PDA

View Full Version : hoosier slick

davidtm5
06-25-2009, 01:16 AM
just got back from the track today running my new 26" hoosier quick time dot slick and its really suck . i can only get to 60" that its . car was all over the track when going to 2 gear , i had no control of it what so ever
tire pressure is at 12psi
running stock 17 m3 wheel up front

can you guy let me know what might be wrong ? thanks

card counter
06-25-2009, 02:20 AM
When I talked to hoosier and M/T they both said our cars are heavy for thin side wall slicks.I had the same problem very unstable also the bias with radial mix is a big NO NO.

davidtm5
06-25-2009, 03:06 AM
When I talked to hoosier and M/T they both said our cars are heavy for thin side wall slicks.I had the same problem very unstable also the bias with radial mix is a big NO NO.
so that mean we have to stay with DR to get the car down the track ? right.this is the first time that i ever felt the car is uncontrolable.. its just seem like floating on the track . is it happen the same to you Card Counter ?
any suggestion for me ?
i m going back to the track again on July 4 so thinking of re order another set of Drag Radial

MrBlonde
06-25-2009, 04:11 AM
Don't mix bias ply slicks with radial front runners.

Go to bias ply front runners with the slicks.

got psi
06-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Get rid of the front tires and put bias ply drag tires or equivalent up front or go to drag radials. ///J.T.///

When I talked to hoosier and M/T they both said our cars are heavy for thin side wall slicks.I had the same problem very unstable also the bias with radial mix is a big NO NO. I can agree with some of that but there are WAY heavier cars out there doing just fine. It is just the tire company(s) propaganda machine . (oh your car is too heavy) LOL ///J.T.///

davidtm5
06-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Get rid of the front tires and put bias ply drag tires or equivalent up front or go to drag radials. ///J.T.///

I can agree with some of that but there are WAY heavier cars out there doing just fine. It is just the tire company(s) propaganda machine . (oh your car is too heavy) LOL ///J.T.///
JT do you guys know where i can get a set of front skinny for my e36 ?

blackbenzz
06-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Don't mix bias ply slicks with radial front runners.

Go to bias ply front runners with the slicks.
Exactly

Maybe try CCW for skinnies

got psi
06-25-2009, 12:54 PM
JT do you guys know where i can get a set of front skinny for my e36 ?Talk to streub1 he knows as he has a set on his car, Card counter should know he has a set on his chassis car I think. I have spindle mounts on my car so I can't help. Jeg's or Summitt . I want to say Chevy bolt pattern was what everyone was using but I'm not sure. Wish I could help more. ///J.T.///

davidtm5
06-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Talk to streub1 he knows as he has a set on his car, Card counter should know he has a set on his chassis car I think. I have spindle mounts on my car so I can't help. Jeg's or Summitt . I want to say Chevy bolt pattern was what everyone was using but I'm not sure. Wish I could help more. ///J.T.///

thanks JT . try to call them up now

jfdmas
06-26-2009, 02:45 AM
these slicks are too skiny to air down to 12psi. this is your issue and i know because i had the same issue as well on the very same slicks. You need to start at 17-18psi and work your way down until you hit the sweet spot. I run my hoosiers at 15psi and that seems to be enough air to keep me straight going down the track.

Im not sure if i should realy be helping you best my ET.:D

MrBlonde
06-26-2009, 08:33 AM
I would start at 22 psi and not go under 18 psi on heavy sedans like ours. Just because Andreas runs radials with slicks at 8 psi doesn't mean you will survive a top end crash at 155 MPH without harnesses, rollcage or guard rails.

davidtm5
06-26-2009, 12:18 PM
these slicks are too skiny to air down to 12psi. this is your issue and i know because i had the same issue as well on the very same slicks. You need to start at 17-18psi and work your way down until you hit the sweet spot. I run my hoosiers at 15psi and that seems to be enough air to keep me straight going down the track.

Im not sure if i should realy be helping you best my ET.:D

come on Jfdmas youre my friends rights ?:)
i already order another set of DR 255.5016 from Summit yesterday will try it out next race, and waiting to get a set of front skinny up front for the Hoosier

I would start at 22 psi and not go under 18 psi on heavy sedans like ours. Just because Andreas runs radials with slicks at 8 psi doesn't mean you will survive a top end crash at 155 MPH without harnesses, rollcage or guard rails.

so i have to start from 25 psi and go down to 15 psi or so ......but i think with that amount tire pressure i will have alot of wheel spin

B.Watts
06-26-2009, 01:29 PM
so i have to start from 25 psi and go down to 15 psi or so ......but i think with that amount tire pressure i will have alot of wheel spin

Wheel spin out of the gate sounds more desirable than hitting the wall at the top end.

jfdmas
06-26-2009, 03:06 PM
i realy dont think anything below 15psi would be productive on this size slick.

bubela
06-30-2009, 06:53 AM
I ran your set up David, and crossed the line sideways.
Definitely get some skinnies if you want to run those hoosier out back.
...Unless you like lots of adrenaline pumping through your body! (and don't mind dieing)

WCM3
07-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Check out the thread below dealing with front runners. Drew said they will clear the M3 caliper no problem, but I don't think anyone ever tested these. I plan to buy some within the next couple weeks and run M&H skinnies up front.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1073407

FYI, I have the same hoosier slicks as you on the rear with 3 series wheels. Tried to run the radial front/bias ply rear and floated down the track like you were saying..