PDA

View Full Version : 645 Convertible Satellite SDARS issue

jtheron
12-27-2008, 05:59 PM
I recently brought my 645 convertible into the dealership because of intermittent and degrading satellite signal in open areas.

After testing, it was determined that the SDARS were not working correctly. The parts are covered under warranty and under a BMW Service Bulletin ( SIB 65-07-07). The SIB instructs the dealer to replace the faulty SDARS.

The SDARS run 326.00 for one, 192.00 for the other.

Instead of replacing the SDARS, the dealership tried to retrofit an E53 external satellite antenna ( $39.00 part ) into the trunk. Without my knowledge.

In doing so, they damaged the wiring harness and told me that they were going to have to repair it.

When I went to pick up the vehicle, the satellite didnt work and neither did the radio, or the bluetooth phone system ( didnt test everything else, as I didnt leave the dealership with the car )

Does this sound like a warranty scam by the dealership? Do a retrofit repair with cheap parts, bill back on the warranty for the much more expensive actual parts?

Or just a very poor decision on their part in not ordering the correct parts under warranty and trying this retrofit gimmick (that failed miserably ).

Somehow, as part of this 'repair' they also had to do an adjustment to the active steering. I have no idea why this would be necessary. Except for the 100 miles they put on the car while they had it in service...

Any insight or advice?

hicks650i
12-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Sounds like you had a hell of a time, I just had a nightmare at the dealer as well with my mothers X5. Hard to find competent service nowadays. Sad really. Good luck dude, I would call BMWNA if I were you.

Mr. BMW
12-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Any insight or advice?

This is what should have happened. Replacement only no repairs. Share with BMWNA your experience.

From my buddy cobradav. "SI B 65 07 07
Sound System, Cruise, Alarms, Monitors April 2007
Technical Service

SUBJECT
SDARS SIRIUS Radio is Intermittently Inoperative

MODEL
E90, E91 *(3 Series)

E92, E93 *(3 Series Coupe/Convertible)

E60, E61 *(5 Series)

E63, E64 *(6 Series)

*Only with option 655 (SDARS Satellite Radio)

SITUATION
When the SIRIUS Satellite radio is intermittently inoperative, the following can occur:

The SIRIUS radio preset list is empty

"Call SIRIUS" is displayed to subscribe

CAUSE
Incorrect hardware and software in the SDARS Satellite module, GEN2.5 (Generation 2.5)

CORRECTION
Try to reproduce the complaint, when possible with the customer.

If it can be reproduced, immediately call SIRIUS to verify that the subscription is not deleted or outdated.

When the subscription is verified and the module can be recognized by SIRIUS, remove the SDARS module and check the part number on the module.

When P/N 65 12 6 987 545 is installed, create a PuMA Case for parts replacement authorization and include the following information:

Part number of the SDARS module

Hardware number

Software number

ESN number

Install an improved SDARS module and program the vehicle with Progman V25.01 or higher per SI B09 05 01 (Coding, Individualization, Programming), Procedure A.

Important: Complete vehicle encoding has to be done as outlined in the procedure!

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number.............. Description..................... Quantity

65 20 9 142 850... SDARS Satellite module GEN2.5...1

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code Refer to KSD

Labor Operation: Refer to KSD

Labor Allowance: Refer to KSD

Released 6 May on Centernet - First reported on 22 May 07 E90/91/92/ 93 Progman 25.02.00 = (Target data Status E89x-07-03-525).

3/7/2007 (posted on TIS ~ 22 April) E90/91/92/ 93 Progman 25.01.00 = (Target data Status E89x-07-03-520)."

jtheron
12-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Thats the exact SID they referenced in the repair order, yet they instead tried to retrofit an E53 in the trunk lid, and damaged wiring in doing so. Its turned into a total cluster. Thanks for the info.

Is there any reason a retrofit antenna install would require an adjustment to the active steering? That was in the same paragraph. Weird.

jtheron
12-29-2008, 03:24 PM
I went back to the dealership for an explanation on why the SDARS were not replaced, and instead a E53 antenna was retrofitted ( damaging the wiring, which I am now told will take an additional week to come in )

The service manager said that he 'believed' the SDARS were replaced, even though the service documentation says they just retrofitted an external antenna.

