PDA

View Full Version : Preparing a basic drag bmw

P3Powered
02-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Im currently building a turbocharged E36 for quartemile runs.

Motor is prep with

M50B25 stroked to M52B28
Custom tuned length turbo manifold
Custom intake plenum
2X Walbro 255L/ph Fuel pumps
External fuel tank
M50 cams, retainers,valves and valve springs
M50 ported head
VAC coated race main and rod bearings
ARP headstuds
WISECO 8:5:1 comp pistons
Pauter Rods
with other basic turbo parts, Tial wastegate,intercooler,mocal oil cooler and etc.

Few parts im still deciding to put together before its done.

Im still deciding on which turbo a/r should i purchase. Im looking at Garrett GT4294R with either 1.15a/r or the 1.28a/r.

Engine management, should i go with the AEM plug n play or the Haltech E11V2.

Will i need other parts such as external oil pumps, strenghtened longshafts and etc?
Am i missing any more major part requirements to achieve 11s on a quartermile run?

Feedback is much appreciated.

XR000mb
02-04-2009, 11:53 AM
pics of manifold and plenum?

P3Powered
02-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Will be running on 83lb/hr accell injectors and .098 VAC MLS.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f122/kevinyong/Image1644z.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f122/kevinyong/Image1644z.jpg

Previously intended to run a GT35R but will be discarding it and replacing with a new turbo manifold and a new turbo.

We had some problems running the pipes for the turbo manifold because its a RHD.

LukeG
02-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Why that thickness gasket? You have the lower comp. pistons, i would recommend going with stock thickness, or .080" depensing on how much material has been taken off the cylinder head/block

otherwise, what you have listed is plety to run 11sec 1/4

P3Powered
02-04-2009, 12:21 PM
I was deciding on the .080 but i think its safer with the .098 @ 2bar+ boost.

Will I need an external oil pump? Differential?

Its pretty costly for the diff especially the Quaife diffs. Will be subsituting it with better drag Hoosier or Mickeys tires instead.

I would love to run high 10s as well..

RRSperry
02-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Tub the thing and run a Ford 9".. You have ruined the car already, what's a little more....lol

MikeE36
02-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Tub the thing and run a Ford 9".. You have ruined the car already, what's a little more....lol

:confused

OP: Looks like you've got plenty of go-fast hardware for an 11 or 10 second pass. Actually running one is another story..

got psi
02-04-2009, 03:00 PM
For a 10 or 11 second car I think your turbo choice is a little big. Especially if you intend to drive it normal. That turbo will have some huge lag.Heck I intend to go low 7's or dreaming 6.90's with a GT4276. ///J.T.///

MrBlonde
02-04-2009, 04:51 PM
To run an 11.999 a GT35R is more than man enough. GT42R is too big for 2.8 litres without spray and will offer less performance than a GT30R with your setup.

A tuned length manifold should not be top of your list given many other areas to explore first.

You have made no mention of suspension or driveline mods. What tranny? What diff setup?

5mall5nail5
02-04-2009, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't say a 4294R is too big for a 2.8L, but I would say its too big for what he wants to do

P3Powered
02-04-2009, 10:02 PM
There are many parts im still deciding. I was told by my tuner to run alcohol.

That offcourse my injectors and fuel system have to go.

Car is running with a set of PSS9. Stock 5 speed tranny with Clutchmaster clutch. Stock diff. Nothing fancy.

Shoud i have the diff replace?

MrBlonde
02-05-2009, 03:12 AM
I wouldn't say a 4294R is too big for a 2.8L, but I would say its too big for what he wants to do

Really? I would have thought it was a no brainer that a GT42R was too larger for a 2.8 litre .. can you expand a bit?

What is the redline for a 2.8 litre BMW engine and at what RPM would a GT42R spool? I would have thought the usable powerband would be ~ 1000 RPM which to me is not acceptable.

Of course a big hit of nitrous can cure some ills in a drag racing context but if you're going to go to that trouble you'd start with soemthing bigger than 2.8 litres.

Always happy to learn something new or another viewpoint.

