PDA

View Full Version : Need advice from E63/E64 owners

morrissey
09-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm excited to say that I've found a 645ci that's in my price range and that has all the configurations I'm looking for. Here it is:

hxxp://************/6gd6ny (replace the hxxp with http)

I'm open to advice as far as how to go about getting this car and if there is anything I should know about the 2005 models.

Right now the lease on my IS350 ends in November. I have two more payments due of around $500. I spoke with the dealer last night and after mentioning that my payoff is $26,000, he said he MIGHT make it work but that the payoff is a little high.

Do you think I have any chance of negotiating with these folks to buy my car outright so that I'm free and clear to purchase this car? The thing is, I could wait in November when I return my IS350 to Lexus, but there are many dings on the bumper that I know Lexus will charge me for. The auto body shop estimated that it's a $1300 job, so I mentioned this to the dealer that is selling the 645ci. They said that it's fine if the car has some wear and tear and that they'll just knock off $1300 from the payoff amount.

Sorry for the long winded thread :) but any advice would be appreciated!

Mr. BMW
09-09-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm open to advice as far as how to go about getting this car and if there is anything I should know about the 2005 models.

'05s are very good models to have, just make sure the service history is known and up to date. Also make sure the latest CIP is installed on your potential 645Cic.

Who is selling this 645?

Right now the lease on my IS350 ends in November. I have two more payments due of around $500.

You are stepping it up my friend! from a IS350 to a 645Cic! Good ONE!!

Do you think I have any chance of negotiating with these folks to buy my car outright so that I'm free and clear to purchase this car?

I thought you said you leased the IS350..? Just drop off the thing since you have $1000 to be paid in the next two months and a possible $1300 for excessive wear and tear. Notice I said excessive. If you do not have a destroyed car (Mal) treatment, you should be fine turning it in for a small fee based on your LEXUS contract.

The thing is, I could wait in November when I return my IS350 to Lexus, but there are many dings on the bumper that I know Lexus will charge me for. The auto body shop estimated that it's a $1300 job, so I mentioned this to the dealer that is selling the 645ci. They said that it's fine if the car has some wear and tear and that they'll just knock off $1300 from the payoff amount.

Dummy move... (j/k) Treat them like the government, let them tell you if additional cost are required. Get the best deal you can on the CPO (I hope), and go from there.

morrissey
09-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Who is selling this 645?

Check out the link I provided (just replace the hxxp with http since you can't provide links on this forum).

I thought you said you leased the IS350..? Just drop off the thing since you have $1000 to be paid in the next two months and a possible $1300 for excessive wear and tear. Notice I said excessive. If you do not have a destroyed car (Mal) treatment, you should be fine turning it in for a small fee based on your LEXUS contract.

I am leasing it. The lease is due in two months, so I have a little over $1000 left in payments. The dings on my bumper are excessive, meaning there are over 10 dings from idiots who can't park. The scratches on my fender are minimal. So I have a feeling I've exceeded that "wear and tear" limitation, although I can't be entirely sure until I visit the Lexus dealer and ask.

Dummy move... (j/k) Treat them like the government, let them tell you if additional cost are required. Get the best deal you can on the CPO (I hope), and go from there.

Probably wasn't the best idea to mention that to them. I'm new to this process since I've never leased before.

hicks650i
09-10-2008, 07:32 AM
If I were in your position:

1. I would get the Lexus in as good as condition as possible without spending too much money for when you take it back to try to avoid them penalizing you.

2. First of all I would call in the VIN to BMW to make sure the factory warranty is still in effect, and I would immediately purchase the extended warranty (from BMW) on the 645 upon purchase as it is only 6k miles away.

3. Be CAREFUL buying from sellers online. Go there in person, and watch your ass. I'm not sure if you are experienced with internet deals but remember that if it seems to good to be true, it usually is. Don't get too excited. The first time I considered buying a used car I was after an '06 Gallardo for 75 grand and it turned out to be a scam. Broke my heart but I learned my lesson. I didn't lose any money or anything because I was careful but I was very disappointed that I wasn't cruising in my very own bright yellow Lamborghini. Be excited, but be careful and don't start celebrating until you are gone in your car.

