PDA

View Full Version : GDM Engineering automatic hits the track...1.43 60ft!!!!

zemaestro
05-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Well, we finally got the car up and running last weekend. Had some weird fuel pressure issues and vaccum/boost leaks to deal with this past week. The car temporarily has an AA tune and 550cc injectors and a draw through MAF. The car runs very well at times, but will not pull continuously throughout the run. It does not misfire, just acting like the computer is pulling all fuel??? We did not run the car for times, just to make sure the chassis is setup properly, that it will go straight and shift properly. I've been working on it for months and just had to get to the track. I will be going standalone within a week or so. The best time was a meager 11.1 @ 116 with several throttle lifts and shifting at like 6k. I would have liked to run into the low 10's but the tuning will not permit, sorry. It will be fast, promise.....I want to give a thankyou to Lennie Knott for the Trans conversion, and Jason B. for his time in assembling the race terd....If I get my shit together, I will have the c-4 conversions for sale as a complete kit, More to follow

JordanMD88
05-17-2008, 08:44 PM
cool :)

a32guy
05-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Wow, that thing HOOKS! Nice goin guys.

Wheel and tire setup?

JordanMD88
05-17-2008, 08:54 PM
I have decided I need one of these :) PM me plz

stanksbeamen
05-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Nice, thats a weird looking hood, is it custom?

jfdmas
05-17-2008, 09:57 PM
damnit, this is why i need an auto.lol my trap speed of 129 vs yours at 116.lol and your better et post a slip so kenny can add you to the list.

MrBlonde
05-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Monster short time! Shame about the bleeder .. :-(

rundatrack
05-17-2008, 10:03 PM
wow

BMWSOB
05-17-2008, 10:28 PM
damnit, this is why i need an auto.lol my trap speed of 129 vs yours at 116.lol and your better et post a slip so kenny can add you to the list.

Good thing its not a "street car":shifty

5mall5nail5
05-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Yeah I've gone back and forth on an auto (th400 with aftermarket bell) and I just can't do it and still have it a street car. I've heard all the supra guys complain at how boring and retarded it is having a high stall auto glide on the street day to day.

Killer 60' though

trthrrt489
05-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Does it have a transbrake and all of that jazz?

-Dave

bigmansM
05-18-2008, 12:13 AM
Well, we finally got the car up and running last weekend. Had some weird fuel pressure issues and vaccum/boost leaks to deal with this past week. The car temporarily has an AA tune and 550cc injectors and a draw through MAF. The car runs very well at times, but will not pull continuously throughout the run. It does not misfire, just acting like the computer is pulling all fuel??? We did not run the car for times, just to make sure the chassis is setup properly, that it will go straight and shift properly. I've been working on it for months and just had to get to the track. I will be going standalone within a week or so. The best time was a meager 11.1 @ 116 with several throttle lifts and shifting at like 6k. I would have liked to run into the low 10's but the tuning will not permit, sorry. It will be fast, promise.....I want to give a thankyou to Lennie Knott for the Trans conversion, and Jason B. for his time in assembling the race terd....If I get my shit together, I will have the c-4 conversions for sale as a complete kit, More to follow

what hood is that on your car?

card counter
05-18-2008, 07:20 AM
..I want to give a thankyou to Lennie Knott for the Trans conversion, and Jason B. for his time in assembling the race terd..

Good job travis,Lenny told me you drove the car to his house last week.

BadBoostedBmwM3
05-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Wow a 11.1 w/ only 116mph trap. I didn't know that was possible.

zemaestro
05-18-2008, 12:13 PM
I'll try to answer all the questions...Let me say, I'm not a fan of going to the track before I'm ready, and I wasn't ready. A full pass would have netted a very low 10 sec time, and anyone who knows how serious a 1.43 is, knows that it's good for 9 sec passes all day long. The trap is indicative of having to pedal multiple times, because the fuel was being cut. I'm thinking a parameter within the DME was being exceeded (like AFM voltage). With the way the car performed and considering the fact that it only hit the street last week, it's pretty damn satisfying. The car launched very, very hard, like put the helmet against the seat hard, faster then anything I've ever been in. Jason, who watched the run, was angry that I didn't bring the camera, and actually thought it was going to pull the wheels and he knows whats up when it comes to drag racing. On the the 11.1 run I actually spun and ran a 1.54 60ft time, because I had upped the launch rpm. Now the good news, atleast from my point of view. The car is capable of probably a 1.35 the way it sits with correct tires and more suspension tuning. The setup was designed only to make some shakedown passes. The wheels are 15x7 and the tires are only a 26x8.5-15 (at 18psi , 5 psi too high) and are atleast 5 years old. The hood is MA shaw. I don't have a transbrake, I left off the footbrake with a converter that I had set up for nitrous....so imagine if I would have sprayed it. Without getting into and arguement, the car is A STREET CAR, PLEASE LEAVE IT AT THAT! I always try to post my number because I prefer direct communication over PM's, Jordon give me a call 301 991 3754

mike radowski
05-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Nice short times! Gotta love the auto for putting the power down without upsetting the suspension. Looking forward to more clean passes.

