Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Guage Pod Build

My Cars
    1984 BMW 318i, 88 vr6 coupe, 2004 4runner
    my last thread got deleted. i am re-creating the "Zoran" guage pod and this will be the thread regarding the build. I had lots more information on my last thread.. but it got deleted..?
    Last edited by RTCustomz; 04-13-2008 at 09:16 PM.

My Cars
    Yuri is supplying his dashboard and Clint is supplying his car. Thank you guys, this will be a reality soon enough!
    Last edited by RTCustomz; 04-13-2008 at 09:17 PM.

My Cars
    2002 M roadster
    In the other thread, Clint said you need gauges. Have a preference? I have a reasonable collection, I could send you a few. VDO Contour, VDO Cockpit White, ISSPRO EVM and EVA, Classic Instruments Silver Series, and stock S54 gauges. The ISSPRO probably have the deepest total mounting depth; here's a picture of one between two stock S54 gauges.

The ones I want to use are very shallow since they're just OLED displays. Pair of PLX DM-100 (52mm) and a PLX DM-200 (60mm) in the center.
    Daniel
    2002 M roadster
    persistently obsolete mod list

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    These are the gauges I put in Zoran's car:

My Cars
    FS: Z3 M Coupe & E36 M3
    Ron I also have some VDO gauges I can send you! Obviously I was not thinking when I sent you the dash but I think I will put them in the mail for you on Monday!
    99 /// SC Stage II Z3 M Coupe

98 /// TT2 M3 Sedan

My Cars
    its ok. i have discussed this with clint and have decided to make the kits without the holes cut for the guages. So it will be the buyers job to do so less confusion and/or error on my part. Also multipler guages can be used since i heard some people want bigger guages than others.

My Cars
    2002 M roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by RTCustomz View Post
    its ok. i have discussed this with clint and have decided to make the kits without the holes cut for the guages. So it will be the buyers job to do so less confusion and/or error on my part. Also multipler guages can be used since i heard some people want bigger guages than others.
    Perfect, thanks!
    Daniel
    2002 M roadster

My Cars
    Ron how are you dealing with having to melt the vent pipes to fit the gauges?

My dash has the pipes in it so that should help you. Based on the dims Randy gave us it seems as if the deepest gauge is about 2.75". Keep us posted with some nice pics!

98 /// TT2 M3 Sedan

My Cars
    i have not touched your dash as of this day for the hole needs to be cut and i was told not to cut the dash. so Clint and i are discussing possible ways of going about this.

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    OK. I've bid on another dash on Ebay as well. This should work well as a prototype and we'll have another one to play with rather than experimenting on Yuri's. Yuri if you could send either Ron or I the set of gauges that would be very helpful. Thanks!
    2002 Alpine White w/ Black 368 (<OO \(||][||)/ OO>)
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps
    Coming soon: and a visit to Randy Forbes

My Cars
    Clint, i dont think i will require any guages for the buyer will cut the holes per their design.

My Cars
    2002 M roadster
    You might need some gauges due to the clearance issues with the HVAC ductwork. Just to get the angle of the face good enough so that most gauges won't conflict. Randy mentioned this on the phone today from the installation of Zoran's pod. It's probably not an issue in my case since the PLX displays are very shallow, but normal gauges might hit the ducts if you're not careful.

Randy has some pictures on our site here:

http://www.rfdm.com/gallery/album35?page=17
    http://www.rfdm.com/gallery/album35?page=18
    Daniel
    2002 M roadster

My Cars
    I do see that i may need some sort of guage now I will act accordingly..

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    cant wait to see how this turns out!

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by dwm View Post
    You might need some gauges due to the clearance issues with the HVAC ductwork. Just to get the angle of the face good enough so that most gauges won't conflict. Randy mentioned this on the phone today from the installation of Zoran's pod. It's probably not an issue in my case since the PLX displays are very shallow, but normal gauges might hit the ducts if you're not careful.

Randy has some pictures on our site here:

http://www.rfdm.com/gallery/album35?page=17
    http://www.rfdm.com/gallery/album35?page=18
    This one reminds me of the ten (10) years taken off my life...

My Cars
    I will send you guys the gauges tomorrow! Should have them in a couple of days!
    Thanks

98 /// TT2 M3 Sedan

My Cars
    Zoran where are you man?.... we could you exact dimensions for cutting the dash right about now! hehehehe

Thanks for bidding on another dash Clint but again...after we all see some protypes and decide on one we like we can CAREFULLY dive in....

98 /// TT2 M3 Sedan

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    This one reminds me of the ten (10) years taken off my life...

Randy do you happen to have the dimensions of the hole? I'll email Zoran too but just curious....
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps

My Cars
    1999 M Coupe - gone
    Quote Originally Posted by clintjg View Post
    Randy do you happen to have the dimensions of the hole? I'll email Zoran too but just curious....
    Sorry, I don't have any dimensions of the hole.

VDO gauges will definitely hit the ducts. I think they just used heat gun to massage the ducts and get them out of the way. I haven't noticed any air flow issues.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by zoran View Post
    Sorry, I don't have any dimensions of the hole.

VDO gauges will definitely hit the ducts. I think they just used heat gun to massage the ducts and get them out of the way. I haven't noticed any air flow issues.
    No dimensions, but this should give you an idea. Also, the air duct wasn't modified at the time I did the higher elevation gauges.

Note setback of leading edge of opening and mounting point(s) of gauge faceplate.

It's possible that I may have other shots from Zoran's work that were not put online; not every shot makes the cut. I'll dig some up to see...

My Cars
    Ron,

My (3) VDO gauges are on their way to your place! They should be there by Thursday. I will email you the tracking number later on! Shoot me an email when you get them!

98 /// TT2 M3 Sedan

My Cars
    sounds good. i will try to create this such that so massaging the air vents is not necessary but as little as possible if necessary! Do you still want me to not mess with your dash, or do we have the ok now?

My Cars
    Z3 2.8, MC S50, 545i
    OK. I've bid on another dash on Ebay as well. This should work well as a prototype and we'll have another one to play with rather than experimenting on Yuri's. Yuri if you could send either Ron or I the set of gauges that would be very helpful. Thanks!
    Hey Clint, I see this dash on ebay is buy now at only $45 - not in great order but would be fine for RT to use. I'd be happy to chip in $10 or so to you on Paypal towards it if it will help. Am very keen for this to pan out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...spagenameZWD1V
    AKA Kiwi

My Cars
    I am not sure if Clint had won that dashboard which he bid on, for i have not heard from him in the last day or so. The curve that you guys desire will NOT be a problem, thats a promise. -Ron

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuma View Post
    Hey Clint, I see this dash on ebay is buy now at only $45 - not in great order but would be fine for RT to use. I'd be happy to chip in $10 or so to you on Paypal towards it if it will help. Am very keen for this to pan out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...spagenameZWD1V
    UGHhhhhhhh not sure why that dash doesn't show up in a search... I'm buying the $200 one.... Maybe I'll be out bid in the last 3 hrs....

Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast