• 6-speed stick

49 6.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stick or auto

My Cars
    2015 435i ZHP

Stick or auto

This is what you have in your car(s). Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by 2000Z3M; 04-09-2007 at 09:04 AM.

My Cars
    2007 GTI
    I wish I had a 6 speed. 5 does the job, since I have the stock diff and the M doesnt see much highway driving.

My Cars
    BMW
    auto = speed

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    If you buy a driver's car, you don't get auto, period! Auto is to sit in traffic or for little old ladies

Just my humble opinion though

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    M Coupe, M3/4/5, E30
    I think it depends on what vehicle your looking at. What vehicle are you looking at?? Having said that my personal opinion:

AUTO = Boring!!!
    Cloudbase aka Alex
    Life on the Lee-Side BLOG, Hang Gliding YouTube Channel

My Cars
    '01 titan silver z3 3.0i
    5speed, but oh how i wish i had a 6th

My Cars
    240sx, JCW MINI, Disco
    Quote Originally Posted by luciano136 View Post
    If you buy a driver's car, you don't get auto, period! Auto is to sit in traffic or for little old ladies

Just my humble opinion though

Well, true and not. Sometimes auto just works for a car better. If I had a rolls royce phantom, I wouldn't want it to be stick. It's unbecoming.

and some people ethier have no left leg or are incapable of using it, so auto is their only choice.

But for excitement, stick is the way to go.

But keep in mind that an auto can shift faster than a human. So that's why drag cars are automatic.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedaddy View Post
    thedaddy ties Obama to Ozzie Osbourne...........nails triple word score.

My Cars
    E36, E36/8
    My 3.0 Coupe has an automatic. My 1.9 roady a 5-speed. How I wish both have 6-speeds.

My Cars
    01 Z3 2.5, 06 Taco
    You can (try to) pry my stick out of my cold dead right hand.

JWhite
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident....Arthur Schopenhauer

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. ...Carl Sagan

Tide goes in, tide goes out, you can't explain it... Bill O'Reilly

http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by LordoftheRoad View Post
    But keep in mind that an auto can shift faster than a human. So that's why drag cars are automatic.
    Yeah, but then we're not talking about the cheap automatic transmission that goes in regular cars. And don't forget about the power loss through the torque converter...

Another big annoyance is that it shifts when you don't want it to. Thinking about curves, uphill driving, etc.

To me, it just adds to a fun driving experience. Our SUV is automatic but that's not a driver's car. It's just practical and good for freeway cruising. I'd still take it in manual though if it came with it. That's just what I grew up with. I was 22 when I drove an automatic for the first time; I thought it was the weirdest thing ever...

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix

My Cars
    99 Mcp, 94 NSX, 87 e30
    Auto = people who wish they could drive stick and can't so they get the "Tip Tronic" Now if your talking about a family sedan in traffic, than maybe auto but in a sports car (real sports car) your boring if your get an auto. Have some excitement and get a stick!

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    I believe some variation on the auto-manual transmission is the future of mainstream automaking. Of course, there will be those who prefer one or the other depending on their driving style, but as cars become more computerized, I believe the manufacturers will combine the best attributes of both.

My Cars
    Tundra ///M Coupe & R6
    Auto ftl...

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by cngizbleevng View Post
    I believe some variation on the auto-manual transmission is the future of mainstream automaking. Of course, there will be those who prefer one or the other depending on their driving style, but as cars become more computerized, I believe the manufacturers will combine the best attributes of both.
    I honestly think it will take a long time before the clutch will disappear. As long as the demand is there (i.e. sports cars), car manufacters will offer it. Look at the M cars; they always provide a regular manual. Sometimes ONLY a manual (M Coupe/Roadster)...

In Belgium for example, about 99% of the cars are manual. Auto's seem to be huge here in the US...

