PDA

View Full Version : For those with faded and cracked Dove Grey Vader Seats!

Zippy M3
03-15-2001, 06:39 PM
Hey I've found a custom 3 step kit from Leather Masters that will redye our seats and make them look like new. The kit will do 3 - 4 cars and you only need to do it once. Duane Collie from UUC who recommends it has tried it with great results. Leather Masters has a BMW Dove Grey swatch from a M3 on file and can make more of the kit. The 3 item (Cleaner, Dye and Cream) kit runs for $80 plus shipping but I don't want to do 2-3 cars so I'm wondering if someone wants to share the price of one? Call me cheep-O but I just blew $2500 on some new 18's and tires :). Also unlike painting the leather (another technique), this stuff will not flake, smear or stain over time. Oh ya, I've tried Lexol and a bunch of other stuff, but they just cleans the seats and the cracks and the faded leather still shows.

Here's the original archive post:

I promised to send a post on my attempt to repair my '95 M3 Buffalo Grey leather which suffered a dye-transfer from carrying a new tire in the seat when returning from O'Fest.

So I went to the experts - Leather Master out of North Carolina and sent them a sample swatch with the stain re-created. They sent back a number of products, in various levels of potency (some of these could etch glass, I think). I worked through them up to and including the last & most drastic of them : SUPER REMOVER! This one has caution label alls over it including "USE AS LAST DITCH EFFORT BEFORE REPLACING LEATHER". OhhhKayyyyyy...right....this should be good.....

I proceed cautiously with the Super Remover as a last resort (as the lesser products failed to remove the stain). "BY GAWD!" I says..."Super Remover is getting the stain out...finally!" It is also taking the original BMW leather pigment dye with it.

This is not a good thing.

On to the next step. I suspected this would be the case and had them mix up a water-based analine dye kit.
It works great! They nailed the color spot-on and its now just a matter of laying up successive coats of dye. This is not as drastic as it sounds an is easy to do. Its also great for re-dying the cracks on the aggressive bolsters on the standard E36 M3 seats. This is not an acrlyic-based paint (that I saw another Digester mention they used) - the painted leather repairs eventually crack and flake off over time. A proper water-based analine dye sinks in and bonds to the leather itself.

You can call Leather Master direct at 800-300-2359. I'm a dealer for them (I use their products for touch-ups on leather furniture I sell in my store) so I do not know if they sell direct. I don't really want to get into the business of selling leather care products via the Digest, but if you are in need and cannot source elsewhere, then drop me an e-mail and I'll help you out if I can on a very limited basis. NOTE: This is NOT a solitation for commercial business - and I have nothing to send out for information!

Here's what I used:

MIDI kit (a basic 'soft' cleaner & protection kit).. $ 17.50 Bottle of Super Cleaner (careful here!) .... $ 19.00 Custom Colorline Kit-Pigmented (matched to your leather).. $ 49.00

Moral of the story:

Rubber products DO chemical dye transfer into the leather - don't lay them on your seats.
Save the leather sample swatch BMW gives you when you buy the car so it can be sent off for a dye match transfer later on if required.
Don't be afraid to re-dye your seats, but get the right product (not acrylic paint!)
Duane Collie
RM3DR1
National Capital Chapter

FatBoyM
03-16-2001, 12:04 AM
Zippy, I've got a hole on one panel on the front seat. My seats are grey-I'm assuming that's the Dove Gray. When are you thinking of doing it? I'll go in with you.

FatBoyM
03-16-2001, 12:07 AM
Um, I only need a tiny bit. . the rest of my seats are pretty good.

eurospec#19
03-16-2001, 05:08 AM
I could use some for all my seats and door panels...I'm in.

RSnaider
03-16-2001, 08:22 AM
Is dove gray the same as the light gray used on my 98 M3/4? If so, then my drivers seat side bolsters need some help.

eurospeed
03-16-2001, 03:43 PM
I'm in for a small (approx 2 x 2 inch) area if you need more people to split with. Let us know, thanks!

Zippy M3
03-16-2001, 04:57 PM
Hahahaha....if we get 50 more people then I'll only cost use $1.50 each!

Well I'm really looking to share this 50/50 so that it doesn't get too complicated with the shipping and all. I've got 3 people who have contacted me and I'll go down my list on Monday and the first person to say ok is the winner. Please email me if you want to go 50/50.

Thanks

tampaturbom3
03-16-2001, 07:42 PM
looks like us with the gray leather have something in common.... cracked bolsters. i usually brag about the detail and craftsmanship of BMW's, but the seats cracking prior to 50k miles and the door panels delaminating (both not covered by cpo) really stinks. my corvettes at least were put together better than that.