PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best 1/4mile time

E36M31995
06-12-2009, 05:39 AM
You guys have for a NA E36 M3..

Here in Cape Town a buddy ran a 13.1

RADI0ACTIV3M4N
06-12-2009, 10:22 AM
downhill, right? I'm just kidding, that's pretty impressive if so.

stanksbeamen
06-12-2009, 12:32 PM
There's a thread at the top of this sub-forum. If you didnt know, now you do. :)

jworms
06-12-2009, 01:53 PM
You guys have for a NA E36 M3..

Here in Cape Town a buddy ran a 13.1

what was his trap speed? mods?

and yeah, there's a listing around here with a bunch of e36 M3 results.

MrBlonde
06-12-2009, 05:42 PM
downhill, right? I'm just kidding, that's pretty impressive if so.

The South African M3 have the real M3 engine (S50B32) not the US S52 boat anchor remember.

OP check the link in my sig. The best E36 M3 NA time is 12.236 @ 112.38 MPH Dave Thompson (fishforlife) - E36 sedan. 18 Apr 2009

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468491

OnUrleft
06-12-2009, 06:56 PM
I believe the best times for cars with interior are high 12's, slightly better than your buddies time

KnudsonsM3
06-13-2009, 01:27 AM
The South African M3 have the real M3 engine (S50B32) not the US S52 boat anchor remember.

OP check the link in my sig. The best E36 M3 NA time is 12.236 @ 112.38 MPH Dave Thompson (fishforlife) - E36 sedan. 18 Apr 2009

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468491

daves isnt a sedan.

MrBlonde
06-13-2009, 03:09 AM
daves isnt a sedan.

Ah yeah thanks!

bimmertc20
06-13-2009, 08:04 PM
I believe the best times for cars with interior are high 12's, slightly better than your buddies time
raymond97 ran 12.6 full interior, stereo and a/c car weight over 3100lbs

MrBlonde
06-13-2009, 10:06 PM

Nobody cares about full interior or not. As soon as you start up with the sub sub sub sub classes then you can always find a way to make your car the quickest estoril blue E36 M3 with full interior and OEM clutch in North America on street radials, etc, etc ,etc.

PEI330Ci
06-14-2009, 02:59 AM
Nobody cares about full interior or not. As soon as you start up with the sub sub sub sub classes then you can always find a way to make your car the quickest estoril blue E36 M3 with full interior and OEM clutch in North America on street radials, etc, etc ,etc.

Original drivetrains.

Who is the quickest period.

Thats all that counts in my mind.

OnUrleft
06-14-2009, 01:40 PM

:lol:lol

jworms
06-15-2009, 02:48 PM

while i agree with what you said, there is definitely something to be said for the fastest in a specific "sub class", such as stock, or mildly modified, etc. not everybody is willing to modify their car to the extent that some have in order to have the fastest car.

if it were just about having the fastest E36 M3, then it surely wouldn't be NA. last i checked, it was a turbo setup, running somewhere in the neighborhood of 9s in the 1/4. when it comes down to it, with enough time/money, you can make anything fast.

MrBlonde
06-15-2009, 08:45 PM
while i agree with what you said, there is definitely something to be said for the fastest in a specific "sub class", such as stock, or mildly modified, etc. not everybody is willing to modify their car to the extent that some have in order to have the fastest car.

if it were just about having the fastest E36 M3, then it surely wouldn't be NA. last i checked, it was a turbo setup, running somewhere in the neighborhood of 9s in the 1/4. when it comes down to it, with enough time/money, you can make anything fast.

Define "stock" and "mildly modified".

E36M31995
06-16-2009, 03:47 AM
My buddy's car is as stock as it comes....that day he ran those 13.1's he had semi-slicks striped interior (back seats & passanger seat taken out) and avgas ...

I will ask him for his slip or maybe ask him to join the forum...he sold his car since and the guy who bought it wrote it off...

Also he had the neatest E36 M3 German Spec in South Africa

creeves328
06-16-2009, 03:54 AM
My buddy's car is as stock as it comes....that day he ran those 13.1's he had semi-slicks striped interior (back seats & passanger seat taken out) and avgas ...

I will ask him for his slip or maybe ask him to join the forum...he sold his car since and the guy who bought it wrote it off...

This the car you're talking about?

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b95/Wheelworx1/DSC00026.jpg

E36M31995
06-16-2009, 04:02 AM
No that is Zaki's car...i speak under correction but i think his best was a 13.3

The guy who ran 13.1 is Nathan aka Naati he had a Avus Blue E36 M3 2 Door

i will let them know about this forum then they can represent themselves

MrBlonde
06-16-2009, 04:28 AM

If it ran on avgas it wasn't stock!

E36M31995
06-16-2009, 04:46 AM
sorry did not know throwing in a hgher octane fuel makes your car not standard any more :(

Spoke to Zaki and i did make a mistakee with his time...

"i also ran a 13.1 with pump fuel and no semi's"

MrBlonde
06-16-2009, 08:52 AM
sorry did not know throwing in a hgher octane fuel makes your car not standard any more :(

Spoke to Zaki and i did make a mistakee with his time...

"i also ran a 13.1 with pump fuel and no semi's"
Do you think a stock S50B32 would run with 120 octane leaded fuel and no ECU changes?

jworms
06-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Define "stock" and "mildly modified".

these are all up for community defining, but in my opinion stock means bone stock. everything down to the tires (at least run similar to stock tires). no weight reduction, etc.. mildly modified is a broad category with multiple sub categories. it's like the supra community with their BPU and APU classifications. i could go on and give my definition of mildly modified, but there are a multitude of levels within that category and everyone eventually fits somewhere in there. it is not my job to come up with these classes, it is the duty of the community to come up with them.

the reason for all this? i think the different classifications allow for having performance numbers from comparable setups and show the potential of the platform. if somebody was doing research on the E36 M3 platform, as a drag racing car, and saw that it was capable of pulling such numbers with specific work done to it, then it might sway their decision on it. don't get me wrong, fishforlife's NA accomplishments are a great feat in the E36 M3 community, but they are not easily reproduced, nor will many people attempt to do what he did again (if anyone at all!), but he has set the bar for that "class". even if nobody attempts to do what he did, it has still been done and it could be reproduced if the will was there to do so. the goal i'm shooting for is 12s with a car setup like mine (without cams, headers, custom tune, race gas, and without overly extensive weight reduction). something nobody with a US spec E36 M3 has done to my knowledge, yet the setup is easily reproducible. i think that to have classifications, you need "bar-setters". something this community is lacking in the NA arena...then again, that makes it easy for people who are looking to set the bar ;)

MrBlonde
06-16-2009, 08:13 PM
these are all up for community defining, but in my opinion stock means bone stock. everything down to the tires (at least run similar to stock tires). no weight reduction, etc.. mildly modified is a broad category with multiple sub categories. it's like the supra community with their BPU and APU classifications. i could go on and give my definition of mildly modified, but there are a multitude of levels within that category and everyone eventually fits somewhere in there. it is not my job to come up with these classes, it is the duty of the community to come up with them.

the reason for all this? i think the different classifications allow for having performance numbers from comparable setups and show the potential of the platform. if somebody was doing research on the E36 M3 platform, as a drag racing car, and saw that it was capable of pulling such numbers with specific work done to it, then it might sway their decision on it. don't get me wrong, fishforlife's NA accomplishments are a great feat in the E36 M3 community, but they are not easily reproduced, nor will many people attempt to do what he did again (if anyone at all!), but he has set the bar for that "class". even if nobody attempts to do what he did, it has still been done and it could be reproduced if the will was there to do so. the goal i'm shooting for is 12s with a car setup like mine (without cams, headers, custom tune, race gas, and without overly extensive weight reduction). something nobody with a US spec E36 M3 has done to my knowledge, yet the setup is easily reproducible. i think that to have classifications, you need "bar-setters". something this community is lacking in the NA arena...then again, that makes it easy for people who are looking to set the bar ;)
Define "community".

jworms
06-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Define "community".
i'm a bit confused at this point, but i'll give it a shot.

most likely community would mean this forum and other mediums/forums where enthusiasts share a common interest in the particular car model, but i think on a grander scheme any car enthusiast, anywhere.

creeves328
06-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Wow you guys are passionate about this. My opinion is like Worms on "stock", just like how the car magazines test their cars (with full fluids). Other than the term "stock", both Raymond's 3100lb beast and Dave's uberlicht OEM long block are impressive to me. They're at the opposite ends of the extreme for the US NA.

E36M31995 (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/member.php?u=225715) - I sent Zaki some thoughts on his lean conditions on M3forums.net, he disappeared since. How did his 1/4 mile go, he make changes to enrichen after 6500?

janders211
06-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Define "community".
Define "define"

Most of the words/classifications people have mentioned previously have generally accepted uses. Obviously there is grey area, and no clear lines. Human communication is by nature vague; It is not mathematics.

