PDA

View Full Version : using handbrake on launch.

GazM3
08-29-2008, 06:33 AM
I had a few goes at some drag racing, but like everyone i wanna get the best out of the car,

one of the problems I have is I use a button (looks like a star) clutch plate. Great for no slippage, but its not the easiest thing to get off the line.

I heard people use the handbrake to load up the car abit on the line......is this useful for a manual?

BTW,
Welcome to the new drag racing forum section

PEI330Ci
08-29-2008, 09:10 AM
I tried using the hand brake, and loading the car against the clutch but didn't have much success with it. I admit that I could have gotten good at it if I continued to practice it, but I didn't see the point. My launch and R/T were just fine using the conventional method. It appears to do more for FWD cars than RWD cars, but that's just a personal observation.

When I do get my BMW back on the road, I'll have a line lock installed. While primarily for doing quick burnouts, I'm going to use it on the line as well to prevent creep prior to launch. (It will be wired to a 2-step as well)

I'm interested to hear of other people's experience with this technique as well.

Firestorm
08-29-2008, 11:21 AM
One of the nifty things about loading it up on the handbrake is that it takes up all the slack in the drivetrain - reducing the chance of something snapping/breaking.

:)

SiGmA
08-29-2008, 10:48 PM
OP, thats a nice speed, I love those S50B32's!

I use the brake to hold myself when not on a level launch pad, eg practicing my launch at my garage's driveway. At the strip its not really needed, tho I could see how it might help. Depends on your technique I suppose.

///M3 CRAZY
08-29-2008, 10:52 PM
my theory is just try it. weirder things have been know to work. i don't think it would have nor would it help me, but the worst that is gonna happen is you botch up one of your runs.

MrBlonde
08-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Read my hints and tips for how to do this (link in my sig)