Why would the service documentation fail to mention 600.00 in parts being replaced under warranty, and if they were replaced, why would an E53 antenna be necessary? ( the documentation says that when tested with known good SDARS, signal was good ).

Mr. BMW
12-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Something doesn't smell right. Did you contact BMWNA? What did they say?

BMW NA
12-31-2008, 02:04 PM
I recently brought my 645 convertible into the dealership because of intermittent and degrading satellite signal in open areas.

After testing, it was determined that the SDARS were not working correctly. The parts are covered under warranty and under a BMW Service Bulletin ( SIB 65-07-07). The SIB instructs the dealer to replace the faulty SDARS.

The SDARS run 326.00 for one, 192.00 for the other.

Instead of replacing the SDARS, the dealership tried to retrofit an E53 external satellite antenna ( $39.00 part ) into the trunk. Without my knowledge.

In doing so, they damaged the wiring harness and told me that they were going to have to repair it.

When I went to pick up the vehicle, the satellite didnt work and neither did the radio, or the bluetooth phone system ( didnt test everything else, as I didnt leave the dealership with the car )

Does this sound like a warranty scam by the dealership? Do a retrofit repair with cheap parts, bill back on the warranty for the much more expensive actual parts?

Or just a very poor decision on their part in not ordering the correct parts under warranty and trying this retrofit gimmick (that failed miserably ).

Somehow, as part of this 'repair' they also had to do an adjustment to the active steering. I have no idea why this would be necessary. Except for the 100 miles they put on the car while they had it in service...

Any insight or advice?

I am with BMW of North America, LLC. I am very sorry to read about this issue with your 645Ci. If you would like our assistance, please give us a call at (800) 831-1117 or email us at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com, and mention Reference #200836502044 so that we can discuss your concerns.

Mr. BMW
12-31-2008, 03:20 PM
I am with BMW of North America, LLC. I am very sorry to read about this issue with your 645Ci. If you would like our assistance, please give us a call at (800) 831-1117 or email us at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com, and mention Reference #200836502044 so that we can discuss your concerns.

Thank you very much!

hicks650i
12-31-2008, 11:39 PM
Wow, that's handy isn't it? Hey BMW NA, I need a loaner car for when I take my car in, can you make sure there's an M6 Loaner at Classic BMW tomorrow? Thanks.

Just kidding by the way, in case it wasn't obvious enough.

Mr. BMW
01-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Wow, that's handy isn't it? Hey BMW NA, I need a loaner car for when I take my car in, can you make sure there's an M6 Loaner at Classic BMW tomorrow? Thanks.

Just kidding by the way, in case it wasn't obvious enough.

You have to talk to your dealer as the loaner policy is not mandated by BMWNA, it is a courtesy from your dealer to you as a thank you for your business. Classic BMW? who's your SA?

hicks650i
01-01-2009, 09:08 PM
I know this, I was just poking fun at the fact that BMWNA is around the forums.

I actually just left BMW of Dallas, and I'm not sure which place to go to. My only other option for Dallas would be Classic BMW, or I would have to go to either Fort Worth (Autobahn) or Oklahoma City (Jackie Cooper) or maybe Moritz in Arlington.

I haven't been able to talk to my insurance company yet, hoping to do so tomorrow and get this ball rolling. I need to be back in Toronto for the 8th at the latest.

Mr. BMW
01-01-2009, 10:03 PM
I need to be back in Toronto for the 8th at the latest.

You moving there?

hicks650i
01-01-2009, 10:34 PM
I was born there. Not in Toronto, but just south of London Ontario. I work in both Canada and the US, but I prefer to spend my time there because it's a much nicer place to live IMO. I have a house there and a house on my parents ranch here.

I buy everything here though. A 650 in Canada can run you over 150k.

Fast88fiero
01-01-2009, 11:15 PM
If they had to do any programming (SDARS Replaced) they would have to recalibrate the active steering. I seem to remember a bulletin about poor SDARS reception and retrofitting an external antenna but I cant remember what model it was on.

Mr. BMW
01-02-2009, 08:19 PM
I buy everything here though. A 650 in Canada can run you over 150k.

The US does has its advantage!