MrBlonde
06-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Define "define"

Most of the words/classifications people have mentioned previously have generally accepted uses. Obviously there is grey area, and no clear lines. Human communication is by nature vague; It is not mathematics.

I understand that most of the posters in this thread do not have an NHRA race licence and have never competed in an official event. With more knowledge and experience comes a better understanding of why classifications are important. Once classifications are important, then the definition of those classifications becomes important.

People build or setup their car according to those rules. Once you start racing a bit more seriously, you want to measure how you're performing against others who fit into the same classification (set of rules).

When you give a vague term like "stock" or "community" then there are no clear cut rules someone can follow or measure against.

The way we've handle it here in BFc since 2002 is to pick a few broad categories. Click on the link in my sig to read the leaderboard for forced induction and NA cars as well as the rules.

There are no references to weight removal. It cannot be policed or enforced, there is no point.

Dave (fishforlife) has the quickest NA pass here and that's all she wrote. Everyone else is trying to catch him. The answer to beating his mark is not to define a subclass where your car is the quickest!

jworms
06-17-2009, 12:15 AM
I understand that most of the posters in this thread do not have an NHRA race licence and have never competed in an official event. With more knowledge and experience comes a better understanding of why classifications are important. Once classifications are important, then the definition of those classifications becomes important.

People build or setup their car according to those rules. Once you start racing a bit more seriously, you want to measure how you're performing against others who fit into the same classification (set of rules).

When you give a vague term like "stock" or "community" then there are no clear cut rules someone can follow or measure against.

The way we've handle it here in BFc since 2002 is to pick a few broad categories. Click on the link in my sig to read the leaderboard for forced induction and NA cars as well as the rules.

There are no references to weight removal. It cannot be policed or enforced, there is no point.

Dave (fishforlife) has the quickest NA pass here and that's all she wrote. Everyone else is trying to catch him. The answer to beating his mark is not to define a subclass where your car is the quickest!

i think there is a disconnect here. i'm not trying to take away from dave's incredible accomplishment with his e36 M3 at all!

...but at the end of the day there are tons of FI E36 M3s that will blow by him like he's sitting still. with those cars around, why even bother to mention dave's car? is it because they are FI and he's NA? that's a classification if i ever saw one.

it's not always about who has the absolute quickest car. sometimes it's more about how you got there. (yes, i know how cheesy that sounds)

for example, do you see merit in bone stock performance? what about the guy who was able to run 12.7@107mph with a bone stock E46 M3 -- Lee (Mathews) Rutters? or our own silverstreak's runs with his Z3 and his incredible performance he was able to wring out of a bone stock e46 330 ZHP? these are all great accomplishments and deserve recognition. are there faster variants of each car with more mods/weight reduction/etc. that i mentioned? of course! but that doesn't take anything away from their accomplishments.

maybe i'm missing the point here. maybe it's just referring to classifying modified cars and in this case, naturally aspirated modified cars. i totally agree that it's very difficult to classify modified cars, but it's these very classifications that allow us to compare our cars to others. there's really no point in comparing my car to dave's car because my car will never be like his. the logical comparison for me involve cars similarly modded to mine.

MrBlonde
06-17-2009, 12:56 AM
i think there is a disconnect here. i'm not trying to take away from dave's incredible accomplishment with his e36 M3 at all!

...but at the end of the day there are tons of FI E36 M3s that will blow by him like he's sitting still. with those cars around, why even bother to mention dave's car? is it because they are FI and he's NA? that's a classification if i ever saw one.

it's not always about who has the absolute quickest car. sometimes it's more about how you got there. (yes, i know how cheesy that sounds)

for example, do you see merit in bone stock performance? what about the guy who was able to run 12.7@107mph with a bone stock E46 M3 -- Lee (Mathews) Rutters? or our own silverstreak's runs with his Z3 and his incredible performance he was able to wring out of a bone stock e46 330 ZHP? these are all great accomplishments and deserve recognition. are there faster variants of each car with more mods/weight reduction/etc. that i mentioned? of course! but that doesn't take anything away from their accomplishments.

maybe i'm missing the point here. maybe it's just referring to classifying modified cars and in this case, naturally aspirated modified cars. i totally agree that it's very difficult to classify modified cars, but it's these very classifications that allow us to compare our cars to others. there's really no point in comparing my car to dave's car because my car will never be like his. the logical comparison for me involve cars similarly modded to mine.

