PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you guys use an Automatic?

RascalKing
02-28-2009, 11:17 AM
I know in the muscle car world/drag racing in general, the automatic transmissions are preferred as they shift faster. But I also understand that they don't hold as much power as well as manuals, and tend to break alot faster due to weak torque converters. Also, they rob you of some power to the wheels correct?
So I was thinking and figured I'd ask if any of the BF.c guys used automatics in their BMW's for drag racing. What kind of transmission build ups needed to be done?
This is slowly becoming (Even though it's pretty un active) the coolest part of the forum to read around on. :buttrock

--JJ

zemaestro
02-28-2009, 01:45 PM
sure do.... Ford C4

got psi
03-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Not done yet but using a GM 400 turbo. Full out racecar. ///J.T.///

OLD MAN
03-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Long time fact - autos are better for drag racing - they do shift faster as in ZERO power stop between gears to the rear wheels, so they are also way smoother. A well built auto will handle more horse power then a stock BMW tranny. Not sure if a BMW auto can take it though. Tranns adapter?

RascalKing
03-01-2009, 12:48 PM
I've just never seen a built/strong auto stock BMW transmission and didn't know the possibilities. I've seen a few companies making high stall torque converters for BMW 4 speeds too.

I've got the day off today, and have been reading up on the ZF auto's being really strong solid 5 speeds. One of these with a high stall torque converter could possibly be a good setup-no?

almostM
03-23-2009, 04:26 PM
I will be taking my stock 328is auto to the strip this weekend, Ill let you know.

Tony Soprano
04-09-2009, 07:01 PM
I've just never seen a built/strong auto stock BMW transmission and didn't know the possibilities. I've seen a few companies making high stall torque converters for BMW 4 speeds too.

I've got the day off today, and have been reading up on the ZF auto's being really strong solid 5 speeds. One of these with a high stall torque converter could possibly be a good setup-no?
the ZF auto in the m3/a's are decently strong. DINAN pushed 6-7psi of boost through them back in the day and had no problems.

MrBlonde
04-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Long time fact - autos are better for drag racing - they do shift faster as in ZERO power stop between gears to the rear wheels, so they are also way smoother. A well built auto will handle more horse power then a stock BMW tranny. Not sure if a BMW auto can take it though. Tranns adapter?

I don't agree. Bleeders are certainly more consistent, which is another way of saying boring as far as I am concerned.

Watch Pro Stock racing next time and tell me that's less fun than popping your transbrake and making five 1/2" corrections on a steering wheel while watching it all unfold in your loungechair.

blackbenzz
04-10-2009, 12:17 PM
I don't agree. Bleeders are certainly more consistent, which is another way of saying boring as far as I am concerned.

Watch Pro Stock racing next time and tell me that's less fun than popping your transbrake and making five 1/2" corrections on a steering wheel while watching it all unfold in your loungechair.
:lol I know you love manual cars but if the goal is to get to the 1/4 mile marker first an auto will be more consistent and quicker (given that everything else is the same). That being said a manual car obviously requires more skill and driver involvement to get the car down the track!