PDA

View Full Version : 645 Convertible - SMG or Auto

imnes
02-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Need some advice. I'm looking to buy a 645 convertible (most likely a 2004). Some I've looked at have the SMG and some have the standard automatic transmission. Any reason to not get the SMG? Are they more troublesome or have issues I should look out for? I have driven both and think the SMG is neat but can't say I really prefer one over the other.

Nick

ACS745
02-12-2009, 12:09 AM
I just traded my 02 745i in for an 04 645ci convertible. I got the smg and can't stop driving it, Way better than the auto trans. The transmission shift smooth when it on auto shift. Just make sure you buy warranty. good luck.

whitedesigns
02-12-2009, 09:23 AM
I have a 2005 645ci convertible with the SMG transmission. I personally haven't driven an automatic, so I can't give you a comparison. Generally I drive the SMG like a standard shift, which allows me to shift more smoothly and when I want to shift. When putting the SMG into "automatic mode" it definitely does not shift like an automatic. Also it will roll even when in drive mode at a stop, because the car shifts into neutral by itself. Bottom line is - if you want to have the smoothest shifting experience, probably go with the auto. However, it gives me pause to think of a car this fun to drive saddled with an automatic transmission.:D

iM6xy
02-26-2009, 11:49 PM
I have SMG and it is a real hoot! I think for a 2 door sporty car, it deserves SMG.

Bradysdad
03-01-2009, 10:53 AM
I just purchased an 04 645 Vert with SMG. My M3 has SMG. It is not for everyone due to some lack of understanding on what SMG actually is and how it works. (still a manual tranny, shifts like a manual tranny, just does it by itself in AUTO mode).

I agree with the previous poster, if you want smooth, get the auto. If you want FUN, get the SMG.

I also purchased the extended warranty through Compass (was told they do the BMW certification coverage) which covers all for 3 years and 50K miles from date of purchase. Even though I only have 20K miles, too many CPUs and software updates to not spend the money on a warranty.

Good luck !!!

Mr. BMW
03-03-2009, 11:56 PM
SMG is the way to go but like someone said, if you want smooth like butta shifting buy an automatic.

AufDeutschBitte
03-04-2009, 11:28 PM
If its a question, get the auto. If you like sport driving a little, go SMG.