PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket options?

hicks650i
09-23-2008, 01:57 AM
So, I don't have active cruise control, active steering, or night vision. I've got everything else, and I was wondering how difficult it would be to buy the parts and install myself active cruise and night vision. I imagine active steering would involve much more of an overhaul. The camera for the high beam assist is near the top of the windshield, so I am wondering whether either systems use the same camera, and how far from a simple plug-and-play it would be to install each. I see for the active cruise I will need a new blinker thingy (handle/controller/lever/selector)? Or whatever you call the damn things.

Anyone have any insight or am I just stupid for not getting these options in the first place? I imagine I could use the night vision, we've got an overpopulation of skunks around here this year, and armadillos could really do a number on my bumper. I never use cruise control but the active version seems useful, especially on road trips.

Mr. BMW
09-23-2008, 09:34 AM
So, I don't have active cruise control, active steering, or night vision. I've got everything else, and I was wondering how difficult it would be to buy the parts and install myself active cruise and night vision. I imagine active steering would involve much more of an overhaul. The camera for the high beam assist is near the top of the windshield, so I am wondering whether either systems use the same camera, and how far from a simple plug-and-play it would be to install each. I see for the active cruise I will need a new blinker thingy (handle/controller/lever/selector)? Or whatever you call the damn things.

Anyone have any insight or am I just stupid for not getting these options in the first place? I imagine I could use the night vision, we've got an overpopulation of skunks around here this year, and armadillos could really do a number on my bumper. I never use cruise control but the active version seems useful, especially on road trips.

Yeah, you were stupid!:D J/K

Here's the 411 (Information you seek), I hope.

Active Steering (AS): Unfortunately, because you order/bought your 6er without the AS, you do not have the electrical (AKA Fibre Optics) harness that supports AS and of course you do not have the sensor and a few other trinkets for the front wheel drive system.

Active Cruise Control (ACC): Unfortunately, it is not just a stalk on the left. You need to install the infrared (Radar) into the front fascia (Mess) on the passenger-side-which connects to that very same (Fo) harness I mentioned above.

Night Vision (NV): Is the same as above but the Infrared installation is on the driver's side.

Can you get it ll done if you get the Book of Knowledge from BMW, Sure you can... With money, time, and the BOOK, all your dreams can come true.

hicks650i
09-23-2008, 06:46 PM
So can you get me a book or what? :D

Mr. BMW
09-23-2008, 06:52 PM
So can you get me a book or what? :D

Now, I don't know you like that... You did not even warm up to me and your';re asking for my goodies. You're a bad boy!

I have to think about it.

hicks650i
09-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Well I've got a great relationship with the sales dept, but not so much service. Hook a brother up!

Bankswood
10-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Have you ever had active cruise? I have it on my LS 430 and it is a pain in the .... I switch to the normal cruise mode when I drive it. I have a 645 also and I couldn't imagine letting the car tell me when to slow down. Half the fun is accelerating around the guy you just caught up to.

hicks650i
10-11-2008, 02:04 AM
No I've never used it before. I just drove from OK to Canada though and I sure would have liked having it more than a few instances. Even if I didn't use it a lot I still wouldn't mind having it for that once in a while when my foot goes numb. As it is now I use the pedals with my left foot and put my right up on the dash and what not to try to get it to stop aching after 8 hours or so straight.

Mr. BMW
10-14-2008, 01:07 PM
ACC is fine. Guess those who like to burn all the time would feel differently and like someone said, your foot will get tired after the longer drives which is the purpose of this feature, IMO.

bmwQ
11-10-2008, 09:16 PM
ACC is my single favorite comfort related BMW accessory by far. Similar to one-touch windows (up, particularly), once you live with it you wonder how you got along without it. ACC is awesome.