Thread: UUC Tranny Mounts & UUC FCAB's Installed (finally)

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT

Cool UUC Tranny Mounts & UUC FCAB's Installed (finally)

I finally got around to installing the UUC Tranny Mounts and UUC Front Control Arm Bushings (FCAB’s) that my wife bought me for Christmas. The car was gone for a couple of weeks after Christmas for Randyization and after that I was too busy getting the stereo installed, so I do have an excuse.

I’m not going to do a complete write-up since there’s an excellent one from willscam linked in the DIY thread.

The first thing to do was get the car in the air and support the transmission.

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    Here’s the stock setup. I loosened up the tranny mount top nuts and then removed the cross member.

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    I bought the UUC red mounts along with the enforcer cups.

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    Here’s the cross member dropped ready for me to pull the old mounts off.

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    Here’s the new mounts installed.

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    Then I put the cross member back in place. I hand tightened the cross member bolts and then torqued down the tranny mount bolts at 16 ft-lbs. I used my inch-lb torque wrench because it has a smaller head and can fit in between the guibo and the tranny mount nut.

I also removed a section of exhaust to make torquing the cross member bolts on the passenger side easier. My Bentley manual said 31 ft-lbs, but willscam’s DIY had 15 ft-lbs listed. Considering I busted a bolt in the process, I think willscam might be right.

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    Then I moved on to the FCAB’s. This is about as simple an install as you can get.

Here’s the stock setup. You simply remove the two bolts and then work the entire bushing/mount assembly off the end of the control arm. Some folks use a gear puller, but I found large lock jaw pliers to work just fine. I had to alternate sides back and forth about a dozen times, but I got it down far enough to work it by hand from there.

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    Here’s the stock FCAB next to the new UUC one. My driver’s side stocker had a couple of tears in it, so it was definitely a good time to change it out.

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    I sprayed Windex on the control arm and inside the bushing and then simply pushed them onto the control arm. It was surprisingly easy to get on. Then I simply lined up the holes and hand tightened the bolts. Then I torqued them to 34 ft-lbs (per Bentley).

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Any impressions of the bushings after driving? I am particularly curious about the transmission mounts. I replaced mine with new OE rubber mounts when I did my clutch, but I am noticing that the transmission shifts (pardon the pun) around a lot under heavy cornering. I had considered going to a harder mount, but was worried about getting more vibration in the cabin.

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    I got everything buttoned up late last night. I'll go for a drive later this morning and report back.

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    interested as well on the trans bushings

My Cars
    '08 E90 M3
    me 3
    Craig Brickner
    Click to Join: BMWCCA # 366493
    BMW CCA/PBOC/Chin Motorsports DE Instructor

2008 M3 Sedan Jerez/Black

My Cars
    99 ///M Coupe / 95 Del sol / 95 Jeep XJ
    me as well...

When I bought my UUC tranny mounts, they told me not to go with the red's unless i had a cage and mainly only used my car for track, do to the extra vibration. (Also which reds did you get ? continous threaded rod or separate rods ) I went with their black tranny mounts (stock), with the enforcer caps, it tighten up the tranny shifting a ton with no vibration at all added, and I've been very happy since...

So i'm wondering if you will end up with any vibration with the reds or not, since thats what they told me ...
    Last edited by Coupe Monkey; 02-18-2008 at 01:38 PM.

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    These are the continuous threaded mounts. The enforcer cups (aluminum "caps" on top of the bushings aren't necessary, but I went for the extra support.

First off, no noticeable vibration at all. There is a noticeable reduction in driveline slop when shifting under power. That's what I was hoping for, so I'm happy. I think adding engine mounts will help even more, but they look like they might be a PITA to install.

As for the FCAB's - the slight vibration I had from the front end is now gone! I'm sure it was due to the torn bushing on the driver's side.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    I noticed a lot more cabin noise after installing the UUC blacks with enforcers. I don't think it equates to vibration, but certainly makes the cabin louder...which I actually prefer.

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by BenH View Post

Man these cars are such money pits. It never ends.
    Its a joy to mod them though!

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    JBgotM mentioned a long while ago that after he loosened his tranny mounts to spec the cabin noises went away. Do you think it may apply to yours?

Man these cars are such money pits. It never ends.
    If you love them, all cars are money pits.

And yes, UUC states in the instructions that anything over the correct 16 ft-lbs will cause excessive vibration and NVH.

My Cars
    13 Boss 302, 05 H2 SUT
    EganM- thanks for putting these up. I'm due for a new guibo and tranny mounts too. My 2-3 shift gets difficult under high RPM and weight in on the rear. I suspect UUC reds and enforcers will take care of that. I have ~44k miles.
    I probably should have done my Guibo at the same time, but it looks like it's in good shape. It's definitely a good idea to combine these two projects!