PDA

View Full Version : Next fall (2004) western states driving tour... looking for interested parties...

Dark Helmet
08-11-2003, 01:44 PM
I've always had a dream of driving from lincoln to Nome, AK and back... now, I realize that that might be a little bit, well, optimistic.

so, I'm trying to guage interest in a long-distance road trip sometime next year, probably late-september.

the trip can last anywhere from 3-4 days to 2-3 weeks, and follow any of several formats depending on the ultimate destination.

my preference would be spend 4-6 days on the road, average 500 miles a day, maybe a little more... it really depends.

if you have some interest, let me know, I'd like to get at least 6 people together, probably in two vehicles...

Dark Helmet
08-13-2003, 11:53 AM
come on you pansies!!!!

how about a trip up through the mountains to yellowstone and back?? is THAT a little more palatable???

Mojo325is
08-13-2003, 12:18 PM
Make sure you stop by San Diego and see me.......

Dark Helmet
08-13-2003, 05:18 PM
why don't you drive north and meet us somewhere.... hoser. :D:D

Mr Project
08-13-2003, 06:28 PM
Sheesh, I do actual work for a while and look what I'm missing! :)

RE: Yellowstone: I've done that in a day. The long way. From the far side. With a stop in Bozeman, MT. In the RX-7. :) That was my 1200 + mile day. :)

Might be an option, though, I told Tracy I'd take her to Yellowstone someday... plus, if we went up to Glacier Nat'l Park I've got friends that would give us the grand tour....former ranger.

Mr Project
08-13-2003, 06:30 PM
BTW: Wow, MapPoint 2k2 couldn't even find a route from Lincoln to Nome. :D

Dark Helmet
08-13-2003, 06:46 PM
now we're talking... we'll need to think about vehicle selection/procurement a bit as well... we can always count on at least one 4x4 truck from my family... which would be a nice start, that just leaves a capable people-hauler to round it out... an Xi would be about perfect... or any mid-sized SUV for that matter...

hmmmmm... and is this a co-ed trip??? Brenda is a no-go for sure. no way her hips could handle that much time in a car.

Mr Project
08-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Unless we're doing serious off-roading, this is nothing a car couldn't handle... plus it wouldn't suck to drive through the mountains, and decent mileage is a plus on a 2000 + mile trip. I drive 15 passenger vans in CO every year... I can only take so much... :D

Diesel W124 to the rescue!!!

And holy crap, it's 3500 miles one-way just to Anchorage. You have quite a dream, my friend. :)

RE: co-ed. Don't know, but you'll have to count me out if it's more than a few days and not co-ed. I'll never pull that off. :)

Mojo325is
08-13-2003, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I could maybe head north, not to Nome or Anchorage (which, btw. is where my parents are this week) but Yellowstone isn't too far.......

Dark Helmet
08-14-2003, 01:54 PM
Armen... I'll have Bren haul the girls on a shopping expedition to KC or something like that...

as for Yellowstone, I can dig it.

Theodore
08-15-2003, 11:55 AM
Seattle is a fun drive in one day from Topeka...

Dark Helmet
08-15-2003, 03:09 PM
from lincoln too! (BTDT!)

Theodore
08-15-2003, 05:26 PM
In the winter?!?!?! Did mine last new years day. NH in a day? That's fun too. The good thing about those drives is that you leave whenever you want to get there. 24 hrs makes it simple.