PDA

View Full Version : Is my 650 a lemon?

JagerDawg
03-27-2009, 11:19 PM
I took possession Jan 09. Battery was basically dead, and comfort access didn't work. Over the next month, it was in and out of shop while they tried to figure it out. They finally did, and to BMW's credit, they did pay one month's nut, but that was still pretty cheap IMHO, especially given they stuck me with a Toyota Corrolla for part of the time I was without my ride.

Today the crap hit the fan. On the way home, engine malfunction. I've had this car for 2 months, and the engine dies? Tow truck guy tells me he's picked up several 650's over the past year - known glitch with transmission, and that there was a recall over this.

I am usually very mellow, let bygones be bygones, especially because I love this ride when its working - but want to know if anyone else has had these problems. :mad

Mr. BMW
03-28-2009, 03:56 PM
No. No.

And for the tow truck guy, who in their right mind wants to listen to him. I get the point, but what the hell does he know about the car. His job is to pick'em up not diagnose the problem and share unfounded stories to the next customer...

The first issue is no big stuff and for you to take delivery of a car with a dead battery and a inop CA tells a great deal about the dealership and you.

The second issue, though it sound worse, is ambiguous at best from you. Why don't you share more about both situations and perhaps, we can better understand your frustrations...

JagerDawg
03-28-2009, 04:52 PM
No. No.

And for the tow truck guy, who in their right mind wants to listen to him. I get the point, but what the hell does he know about the car. His job is to pick'em up not diagnose the problem and share unfounded stories to the next customer...

The first issue is no big stuff and for you to take delivery of a car with a dead battery and a inop CA tells a great deal about the dealership and you.

The second issue, though it sound worse, is ambiguous at best from you. Why don't you share more about both situations and perhaps, we can better understand your frustrations...

First issue - car was bought via broker from dealership a couple hundred miles away. Delivered to me at my office, was told that the remotes batteries were dead, new ones were on the way via fed ex, but car ran fine. Batteries came - didn't fix problem. Dealer told me I had to drive around for a half hour so the keys could reprogram themselves. Did that, didn't work. Took it to dealership in town. They told me battery was almost dead. Charged me 500 for a new one, then over next 3 weeks tried various things to get the remotes and CA working. Original dealership reimbursed me the 500 for the battery, and BMW Financial cut me a check for the first month. Car was running great, and I do love it, so my negative feelings had pretty much passed until this happened.

I was stopped at the end of the freeway, waiting to make a left. Light turns green, I push down on gas pedal, and there is hardly any power. Push the pedal all the way down, and I am going about 20mph. Got over to where I could park it, and while doing so a message appears "Engine Malfunction - Power reduced." Tow truck guy told me he's seen this on three other 08 650's in the last few months. One lady had it happen twice. Scared the sheets out of me when I considered what might have happened if this malfunction occured while on the freeway in 70mph traffic.

I'm currently on hold with BMW Roadside assistance trying to figure out where my car is, because BMW SouthBay, where it was to be dropped off this morning, says they never got it.

Southbay BMW found my car, evaluated it, and told me that the problem is the Engine Harness. Per the service tech, the Engine Harness can sometimes shake loose such that one of the wires in it might detach or crimp. Of it just could have been a bad harness. New one supposed to arrive Tuesday.

Anyone seen this issue before? I'm most interested in knowing the likelihood this could happen again at any time, as I don't want the engine malfunctioning while I am at freeway speeds, and really don't want to be always worrying about it happening again.

BMW NA
03-31-2009, 09:43 AM
I took possession Jan 09. Battery was basically dead, and comfort access didn't work. Over the next month, it was in and out of shop while they tried to figure it out. They finally did, and to BMW's credit, they did pay one month's nut, but that was still pretty cheap IMHO, especially given they stuck me with a Toyota Corrolla for part of the time I was without my ride.

Today the crap hit the fan. On the way home, engine malfunction. I've had this car for 2 months, and the engine dies? Tow truck guy tells me he's picked up several 650's over the past year - known glitch with transmission, and that there was a recall over this.

I am usually very mellow, let bygones be bygones, especially because I love this ride when its working - but want to know if anyone else has had these problems. :mad

I am with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

hicks650i
03-31-2009, 02:05 PM
My parents are having big issues with their new X5 as well.

