PDA

View Full Version : BMW 645--Starting Issues

bmw645
01-20-2009, 04:07 PM
In brief, sometimes my car has a hard time starting. Every now and again, (usually 2-4 times a month) when I try to start my car, it doesn't start at all. Initially you can hear a (singular) thud noise as you would hear when starting the car, however nothing cranks up or starts. The dashboard, navigation, radio, cd and even the Bluetooth are working just fine during that time, while car doesn't start. It can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 hr for it to start again. My car is with the dealership currently and they're not able to diagnose what the problem is. Have you come across situation as such? Please advise. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

bimmerboy328i
01-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Any fault codes stored?

bmw645
01-21-2009, 09:10 AM
The dealership's saying when they do the diagnostic test they don't see any faults light up. It's really weird and I really need to get it fixed. There’s gotta be something wrong or maybe loose wires or something. I just don't know when's the next time my car won't start. I tried starting the car with the duplicate key but it’s the same problem. It's very frustrating! Please advice.

Thanks

Mr. BMW
01-21-2009, 07:51 PM
The dealership's saying when they do the diagnostic test they don't see any faults light up. It's really weird and I really need to get it fixed. There’s gotta be something wrong or maybe loose wires or something. I just don't know when's the next time my car won't start. I tried starting the car with the duplicate key but it’s the same problem. It's very frustrating! Please advice.

Thanks

Are you push button or turn-key ignition?

bmw645
01-22-2009, 10:43 AM
I have the turn-key ignition. I've been pressing on the brakes and everything but its still the same problem.

Mr. BMW
01-22-2009, 11:52 PM
I think your issue is your keys. Asked the dealer to check/reset the keys to your cars computer; it seems they are out of sync. If your car truely has no mechanical issue: Faulty ignition coils, starter, battery or spark plugs, the key is a clear winner.

bmw645
01-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all your input. I'll check with the dealership and see if they can work on the keys.

bigugly
02-04-2009, 10:13 PM
bring both keys. if you only have one, buy another to test the old one.

Interiorman
02-27-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm curious, were the keys the cause of the starting problem or was it something else?

hainguyen281
09-15-2009, 02:32 PM
I am having the exact same problem!!! I thought I am the only one. It would happen to me about once a week. Did the OP ever get it fixed? Should I bring it to the dealer? My car is out of warranty, how much are they going to charge just for looking at it?

650i
10-04-2009, 11:07 PM
I had these random problems with my 06' 650I. It would randomly not start. While it was running fine I took it in and had the battery tested...they said that the battery tested moderate but that it would be good for a while......I then tried to start my car to leave the service station and it wouldn't start.....they tested the battery again and it was low.

I bought a new battery and have not had any problems. The dealership said that if the battery is borderline or not at it propper level it will not make any attempt to start the car......which seemed very odd to me (good thing I don't drive it in our cold WI winters or it would never "attempt:" to start.)

Hope this helps....

blammo
07-24-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks for all your input. I'll check with the dealership and see if they can work on the keys.

I have the same issue with my 2004 645i, could you tell me what steps eventually fixed your car?

Danny645Ci
08-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Hi all,

Same problem. Can someone please say what fixed the problem? Was it the battery? My car is an 05 with original battery. Doesn't start but then after 5 mins or so will start.

Thanks.

bigugly
08-22-2011, 03:06 PM
ivm

my645
01-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Happy New Year Everyone and can someone please help me with some guidance with my bmw 645 the body shop got my ecu wet and i bought another one and the dealer programmed it but it isn't starting when i attempt to start the car.

Wassup do you know what's the problem with the issue i am having with my bmw 645

GrandTourer
08-13-2012, 12:59 AM
Did anyone ever figure out what was going with the starting issues? My car has been doing this for over a year and no Autohaus can figure it out. I rarely drive it now because of this issue, you just never know if your car is not going start after you turn it off...

Help Please!!!!

bigugly
08-13-2012, 09:52 AM
Did you put an IVM in it?

tyronn
08-13-2012, 09:13 PM
My dream car !