There are many parts im still deciding. I was told by my tuner to run alcohol.

That offcourse my injectors and fuel system have to go.

Car is running with a set of PSS9. Stock 5 speed tranny with Clutchmaster clutch. Stock diff. Nothing fancy.

Shoud i have the diff replace?

OK if you are considering methanol then this is a decicated drag racecar and not a streeter. That changes things quite a bit!

Methanol has lots of advantages over petrol as a fuel and is a great idea for a racecar. It requires a lot more maintenance and a totally different fuel setup and tuning regime.

If you are running methanol you can maybe do without an intercooler for a drag car. The alcohol runs much cooler. The fuel side will have to be about double the equivalent petrol side.

Regarding suspension setup, do you want to retain a unibody or can you go half chassis or even three quarter chassis?

If this is a consideration then DO IT. Backhalving the car and setting it up with a Ford 9" and 4 link will provide such a massive advantage that no street car can ever overcome. Huge bang for buck there in lowering short time and ET.

In terms of tranny your OEM 5 speed is not going to live behind a maxxed out GT42R which can make over 1200 hp. Forget OEM half shafts and diffs at this power level, they will break every trip.

The cheap and easy way out is to go a built TH400 or the like. Or you can retain your manhood and go a manual race gearbox (Jericho, G Force, Liberty, Lenco, etc).

So you'd need a slipper clutch. I recommend you fabricate a removable floorpan over the tunnel so you can work the clutch easily at the strip between passes.

I am not sure what size tubs you can gfit under an E36 coupe rear glass line, perhaps JT can comment. I am pretty sure you couldn't fit 33"x17" without a full chassis .. in fact you might not have the track anyway. JT?

card counter
02-05-2009, 04:05 AM
you can retain your manhood and go a manual race gearbox (Jericho, G Force, Liberty, Lenco, etc).

:buttrock

P3Powered
02-05-2009, 12:01 PM
would love to retain my manhood and go with a race tranny but my wallet doesnt permits me.

thats why im planning only a basic drag bmw.

anyway thanks for the informative write up blonde.

MrBlonde
02-05-2009, 07:55 PM
would love to retain my manhood and go with a race tranny but my wallet doesnt permits me.

thats why im planning only a basic drag bmw.

anyway thanks for the informative write up blonde.
On budget .. forget methanol.

SiGmA
02-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Im with Mr Blonde here, you need to find a smaller turbo, a 42 is freaking huge and I don't think your curve will be very useful. Then again doesn't bmwsob run a 42 and do 9s? Might be a 40.

Anyways with that much power you are going to sh!t ds, diffs, and axles left and right.

BadBoostedBmwM3
02-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Im with Mr Blonde here, you need to find a smaller turbo, a 42 is freaking huge and I don't think your curve will be very useful. Then again doesn't bmwsob run a 42 and do 9s? Might be a 40.

Anyways with that much power you are going to sh!t ds, diffs, and axles left and right.

42 it is!!

5mall5nail5
02-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Really? I would have thought it was a no brainer that a GT42R was too larger for a 2.8 litre .. can you expand a bit?

What is the redline for a 2.8 litre BMW engine and at what RPM would a GT42R spool? I would have thought the usable powerband would be ~ 1000 RPM which to me is not acceptable.

Of course a big hit of nitrous can cure some ills in a drag racing context but if you're going to go to that trouble you'd start with soemthing bigger than 2.8 litres.

Always happy to learn something new or another viewpoint.

Blonde - the PT76GTS I am running is larger than the GT4202R and I have just about 300 kPA by 4700 RPM with only about 60% throttle in 4th gear - here is a datalog shot you can see how fast it builds and can see TPS as well

http://new-sweden.com/525/Tuning/28psi2.jpg

This is on "2.9L" that I have in my car, non vanos, M50 block bored over w/ M52 crank, 8.5:1 CR and no nitrous for this pull. You can see that the line to my map sensor shot off @ 30 psi :rofl

P3Powered
02-10-2009, 03:48 AM
Im retaining my stock transmission atm. Im looking at a least 500whp before i move on to a full prep drag setup. Most prob will be looking at a GT4094R 1.06 A/R and will be running with a Haltech E11V2.

Basically my motor is done building. I have a budget of an extra $8k allocation and I still need to sort out my diff, oil and fuel system.

Is it worth investing on a Quaife diff?
Do i need an external oil pump and do i need an upgrade on my stock fuel rail?

Whats the rated abuse on a stock M50 transmission?

Oleg Coupe
02-10-2009, 05:16 AM
GT4202R 1.01AR on 2.8 L hits above 1 bar of boost at:
5000rpm 1st gear
4500rpm 3rd gear.

4094R with .85 or .95 is MUCH more responsive. We have 1 bar on 2.2l honda at 4500 with this turbo. 2.8 with right manifold spool it below 4k for sure.

Whats the rated abuse on a stock M50 transmission?

With 500hp I broke 3 trans in a year. Then put 6spd on.

BMWSOB
02-10-2009, 10:54 AM
The 4202 on my car is definatly excessive. I still would like to build a nice twin scroll manifold with dual wastegates. It took a while to get used to and it takes a little finess on the street to get it to make boost. Above 4k rpm its pretty responsive. I have readline at just over 8k so it is definatly usable, esspecially with the 2.79 rear. I still definatly need a lot more tire to be able to efficiently drive it above 20psi on the street.

That being said, I still haven't swapped the turbo out... and I don't intend to. It has crossed my mind more than once. I would like to bring the power level up though to 4202 nessacary level though.

Donovan

P3Powered
02-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Still in dilemma runnning full alcohol.
Any good recommendations on alcohol system eg. pump,injectors, tank and other preparations?

im not worried having lag with a GT4294R. I can make it through using launch control and a set or drag tires. But most prob will settle down with a GT4094R.

What about oil pump? Whats the abuse on stock oil pump?

For the transmission, anyone in the US able make custom cut gears?

zemaestro
02-14-2009, 05:49 PM
domestic automatic transmission....

MrBlonde
02-16-2009, 01:50 AM
domestic automatic transmission....
What automatic transmissions do they make in KL?

zemaestro
02-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Silly Kenny, trix are for kidz......Domestic....meaning (to me) an american made transmission, you know, the most efficient way to go fast. Didn't you know all U.S. citizens think the world revolves around them?

MrBlonde
02-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Silly Kenny, trix are for kidz......Domestic....meaning (to me) an american made transmission, you know, the most efficient way to go fast. Didn't you know all U.S. citizens think the world revolves around them?

Well yes I did, glad you got the point! :-)

P3Powered
03-03-2009, 01:11 AM
Guys,
Its fortunate to have all the resources over there in the states and other western countries unlike here in the asian countries.

I dont think building a 1000hp or a jet engined bmw is a problem if i have all the resources like you guys. I wont be opening up a tread for nothing. I bet few have failed and succeed to know the right and wrongs on a proper built motor.

So guys, i might sound noob asking questions but i just hope i might get reasonable answers to my questions. Why opening a thread when i dont need help?

Sorry if im flamming, i just wish to build a proper motor with the goal i wanna achieve.

I will be running primary fuel injectors and a secondary for meth.

What transmission and diffs to use to put 500-600whp on the ground?

I just got myself a 6 speed. Would a 6 speeder hold?

MrBlonde
03-03-2009, 04:34 AM
Guys,
Its fortunate to have all the resources over there in the states and other western countries unlike here in the asian countries.

I dont think building a 1000hp or a jet engined bmw is a problem if i have all the resources like you guys. I wont be opening up a tread for nothing. I bet few have failed and succeed to know the right and wrongs on a proper built motor.

So guys, i might sound noob asking questions but i just hope i might get reasonable answers to my questions. Why opening a thread when i dont need help?

Sorry if im flamming, i just wish to build a proper motor with the goal i wanna achieve.

I will be running primary fuel injectors and a secondary for meth.

What transmission and diffs to use to put 500-600whp on the ground?

I just got myself a 6 speed. Would a 6 speeder hold?
It's your budget that's the issue