Yes, the current classifications we have are:

1. Outright
2. Pro Street
3. All Motor (NA)

Dave's car is mentioned because he and his car are the quickest in All Motor. He's currently quicker than any other BMW naturally aspirated on this forum.

It is absolutely about who has the quickest car. That's the most important fact for each member on the list. Have you even looked at the list? For those interested in the backstory on each driver and car, that's cool too. Some guys want to talk about how they got there and what they've done and some do not, but prefer their timeslips to do all the talking.

I have the greatest respect for Dave (Silverstreak) and for Lee, they have both shown great skills at Atco with a well prepped track below sea level with bone stock cars.

I have no idea what your car is or how it performs, so I can't compare it to Dave's car which is top of the hill for NA BMWs here. You have to actually post your timeslips to be in the game!

Good luck to anyone who enjoys drag racing and wants to have fun with it!

creeves328
06-17-2009, 01:20 AM
Interesting convo, like I said you guys are passionate.

It would be nice to define sub classes as Jon is suggesting, but Kenny's reason about inability to police makes a compelling case of why it can't be done.

Thank you guys for not saying "who are you??", random spectator here.

wheelworx
06-17-2009, 04:13 AM
howsit gents,
My name is Zaki. I see u hav a pic of my car in this thread.
Well let me put u all in perspective. I hav a 3.2 engine, button clutch with std flywheel. On the day i ran a 13.3 1/4 mile. My setup was the following....
255/40/17 B/stone semi's
100 octane Avgas
All seats in the car
chiplogic software

and a very good launch and it was a good summers day. with a good prepped track

my 13.1 i ran at night, but i had street tyres Continentals sport contact 2 245/40/17
All seats
No fuel
but FRC software this time and a not so badly prepped track.

The guy with the 2dr ran a 13.1 with al his seats out.

Our sa record to date is a 12.9 and thats a 4dr as well, which is wat i am chasing.

I'm gonna start a new thread, cause mayb u gys can help me with a problemi am sitting with.

Nice forum btw

E36M31995
06-17-2009, 05:20 AM
There you go guys...this guy's ///M is pretty impressive...so i do hope you guys can help him with his gremlins :)

thanx admin for helping with his activation link ;)

bimmertc20
06-17-2009, 10:47 AM
I have no idea what your car is or how it performs, so I can't compare it to Dave's car which is top of the hill for NA BMWs here. You have to actually post your timeslips to be in the game!

when we did 12.6 n/a 3100lbs with raymond 97 car, there was alot of non-beleivers, we were asked to show time slip n video, lately i see alot off time slips no video

jworms
06-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Yes, the current classifications we have are:

1. Outright
2. Pro Street
3. All Motor (NA)

Dave's car is mentioned because he and his car are the quickest in All Motor. He's currently quicker than any other BMW naturally aspirated on this forum.

It is absolutely about who has the quickest car. That's the most important fact for each member on the list. Have you even looked at the list? For those interested in the backstory on each driver and car, that's cool too. Some guys want to talk about how they got there and what they've done and some do not, but prefer their timeslips to do all the talking.

I have the greatest respect for Dave (Silverstreak) and for Lee, they have both shown great skills at Atco with a well prepped track below sea level with bone stock cars.

here's an example of a pretty nice 1/4 mile performance listing:
http://my350z.com/forum/drag/233840-top-25-1-4-mile-times-for-tt-st-supercharger-nitrous-bolt-ons-stock.html
if you go down to the non-stock/bolt-on list you'll notice they have made little marks next to the cars with built blocks. i would assume this is because that's not something the average joe will end up doing and those results are not typical -- same with dave's results. again, that's not to take away from the accomplishment, it's just to show that he is in a different 'class' than most even if his results are classified as NA with bolt-ons. hell, if there was a decent way to list modifications for each car, i think that would solve all of this talk. that way people can make their own personal "classifications".

as for me....as soon as i get myself to a good 1/4 mile track i'll definitely be posting more timeslips. until then, all i have to go on are 1/8th mile results from a decent track and lots of 1/4 mile slips from horrible tracks. so cal is not very good for finding a sea level 1/4 mile track with decent conditions.

MrBlonde
06-17-2009, 07:31 PM
when we did 12.6 n/a 3100lbs with raymond 97 car, there was alot of non-beleivers, we were asked to show time slip n video, lately i see alot off time slips no video

You won't see a single entry on my list without a timeslip and or video. You must be talking about someone else's list.