First they were complaining of road noise. This is not just being picky, they have been driving various MB's, range rovers, etc so they know what's acceptable. When they took it in I'm sure they didn't even try to address the real problem. They say they balanced the tires and I think they also said they performed an alignment but it didn't make a difference. The day after, the X5 had an engine malfunction and we took it to another dealer to have a new wiring harness installed which fixed the problem. Another week lost. I thought maybe the road noise would be the fault of the tires, so I put on 4 new Michelins (Those dunlops were garbage IMO) and I have the feeling it is an alignment issue because it sounds like a jetliner above 60mph.

BMW Dallas didn't even attempt to fix the problem, I bet they didn't even balance the tires because when I had the new tires put on they informed me that they weren't balanced formerly. This was at a shop in Indianapolis that seemed to be a great place. Too bad I don't live there instead. I noticed that the right rear tire that came off was worn abnormally, inside was worn right down to the wire and outside wasn't very worn at all. Maybe this is more than just an alignment issue and BMW doesn't want to address it.

Mr. BMW
04-04-2009, 04:57 PM
I have heard of your harness issue before. Once fixed, I have not heard this issue arising again.

euroshark
04-04-2009, 05:15 PM
I have the feeling it is an alignment issue because it sounds like a jetliner above 60mph.

It's purely a result of the tires and the ground. Depending on the tires and the surface of your highways you might get a hell of a lot of noise, but I guarantee you this is not an alignment problem... if it were the car would be undrivable. You can keep chasing this mystery problem but the reality is that the new tires you put on are just noisy like the tires that came off of it, and I think your parents may have just been really spoiled by their previous vehicles which were geared more toward comfort and isolation from the world.

hicks650i
04-04-2009, 08:20 PM
You are correct in some points, but they have also driven cars that are 100% geared towards performance and even so they don't compare to the noise. I know there is an issue, because I have friends that also have an X5, it's a 3.0 but they bought similar rims (also 20 inches, 315 wide) and are even running the same tires and it's noticeably quieter.

e30hijinks
04-22-2009, 06:42 PM
To BMW's credit, I'm on my 5th BMW. They've all been absolutely bulletproof. And I beat on them like you wouldnt believe. I hope your issue is resolved (and I know it will be) and being without your car for a month would suck--I agree. Just hang in there and be glad you're under warranty. I think you just had bad luck. I've never heard of any of these issues before. And that road noise thing... I don't buy it one bit. These are BMWs, not Cadillacs. There's a trade-off when it comes to sport vs. luxury. A small tradeoff. I mean what are you trying to say? BMW forgot to coat the undercarriage with insulation? Or forgot to install sound-deadening? I suppose you could go under and look :rolleyes :embarrasm

hicks650i
04-22-2009, 09:17 PM
For your info, a wheel bearing went and it was replaced a few days ago. I haven't heard from my mom since to hear if that's solved all the issues. I ruled that out because I've never heard of a wheel bearing going in less than 30k miles.

"I don't buy it one bit" he says.... did you read the whole thread? I've been in more than one X5 and I've had ranges and cadillacs too, I know how a damn car should ride I'm not an idiot.

Odd though, I've never had to replace a wheel bearing in my life I don't think. I don't think I've had a vehicle over 100k though.

robmpulse
04-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Wheel bearing can go in 3000 miles. Did you check the rim to see if it had any curb rash on it? Not saying that's what happened, but it's very possible.

Wheel bearing go bad for other things than just wear....

And to the one that made a comment about the engine malfunction occurring on the highway while driving 70 (not sure if same guy)

nothing would have happened. It never hurts to read your owners manual. It will explain exactly what happens when you see this error message.

That error can occur for something as simple as a sensor. So don't get your panties in a bunch.

Your biggest problem is that you bought your car from someone that is not a dealer. Lord knows where it came from. It could have come from an auction and had a previous owner that was not very kind to it. Who knows.

You are really bitching that the dealer you did not give your money to put you in a rental and not a bmw? Lol had you of purchased the car from that dealer, then you would have likely gotten a loaner car which would have at least been a 3 series. Maybe you should ask your broker to put you in a bmw, since they are the ones that took your money.

Bottom line is... It's frustrating. But hang in there. It will get fixed.

Oh, to answer your question. No... It's not a lemon...lol