4. After you get it, don't laugh at guys like me who paid 95 for the same classy-ass car. Because I will hurt you. ;)

Good luck.

morrissey
11-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I never ended up buying that 645ci. I did end up returning my Lexus for pretty much no wear and tear fees (got lucky), but I'm renting a car right now.

I'm still very interested in getting a 2004-2005 645ci. Times have changed dramatically since I made this initial post and the prices of these cars have gone down significantly. My concern is really cost of ownership. I want to know some of the known problems with these cars and what to look for. Are they worth spending $35K for a used one? Is it pretty much a given to buy the extended warranty?

I had a friend last night who just bought a 335i tell me NOT to go for this car. He was persuading me that the car will have problems. That's why I'm on here to see what the majority thinks.

Mr. BMW
11-13-2008, 07:49 PM
I did end up returning my Lexus for pretty much no wear and tear fees (got lucky), but I'm renting a car right now.

Good for you. I am glad it worked out well.

My concern is really cost of ownership. I want to know some of the known problems with these cars and what to look for.

645's, you want to make sure the CIP software is updated to the latest revision. Honestly, as for problems, I have not experienced many but from what I heard is:
DVD/CD continuous spin (Solved by CIP updates)
Convertible top doesn't close in the states of Arizona (Sensor replacement)
Engine revvs high on cold start (Solved by DME & CIP updates)
Shuttering of the breaks; ever-so-slightly (Solved by CIP updates)

I think you should get the message here... No car is perfect but what your buying has gotten darn near close.

Are they worth spending $35K for a used one? Is it pretty much a given to buy the extended warranty?
Yes. Yes.

I had a friend last night who just bought a 335i tell me NOT to go for this car. He was persuading me that the car will have problems. That's why I'm on here to see what the majority thinks.

Why does he say that? Because all used cars have issues? Well so does new cars. I say buy any car especially used with caution and all the proper check to make sure you are not buying someone else's problems!

With the warranty, you alleviate all those issues.

morrissey
12-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Thank you so much for the advice. I'm a proud new owner of a 2004 645ci! I love the car dearly. I did a lot of research and with the help of forums such as this, I feel I found my perfect car.

Sorry if this has been addressed in other threads, but how do I go about getting the CIP Software Update? If it has to be done via the Service Dept at BMW, how much should I expect to pay? Also, would this update also address the lack of bluetooth functionality in my car?

Thanks!

Mr. BMW
12-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Thank you so much for the advice. I'm a proud new owner of a 2004 645ci! I love the car dearly. I did a lot of research and with the help of forums such as this, I feel I found my perfect car.

Sorry if this has been addressed in other threads, but how do I go about getting the CIP Software Update? If it has to be done via the Service Dept at BMW, how much should I expect to pay? Also, would this update also address the lack of bluetooth functionality in my car?

Thanks!

I am in Paris right now. I will respond in detail 2 morrow evening. Here's a quick response on BT. You have to buy the BMW BT Module. I'll post all those details. ~$250 for CIP update.

morrissey
12-20-2008, 02:46 AM
Thanks Mr. BMW...I'm surprised the 2004 models didn't come with BT as an option. Or maybe they did and the previous owner opted not to get it.

I'm also in need of integrating the iPod into my car. I'm not even concerned with having a fancy integration. If I can get an AUX input, that would be perfect. Any advice?

TopDowninFL
12-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks Mr. BMW...I'm surprised the 2004 models didn't come with BT as an option. Or maybe they did and the previous owner opted not to get it.

I'm also in need of integrating the iPod into my car. I'm not even concerned with having a fancy integration. If I can get an AUX input, that would be perfect. Any advice?

I have an '04 645 vert and it came with BT. Double check in your Car Data section in the iDrive that BT isn't there. If you have the old BMW phone cradle, you can purchase a Motorola BT retro kit - just google "motorola cpt9000 bluetooth" and you'll find them.

I got my ipod kit from Bavarian Sound Werks. Installed it myself in 15 minutes and then had the dealer do the upgrade to the iDrive (which was a couple hundred).