jfdmas
05-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Nice short times! Gotta love the auto for putting the power down without upsetting the suspension. Looking forward to more clean passes.

what has your best 60ft been so far?

also, zemeastro, are you still using bmw rear and axles? If so, im surprised they didnt break on that kinda 60ft.

zemaestro
05-18-2008, 02:59 PM
yes 1.43 was my personal best. It took me by surprise a little. Yes they are stock M3 axles (95 small diameter)

Turbo Charg Dynam
05-18-2008, 03:11 PM
That's awesome! I imagine with the proper HP level you'll be the USA 1/4 mile e36 record holder. 5 speed just gives up way too much in the 1/4.

Todd

xjeeper
05-18-2008, 06:41 PM
WOW can you post some more pictures?

What are you doing suspension wise?

5mall5nail5
05-18-2008, 06:55 PM
He's not braking the axles because he's not dropping the clutch on them like we are. Transbrake will load up everything pretty nicely and when he gets off the trans brake the converter has a slipping effect thats not the same as just dumping the clutch. Auto ftw on the strip, ftl on the street.

BadBoostedBmwM3
05-18-2008, 08:20 PM
I wish that i could pull that kind of 60ft

el bob
05-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Nice work!

niks325i
05-18-2008, 10:44 PM
When my GM auto blows up I'll be looking into a setup like this. Subscribed!

Nik

PJ750iL
05-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Very nice, would love this kit.

StreuB1
05-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Shame about the bleeder .. :-(

werd

zemaestro
05-19-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm not using a transbrake, they don't load anything other then the transmission. They work by holding the first gear and reverse gear clutch packs together using hydraulic pressure. You bring the engine up to whatever rpm and you release the button controlling the solenoid, all hell breaks loose. They are a great way to break stuff, and that wasn't my goal. launching off of a transbrake is just as violent as dropping the clutch...Running a 1.43 60ft time is still asking alot of everything in the drivetrain and rear suspension area. If the car is going to consistantly launch this hard I wouldn't expect the axles to hold up to this abuse very long. I guess we will see. I run stock e36 suspension up front and ground control coilovers in the rear, with Koni adjustable shocks. The diff is built by Metrix Motorsports, and hopefully they will continue to work with me in the future. Also, you guys showing interest in the Trans conversion will be the motivation I need. If you read the past post, I already had a batch of extra radical SFI flex plates made, and am working with a converter company that builds converters for some of the fastest turbo cars in the country. Look how good it worked for me right off the bat. Later doods....

trthrrt489
05-19-2008, 07:18 PM
I would be interested in seeing what the advantages and disadvantages of using the C4 vs the TH400.

I am far froma trans expert, but, always thought Turbo 400 was the way to go because the cool kids were doing it.

Someone break it dizown.

JordanMD88
05-19-2008, 08:05 PM
From what I know the C4 is more robust out of the box than the Th400.

Also The C4's do not need constant rebuilds while racing like the Th400, From what I have heard.

Geno325is
05-19-2008, 08:10 PM
When is the C4 kit coming out? and prices? :D

MrBlonde
05-19-2008, 10:19 PM
I think the C4 has packaging advantages over a TH400.

Coming up on the convertor and building positive boost is good for ET and trap but can be a big disadvantage in winning races at a drag strip. Sitting there while RPMs and boost climb slowly while the lights are growing greener and greener is not desirable.

