PDA

View Full Version : tire losing pressure

whitedesigns
01-20-2009, 10:21 PM
My 2005 645ic has a driver's side rear tire that's losing pressure. Haven't looked to see if it has a nail or what is going on. Are there any secrets (since the owner's manual is silent on this) to removing a wheel? I would assume it is simply jack the car, removing the wheel center cover and removing lug nuts, right? Also, can the run flat tires be repaired if they have a nail or other leak? Can any reputable tire store work on these?Thanks!

hicks650i
01-21-2009, 12:06 AM
You can't patch runflats, and there is no secret to taking off the rim.

Maybe you are losing pressure at the valve stem. This is the most common. Or possibly, the pressure is low when the temperature is low and once your tires warm up they are back to normal. This is common as well.

whitedesigns
01-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the info!

Mr. BMW
01-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Are there any secrets (since the owner's manual is silent on this) to removing a wheel?

Do you mean the tire removed from the rim or the entire tire/rim of the hub?

I would assume it is simply jack the car, removing the wheel center cover and removing lug nuts, right?

Yes.

Also, can the run flat tires be repaired if they have a nail or other leak?

Repair Only by authorize RFT repair shops or you will pay!! Oh, and only if the sidewalls are not damaged.

Can any reputable tire store work on these?Thanks!

Yes.

whitedesigns
01-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Removed wheel, no thanks to BMW, as (i guess) they assume that a 6 owner wouldn't want a tire tool or a jack.

Got tire patched and straightened (as every BMW I've ever owned has bent wheels). $40 bucks.

BMW of Asheville recommends replacing any run flat tire that loses pressure. They will not repair.

I guess us 6 owners are all rich, right?

Thanks to everyone for the help. I love the car despite the sillyness of stuff like this.

Mr. BMW
01-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Removed wheel, no thanks to BMW, as (i guess) they assume that a 6 owner wouldn't want a tire tool or a jack.

BMW decided when their cars equipped with RFT will no longer include the standard jack that comes with the 3er, 7er and some 5ers. This has been the case since '04-'05.

(as every BMW I've ever owned has bent wheels).

Ouch!

BMW of Asheville recommends replacing any run flat tire that loses pressure. They will not repair.

Times are hard and they will not be held liable for a repaired RFT. So, with dealers losing money in sales and service, I am not surprised. You should see how much they are charging me for a wheel replacement on my 7er. Could I go get is fixed somewhere else, yes but I do not have the time, so I pay the silly price to replace it.

I guess us 6 owners are all rich, right?

nope. They assume you are the above average buyer who knows or is informed about the purchase and if you should require service, "SOS" is just s button push away. I used my jack from my 7er.

whitedesigns
01-23-2009, 08:33 AM
nope. They assume you are the above average buyer who knows or is informed about the purchase and if you should require service, "SOS" is just s button push away. I used my jack from my 7er.

Maybe I'm an "above average buyer" because I like quality products? In fact, I've always preferred to "do without" than buy something I didn't LOVE, whether it's a TV, car or a power tool. As for being "informed about the purchase" I guess that means I should research and know that a car this "awesome" shouldn't have a tire jack or lug wrench. As far as I'm concerned, every car should have these basic tools.

A few years ago I purchased a BMW R1200c motorcycle without ever riding one. It was named transporation design of the decade by the IDSA (industrial designer's society of america). Quite simply, I liked the way it looked and bought it. Didn't know the horsepower, performance, etc. - and didn't care.

I bought the 645ic because I thought it was the best looking BMW available - didn't know or care about performance, features, etc. Maybe that makes me odd or foolish or both! I don't have the time or energy to study torque, tire sizes, engine displacement, skid pad tests, etc.

That being said, I appreciate the fact that lots of people see the car as a hobby or interest and want to dig in and discover as much as they can.

hicks650i
01-26-2009, 01:09 PM
I hear ya. Frustrating. I've been burning through a lot of tires lately and they are definitely not cheap.

I was always under the impression that run-flats can't be patched? I didn't realize it was just a matter of liability for the dealer.

bigugly
02-04-2009, 10:12 PM
check the rims, the inside edge might be cracked. you can tell this is a old style rim if you can put a clip weight on the inside lip. very common on early production rims. the replacement rims you cannot put a clip weight on the edge. they are stronger.

Mr. BMW
02-05-2009, 07:04 AM
Maybe I'm an "above average buyer" because I like quality products? In fact, I've always preferred to "do without" than buy something I didn't LOVE, whether it's a TV, car or a power tool. As for being "informed about the purchase" I guess that means I should research and know that a car this "awesome" shouldn't have a tire jack or lug wrench. As far as I'm concerned, every car should have these basic tools.

A few years ago I purchased a BMW R1200c motorcycle without ever riding one. It was named transporation design of the decade by the IDSA (industrial designer's society of america). Quite simply, I liked the way it looked and bought it. Didn't know the horsepower, performance, etc. - and didn't care.

I bought the 645ic because I thought it was the best looking BMW available - didn't know or care about performance, features, etc. Maybe that makes me odd or foolish or both! I don't have the time or energy to study torque, tire sizes, engine displacement, skid pad tests, etc.

That being said, I appreciate the fact that lots of people see the car as a hobby or interest and want to dig in and discover as much as they can.

I hear ya. I did the same with all of my BMWs. It was strange not to have a jack and lug wrench. It was a decision BMW made when they went in the direction of RFT.

scottamiller
01-14-2010, 08:41 PM
To All: I am an attorney in California that is currently investigating the BMW Run Flat Tires and CRACKED RIMS for a potential class action. If you or someone you know has a 2006 650i or other model that uses Run Flat Tires and has experienced cracked rims, please call my office at (800) 417-2008. Law Offices of Scott A. Miller, A Professional Corporation. I may also be reached by email at: scott.miller@smillerlawoffices.com - Currently, we are only seeking California Residents for this potential lawsuit. I am a 650i owner and am outraged when BMW refused to take any responsibility. It was basically, you should have bought the tire/wheel warranty.

bigugly
01-15-2010, 11:21 PM
:rolleyes hey look! another pond sucker!

racowboy
02-28-2011, 07:23 PM
They can be patched. Way cheaper, works beautifully, you just have to find the right shop to do it.