Click on the link in my sig to see the BFc drag racing list.

here's an example of a pretty nice 1/4 mile performance listing:
http://my350z.com/forum/drag/233840-top-25-1-4-mile-times-for-tt-st-supercharger-nitrous-bolt-ons-stock.html
if you go down to the non-stock/bolt-on list you'll notice they have made little marks next to the cars with built blocks. i would assume this is because that's not something the average joe will end up doing and those results are not typical -- same with dave's results. again, that's not to take away from the accomplishment, it's just to show that he is in a different 'class' than most even if his results are classified as NA with bolt-ons. hell, if there was a decent way to list modifications for each car, i think that would solve all of this talk. that way people can make their own personal "classifications".

as for me....as soon as i get myself to a good 1/4 mile track i'll definitely be posting more timeslips. until then, all i have to go on are 1/8th mile results from a decent track and lots of 1/4 mile slips from horrible tracks. so cal is not very good for finding a sea level 1/4 mile track with decent conditions.
Jon the list seems nice, perhaps you could do one like that here and start your own list? You can then define a list for all the modifications as you said. I look forward to seeing it.

jworms
06-17-2009, 07:52 PM
You won't see a single entry on my list without a timeslip and or video. You must be talking about someone else's list.

Click on the link in my sig to see the BFc drag racing list.

Jon the list seems nice, perhaps you could do one like that here and start your own list? You can then define a list for all the modifications as you said. I look forward to seeing it.
i have great respect for you and the list you started and am not interested in making/managing my own at this point. on the other hand, if you see merit in what i've mentioned feel free to include that in yours :)

PEI330Ci
06-17-2009, 10:57 PM

I recently improved my personal best times, but only have a time slip to show for it and some in-car video. I never made any claims to move my spot up on the list because I didn't have the "proof" I thought would be required.

In Raymond's case, I think the issue was that he came out of no-where and people wanted to know what was up. Others like Card Counter could post a time without a slip or video and most would believe it.

I think a video of the car going down track, (from the outside) and a timeslip is a fair request. It brings legitimacy to the hard work that people put into making a number.

MrBlonde
06-18-2009, 02:12 AM
I recently improved my personal best times, but only have a time slip to show for it and some in-car video. I never made any claims to move my spot up on the list because I didn't have the "proof" I thought would be required.

In Raymond's case, I think the issue was that he came out of no-where and people wanted to know what was up. Others like Card Counter could post a time without a slip or video and most would believe it.

I think a video of the car going down track, (from the outside) and a timeslip is a fair request. It brings legitimacy to the hard work that people put into making a number.
Adam, you are known and trusted, post up what you've got.

bimmertc20
06-18-2009, 09:48 AM

I think a video of the car going down track, (from the outside) and a timeslip is a fair request. It brings legitimacy to the hard work that people put into making a number. for me a video gives me more info on the car as far as burnout, launching process, shifting etc, and i can interpert it to the mods that the car has, seeing a vid also tells me the true capability of he driver/car/track combo (more than a timeslip) yes it does help to make it legit, vid n slip should be required across the board,

.:nono lol,

MrBlonde
06-18-2009, 07:13 PM
for me a video gives me more info on the car as far as burnout, launching process, shifting etc, and i can interpert it to the mods that the car has, seeing a vid also tells me the true capability of he driver/car/track combo (more than a timeslip) yes it does help to make it legit, vid n slip should be required across the board,

:nono lol,
Dude did you miss where he said he has the timeslip? He also has incar footage.

bimmertc20
06-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Dude did you miss where he said he has the timeslip? He also has incar footage.
the normal purpose of the vid is to show the holeshot, accelration and in most cases show the actual time the car runs, i've yet to see a in-car vid that shows the time from inside the car, seeing n hearing peoples reaction to a nice run is entertaining, and like i said before a vid can b a good learning tool

PEI330Ci
06-18-2009, 11:39 PM

Kenny, I appreciate the words of encouragement but I don't have a picture of the timeslip at the moment. (I'm out of the country for a short while)

When I get back, I'll post up what I've got.

the normal purpose of the vid is to show the holeshot, accelration and in most cases show the actual time the car runs, i've yet to see a in-car vid that shows the time from inside the car, seeing n hearing peoples reaction to a nice run is entertaining, and like i said before a vid can b a good learning tool

Hold the timeslip in front of the camera when you recieve it. :stickoutt

I've got a Chasecam setup going in the car you may find interesting...

MrBlonde
06-19-2009, 07:36 PM

I totally agree with what you said, having both grandstand video and incar is even better! But of course requires a lot more editing.