Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R U thinking about adjustable trailing arm mounts?

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap

R U thinking about adjustable trailing arm mounts?

This is why you want to think very hard on the subject. Even with the serrated plates, if you don’t check that the bolts are tight in very regular intervals a quite unexpected turn of events can happen.
    I notice something wrong at about 9 seconds on the in car view. You can hear the wheel rubbing shortly after, as the rear wheel toes out, and sends the car into a pirouette. Luckily no walls were in the way.

Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    1999 M Coupe
    Woah, glad you're ok. What was the final damage?

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    None. Just rest the toe and tighten the bolts. Needs a good bath.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    Twinscrew M coupe
    thats definitely not something you want to find out mid race but its good that it didnt happen near any walls or next to other cars.

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    ...and after handily passing the Subaru and Nissan, too! I'll bet they were grinning (nervously) and grateful for your misfortune.

Glad you and the car are alright!

My Cars
    E368 / E30 M3 / 997 GT2
    Wow that was scary. Came out of nowhere, glad you're okay.

Thanks for the heads up on these. I've been suspicious of these adjusters since RF had all those issues with the install.

My Cars
    Z3 Track prepped DASC
    Quote Originally Posted by f50nut View Post
    Wow that was scary. Came out of nowhere, glad you're okay.

Thanks for the heads up on these. I've been suspicious of these adjusters since RF had all those issues with the install.
    I installed a set about the same time Randy was installing them on a customers car, its always good to follow someone like Randy through a procedure. I found there to be enough bolt protruding past the serrated plate to install another nut, i was concerned there was not enough thickness to that part to hold the bolt and locktite would not be a good idea there certainly not the Red, maybe some blue but the double nut has held fine for me. You do lose some security without that pinched locknut on the OEM part. I still think these will outperform the cam adjusters.
    I had that same spin a couple of times until I found a bent arm and installed these parts.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Safety wire?

My Cars
    '01 SG/IR S54 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Safety wire?
    Thats what I was thinking, or even better nord locks. too bad that damn thing would be a @#$% to change at this point ;(

PbFut, thanks for posting, guess what I'll be doing this evening??
    p.s. your coupe sounds amazing! and thats what I call trail braking!

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Ahhh, the joy of modifications!

Anytime you deviate from a standard part, there are compromises...

Glad that Lady Luck was with you in the cockpit Dan!

My Cars
    Z3 Track prepped DASC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcar View Post
    Thats what I was thinking, or even better nord locks. too bad that damn thing would be a @#$% to change at this point ;(

PbFut, thanks for posting, guess what I'll be doing this evening??
    p.s. your coupe sounds amazing! and thats what I call trail braking!
    Nord locks will not work, they are just a fancy lock washer, the bolt threads into the serrated plate. The double nut is the best way. No where to put a safety wire. I have seen pictures of homemade tricks to keep the bolt from loosening but they are pretty creative at best.

My Cars
    1999 M Coupe, 2000 GTI
    Are we talking about the rear trailing arm camber/toe adjustment kit or something else?

I am very glad to hear that nothing is damaged.

My Cars
    ModelS;CayenneD;M5;MCx2
    Been there... during a night enduro nonetheless... I ended up using red loctite after we got the final settings for toe/camber in place.
    Glad ur ok Dan... and this after Dan spent all day changing a front wheel bearing at the track!!!

Patrick

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Yes this was the rear Trailing Arm Camber/Toe Kit. Please don't get me wrong. There is need for this kit in some cases. It just seems to me I see a lot of street cars attempting to correct minor issues with this nuclear devise. It is perfect for the right need, and owner is aware of down sides.

Yes on Friday practice, in anticipation of some good, long needed, seat time, I roll off the trailer with an undiscovered failing left front wheel bearing discovered after 12 laps. Not a lot of those in Bakersfield on a Friday afternoon. Fellow Time Trialer found one in Long Beach and picked up for me on the way up. I had the bearing swapped out in under 15 min. Then Sat morning this happened. 30 min fix. Then had to Dyno the car to class for an event next month at Laguna Seca and missed 3rd session because the idiot in front of me decides to retune on the wheel. Late to grid on 4th session while instructing another driver and locked out. So only two 20 min sessions on Saturday. Then on Sunday morning, the Right front bearing decides to start grumbling in second session. At that point I put it on the trailer and called it a weekend. So instead of 4 hours on track I got 1 total. I am not sure why, but Buttonwillow is a jinx track for me. Every time I drive up there, I bust something. Rant over, need to eat dinner.
    Last edited by PbFut; 06-04-2013 at 10:09 PM.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    ModelS;CayenneD;M5;MCx2
    Sorry for sunday... the heat did in the diff, if was fried 2+ hours into the enduro.
    Note to the community - diff cooler is necessary on these cars, if you are running anything more than a sprint race.