StreuB1
05-19-2008, 10:30 PM
yessssir

perfect example was two guys yesterday...one with a fox body and the other a GN. both were on the converter for about 8 seconds waiting for green. i was watching the cars lurch up and you hear the turbo spooling and the car starts raising in the front and then twisting up on the left and then BAM!!......wasnt impressive because the converter was prolly blazing hot at that point. both ran prolly a full second slower then i would have imagined. i attribute that to them loading the car up and holding it for wayyyyy too long.

thats why alot of turbo cars run a manual with a slipper. only the OG's know how to play with a turbo and automatic properly in my opinion. relies heavily on the tranny shop really knowing what they are doing when selecting the converter. right stall speed, knowing when its gonna flash, etc etc. (see Coan + Precision Turbo = ownage ;) )

zemaestro
05-20-2008, 07:55 AM
The prices that I know for sure are $250 for the S.F.I. chromoly flex plate, with required flex plate bolts. $1000 for the custom converter that bolts to the BMW. The bellhousing price is yet to be determined. I know that the customer will have to supply his/her bellhousing or pay the core charge. The transmission is about $1950, the urethane mount that I used is $50. The flexible dipstick is around $70. Shifters are anywhere from $150 to $250. As far as the shifter plate and trans crossmembers, I have to see what you guys want/need. I'm leaning towards selling one entire package to make it easier on myself and the customer and to eliminate variables. The TH400 vs C-4.... I guess the main advantage for me was the packaging issue. It literally fits within the confines of the BMW like it was meant to be, no hammering cutting or pounding! The second positive is that it is a small and very efficient transmission, it has low parasitic losses. The third is that I used it before in my 300zx twin turbo, with excellent results. The fourth is that the the manufacturer of mine offers a lifetime warranty, sold on that fact alone. My buddy ran 8.8's in a fox body mustang making 890 to the wheels, using the same C-4 I put in my Z. The TH400 is bigger, heavier, less effiecient, will not fit in the tunnel, but if your running rounds, and need ultimate consistancy, without proper cool down, and desire a tranny that has the potential to hold over 2000 hp then it's a good choice. I can't tell you how many trouble free passes I made in my Z, but I can tell you it's alot. I beat that car into the ground, on the track and on the street, with no transmission problems of any sort. I know I made atleast 8 passes one day all within less then a tenth of a second. Hope this helps.

StreuB1
05-20-2008, 08:35 AM
So we're looking at $3470 + the price of the bell which is yet to be determined?

zemaestro
05-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Yes, if that's what the math produces, plus driveshaft with 1350 U-joints.....I know the supra kit is about $4700 complete. BTW Brian, I was closer to anyone knows to buying your car, like one phone call away, just way to much on my plate right now.

rt turbo
05-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Get this guy to race "10secS4" from the audi forum. Hes been talking alot of trash and will only race from a dead stop. this would shut his ass up.

Oleg Coupe
05-20-2008, 10:36 AM
I want your C4 in my daily E36! :) Keep us informed how things are going!

blackbenzz
05-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Damnnnn, SICK 60' time! :buttrock

You go to MIR, Cecil or Capitol? You are kinda close to where I live

got psi
05-20-2008, 01:49 PM
GM turbo stronger out of the box than C-4
GM turbo heavier than C-4
GM turbo bigger than C-4
GM turbo has sprague problems with BIG horsepower
C-4 has input shaft converter problems with BIG power
both transmissions have to be looked at at least twice a season(full competition)
GM has a bigger bell so it doesn't fit a stock tunnel without a hammer
with the technology available today either trans is a good choice
Art Carr is the person that put the C-4 on the map for racing in the states. He has had the best trans for dragracing. Coan is best known for their racing converters. There are many trans builders that can do 400 turbo's. My opinion is the 400 Turbo will handle well over 1800 hp actually torque is the factor here 1000lbs/ft. Not many of us here will have to worry about that. EVER! I like the brake on the 400 as it is faster releasingand solid as a rock when used. I am a 400 turbo guy so I am somewhat biased. ///J.T.///

Spooler
06-30-2008, 09:31 AM
What type of tranny setup is this???

MrBlonde
06-30-2008, 09:42 AM
What type of tranny setup is this???

The OP plainly states it's a Ford C4 automatic.

postmaster
05-11-2009, 07:24 PM
I run stock e36 suspension up front and ground control coilovers in the rear, with Koni adjustable shocks.

Can you tell us what spring rates and damper setting you're using?

So Live
05-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Very impressive man, especially on stock rear components.

Keep us updated!

PEI330Ci
05-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Congrats, that's a monster short time!

Looking forward to more updates.

And yes I agree that part of the axle problems we've been seeing is due to no taking up the slack in the drivetrain prior to launch. A properly utilized line-lock should help with this...

continuing ed
05-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Way to go Travis! The car was almost pulling the front wheels LAST year. Makes me wonder if a set of bars are in your future....

johncow
05-12-2009, 12:13 AM
powerglide?