '06 650i vert, a 4 year old, and 6 year old. Luckily, they are some of the only people that make this a 4 person car. We acutally just traded in an '06 325Ci vert, so I can speak for both interiors, unless you are talking about a 4dr 335i (which I have no personal experience, but it has to have more room than both).

Front to back they are virtually identical, with the 6 you gain width. With that width, the actual bottom of the seat (inside the thigh supports) is wider - this is a benefit for a child seat, particularly after you get them out of a latch capable seat and into a booster. Without the latch system to hold the seat down they will be propped up, sometimes a little sideways in the 3. We ended up using a spongey kitchen table booster (product name - Cooshie Booster seat) in the 3. A regular car seat should be good in either with the latch system to pull it in tight to the seat cushions (this will alter/stretch the leather over time).

I am 6'5" and my wife is 5'9", while we aren't real comfortable with kids in the back of either (front to back the same), it is do-able.

As for the watch-outs, just got it, but I haven't heard much negative.
Yes, you can still buy the extended warranty if under original. Call a dealer to price it.

Good luck!