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods

My Cars
    M coupe
    my 1st car, '88 Mercedes 560SEL, was obviously an auto. I had it for a few mos then traded it in for an '01 Golf 1.8T with a manual, and I've been a new man ever since.... It's my daily, but even so, it keeps me occupied in stop and go traffic. 33mpg on my last tank Which is always good since gas here is $3.60/gal

My Cars
    E36, E36/8
    One thing slushboxes are good for are for talking over the cellphone while driving. Yeah, yeah, I know that people are saying it's worse than drunk driving. But, hey, in reality, in places where that sort of act is not against the law, people continue to do it.

So, yeah, for these type of people, auto transmission is ftw.

My Cars
    Street Missile/Track Weapon
    Quote Originally Posted by jr1966 View Post
    One thing slushboxes are good for are for talking over the cellphone while driving. Yeah, yeah, I know that people are saying it's worse than drunk driving. But, hey, in reality, in places where that sort of act is not against the law, people continue to do it.

So, yeah, for these type of people, auto transmission is ftw.
    I'd rather get a bluetooth adapter

My Cars
    1996 328i
    +1 auto ftl
    +1 auto is good for chattin on the phone (still auto ftl)

~freakin Canada eh?!

1996 328i|Eibach springs|ACS strut|AEM COI|chipped|17" Fittipaldi wheels|
    Clear corners and rear lights|HIDs|

My Cars
    2015 435i ZHP

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    I think some of you stick guys are comparing your manuals to regular auto-transmissions that lack the ability to shift manually.

IIRC most of the AT Z3s have steptronic (at least the later years do), which allows for manual shifting right up to the redline--so it definitely doesn't have the sluggishness of a traditional AT, which may only get up to 3000 rpm before shifting. You can also downshift to pass or for engine braking going downhill. The 0-60 time for a 3.0 liter steptronic is 0.3 seconds slower than its manual version.

A third way to drive my car (other than completely auto or completely manual) is in 'sport mode' which is completely automatic when cruising normally (ie shifts between 2000-3000 rpms), but if you mash the accelerator the car won't shift until the redline.
    Last edited by cngizbleevng; 04-09-2007 at 08:27 AM.

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Was the poll intended to be what you have or what you prefer?
    2002 Alpine White w/ Black 368 (<OO \(||][||)/ OO>)
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps
    Coming soon: and a visit to Randy Forbes

My Cars
    2015 435i ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by clintjg View Post
    Was the poll intended to be what you have or what you prefer?
    what you have, I'll go back and edit my post to make it clear. I hope the stats are to off due to that.

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
    I hope the stats are to off due to that.
    I think it'll be off, maybe not. I didn't think that there were that many 6 speed swaps on this board but I could be wrong.
    2002 Alpine White w/ Black 368 (<OO \(||][||)/ OO>)
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps
    Coming soon: and a visit to Randy Forbes

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3
    I can't vote! My option is not up there!

A stick is something that falls off of a tree into my yard that I have to clean up. I don't know anyone who can drive a stick. Apparantly, a lot of you guys can. 5-speed sticks, 6-speed sticks, how can you tell? It's just a small piece of wood!

My car has a manual transmission in it. (5-speed). It's what I have and what I prefer (6 is good to, but with the Z3, we already have the performance benefit of the 6-speed--low, close ratios--and we don't need / I don't care about the gas-saving benefits of the 6-speed--I say I don't care because the car gets like 26 miles per gallon which is pretty good for a sporty roadster ).

I like automatics though. There's nothing wrong with them. Especially those new BMW ones (as of 2006). The Z4 si had a crazy-fast transmission. Shifts took place right when I pulled the paddle, and were done with punishment in mind. Sure, torque converters aren't quite as efficient as our traditional clutch setups, but they're still pretty good!

Just out of curiosity: do you guys consider the SMG (DSG, and the like) to be manual transmissions? I'm just curious. I've always considered them Automatic-shifting Manuals. Maybe that should be an option.
    Tires are Evil. They MUST be destroyed.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster, 2000 Durango 5.9L, 1999 Ram 1500
    The roady has a 5 speed stick, but my other two cars, (Dodge Durango and Ram), are automatics. I wouldn't want the roady to be an automatic and I wouldn't want manual trannys in my SUV and Pickup. It's all about what use I have for each car.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast