PDA

View Full Version : Valve Springs upgrade needed with schrick cams?

KraZy007
03-13-2001, 02:26 AM
I'm going to be getting the schrick cams that turner sells in afew weeks. Should i worry about upgrading my valve springs also? What about titanium valve retainers? Are these necessary? Thanks

jimmy

BAADDOG
03-13-2001, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by KraZy007
I'm going to be getting the schrick cams that turner sells in afew weeks. Should i worry about upgrading my valve springs also? What about titanium valve retainers? Are these necessary? Thanks

jimmy

Hey Jimmy,

What was the Turner reccomendation and complete parts package?

If you have a 95 M3, you should replace your valve retainers for sure.

96-99 M3 valve retainers are OK.

If you plan a lot of running you car at continous redline, such as autoxing. You can go to all titanium springs and valve retainers.

It will be a labor intensive job to change springs and the springs are expensive.

If you plan on a lot of running just on the road keep your springs and shim them to spec's.

If you have an OBD II M3, if emissions testing and passing is important to you. You probably are not going to pass if you install cams.

Let us know how your install went and the performance of your car.

Good luck.

BJO
03-13-2001, 09:09 AM
chris is right, definitely change the retainers. the springs should be fine. although if you're really anal about it do the whole thing. i'm thinking about doing this to my 95 m3 also. let us know how it goes and post any dyno pics.