My Cars
    '01 SG/IR S54 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by albrazzi View Post
    Nord locks will not work, they are just a fancy lock washer, the bolt threads into the serrated plate. The double nut is the best way. No where to put a safety wire. I have seen pictures of homemade tricks to keep the bolt from loosening but they are pretty creative at best.
    Ahhh, I didnt know the posi-lock style threaded directly into one of the end plates/no nut. Ive got the standard IE kit.

Nord locks do work though, very well, standard lock washers dont do anything, and loc-tite is a band-aid that adds some torque retention. We did extensive testing on suspension joints with various fastening/locking methods, other than safety wire, nord locks are best (side note: the other thing we learned is that loc-tite doesnt do anything if you're using coated fasteners/holes-nuts, one of the two needs to be uncoated/ferrous or we need to use a primer). I still think a nord lock under the bolt head would help on the posi-lock style, if the bolt backs out a little it will still retain clamp force. got me thinking...I may add them to my standard kit next winter, no desire to pull it all apart again this year...

Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    Yes this was the rear Trailing Arm Camber/Toe Kit. Please don't get me wrong. There is need for this kit in some cases. It just seems to me I see a lot of street cars attempting to correct minor issues with this nuclear devise. It is perfect for the right need, and owner is aware of down sides.
    +1, I couldnt deal with 8k rear tire life due to worn insides. Are you using the posi-lock style plates?

Quote Originally Posted by trkshoe View Post
    Sorry for sunday... the heat did in the diff, if was fried 2+ hours into the enduro.
    Note to the community - diff cooler is necessary on these cars, if you are running anything more than a sprint race.
    ouch. were you using the standard finned cover or the rouge with additional fins?
    Last edited by Bcar; 06-05-2013 at 09:24 AM.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    I too would like to know if the passive rear diff cooler fins are enough, or if you're recommending additional cooling for long track sessions?

My Cars
    Z3's...
    Quote Originally Posted by trkshoe View Post
    Been there... during a night enduro nonetheless... I ended up using red loctite after we got the final settings for toe/camber in place.
    Glad ur ok Dan... and this after Dan spent all day changing a front wheel bearing at the track!!!

Patrick
    I remember that weekend. When you came in looking at the rear wheel I knew exactly what had happened. It happened to me two weeks earlier, lost both the nut and washer on drivers right toe adjuster. Lucily I was able to get a new ecentric nut and washer from Jeff just in time to make my race weekend.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Quote Originally Posted by BenFenner View Post
    I too would like to know if the passive rear diff cooler fins are enough, or if you're recommending additional cooling for long track sessions?
    To some degree it depends on the diff setup and condition of discs and track you run. The more slip, the more heat. But I would say anything over 45mins on track needs to seriously consider a remote cooler, even if the diff is in good shape. That is just my opinion. You will likely get a wide range on this. 30min or under and reasonably good condition diff, you're fine. Remember club sessions of 30 minutes is about 20 on track. So unless you are running some fairly long races, like Patrick, you will be fine.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    ModelS;CayenneD;M5;MCx2
    Quote Originally Posted by BenFenner View Post

Stock fins with an incredible diff made by Jim Blanton (anything less wouldn't have lasted that long)... I agree with Dan, anything more than 45 minutes requires a diff cooler. Keep in mind, it was over 100 degrees at buttonwilow this past weekend, even at the night enduro start time (6:15) it was well into the 90's.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Oh boy... now all of us Z3 drivers with camber/toe weld in tabs are going to go under and check it out. I will put some red loc-tite, wouldn't like this to happen on the road. It has been around 10,000 miles with them on. Thanks for the warning.

Now I've seen some pictures online (forgot where) of some vey customized trailing arms that had adjustments welded in the arm itself (on the part of the "A")? Anyone have info on those?
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    Horse drawn chariot
    Checking these nuts as become regular PM for me. I always check on these things when my car is in the air.
    When I bought the car it came with Kmac camber/ toe bushings and both the inner nuts were mms loose, as the bolt were too short for the Teflon nut to work properly.

Sent from zero f$@ks given.
    "My man did you simply get carried away with your dramatic gesture or were you pointing your water gun at me with lethal intentions ?"

My Cars
    99 Coupe Hell Yeah Red
    I'm sorry if I missed it, but what kind of tabs did you weld in? The notched type? Also, It would be interesting to hear what people use for their torquing procedure. Its not easy to get a wrench in there, let alone a torque wrench. I know that you load the suspension before torquing, but I'm more interested in the wrench placement/torquing methods used.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Use a socket on ujoint to an extender to a long handle ratchet. Use 1/2 tools. Works very well and you get the most leverage that way.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    1999 Z3 MC, 2000 540it
    I'm not sure what to call it..... How about the bolt that has a flat edge along the splines in combination with double nut. The second nut has the allen set screw to clamp it in place to prevent nut rotation.. The flat edge would only have to be at the end of the bolt, not the entire length.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast